Food for 4 year olds

River54

Reaction score
Just asking opinions on what foods your 4 year old eats and how much of it.

We are going to be away with my side of the family, and we are tasked with getting all the groceries for the week...basically a pile of adults and 4 x 4 yr olds...our dd is 17 now, so it has been awhile. Obviously we'll ask the parents, but just trying to get an idea until then.

It varies. My son eats a good portion of cooked food but he doesn't really snack, other 4 yrs old are snackers. I think most 4 yrs old love yoghurts & fruits for snacks (my son hates fruits). Some frozen meals like chicken nuggets/ fish fingers & pizza for picky eaters?

My son is picky & he doesn't eat cooked meals unless they're prepared at home. When we sleep out he lives on yoghurts, fruit pots, chicken nuggets, fish finger & pizza. If we're staying out in a place with cooking facility I take with me some canned veggies & rice to prepare simple stews for him. His meals are varied at home this is why it doesn't really bother me if he doesn't get a good variety when out.

Many 4 yrs old love pasta & eggs but again my son won't touch those. I think it's best if you check with their parents.

In my experience four year olds are pretty good but know what they like and won't even try what they don't. it might be worth asking the parents for their kids top three dinners as lunches are usually easier.
My four year old loves smokes salmon bagels, tuna sandwiches, cheese on toast, hummus, omelette etc for lunches and spag bol, roasts, pasta, fish pie, fish and chips
Snacks - apples, pears, blueberries, strawberries, bananas, rice cakes, breadsticks and of course chocolate, cake, ice cream, crisps......

I wouldn't buy separately for them, I would expect them to eat what the adults do. If any parent has a particularly fussy child they will probably cater themselves for that child, or at least tell you what they like. My son at 4 mainly ate sausage rolls, so anytime family were buying I would either tell them to buy some or bring some with me.

Thanks everyone - we are leaving tomorrow. I asked the boys what they liked, and I got apples & applesauce, carrots, avocado, pizza, and macaroni.
I can't ask their mum, as she doesn't talk to my brother, but I think we have a good idea now what they'll eat. My biggest fear was that the boys didn't like stuff so they didn't eat. But I think it'll be good now. Should have lots of options for everyone.

I just give Hannah a variety of options. She has fruits and yogurts and cheese string and crackers throughout the day when she wants it. Breakfast is generally cereal but sometimes oatmeal or an egg and bagel and dinner is almost always what we have. Sometimes she'll eat oatmeal if she doesn't like the meal I have......

Quantity wise Hannah isn't a big eater--her 1 year old brother eats about the same amount as her! for example for dinner she'll have 1 chicken tender, a couple of spoonfuls of whatever veg we have and whatever carb we happen to be having......(she is a carb eater though I have to watch her on this). Not really sure this is typical though

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->