Folic acid

Shanny128

Reaction score
I'm 18 weeks now and absolutely terrible at remembering to take my folic acid. I feel so guilty when I forget to take it. Anyone else the same?

I forget to take my pills aaaaallllllll the time. I have two different bottles by my bed, one in my bathroom, and one on my desk at work and somehow it still doesn't help. My husband would shoot me if he knew!

My midwife told me to stop Folic Acid at 13 weeks. But I still take Iodine.

In the U.K. You are recommended to take vitamin D and folic acid all the way through the pregnancy and whilst you are breastfeeding. Folic acid is most vital up to 12 weeks whilst baby's developing so much.

Oh interesting, I'll ask her at my next visit if I should still be taking them she didn't really tell me when to stop or never asks if I need anymore either. Thanks holly ttc, that makes me feel a lot better!

In the U.K. You are recommended to take vitamin D and folic acid all the way through the pregnancy and whilst you are breastfeeding. Folic acid is most vital up to 12 weeks whilst baby's developing so much.

Thank you! I'm in the U.K. too, I'll try my best to remember every day, I was taking it daily at first but got lazy!

I'm in the UK and my midwife told me I could stop taking it after the first trimester. Its importance in preventing Spina Biffida is during the first 12-14 weeks when the neural tube is forming. After that, the tube is fully formed and nothing you take would make a difference to babies spinal health.

However, folic acid is also just a really important vitamin in life in general! Hence why it's fortified in bread & cereal etc. Keeps your blood cells healthy and can help combat aneamia. So there is no harm in continuing to take it as a supplement through pregnancy & life! I carried on until I ran out of tablets at about 36 weeks. Haven't bothered buying anymore as I'm confident I get enough in my diet. I just take Vitamin D3 these days, which I've taken for a few years. We don't get much sun in the UK to get enough naturally! :)

I stopped taking it because it was making me ill, my midwife said it's best to be healthier than as I was puking them up anyway.

But if you put them next to the fridge you're likely to remember :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->