For all those just starting to WTT and needing help!

Lullahbelle12

Pregnant - 1st Trimester
Reaction score
I don't know if this is of any help to anyone but I went to the doctors this morning and got some family planning advice so thought I'd share it cos I know how clueless I was when I first started thinking about WTT/TTC!

Basically, the nurse advised me to start taking folic acid (I'm four months away from TTC) and to basically make sure I have a healthy diet and partake in some exercise. Also OH needs to scrap the Y-fronts (!!!) and start wearing loose fitting underwear (i.e. boxers) and not to wear tight jeans/trousers etc. This is because his testicles (sorry!) will be held too close to his body and the sperm will be heated up which kills it off. It goes without saying that you are advised to stop smoking and it is advised to stay away from alcohol.

She said basically in the run up to TTC, that's all you need to do! She advised not to get too stressed about things in the first 12 months and to just take it easy and let nature take it's course. If you want to be a bit more organised then she said that you ovulate approximately 14 days after the first day of your period and you should start getting jiggy with it about four days before that up until about four days after. This is because ovulation dates are not hard and fast and can come early or late. She said that ideally you should be getting jiggy about every other day as if you do it too much, the sperm that is created is too immature (as it hasn't had chance to develop) and won't be as good as if he's saved it up for a day (so tell OH that he's not allowed to give himself a treat!!!).

Anyway, sorry it's a long one, I just wanted to pass on the above as it was very useful for me and at least gives you a brief guide as to where to start! Obviously the above is only a guide and it's recommended that you speak to your own doctor/nurse when the time comes.

Happy WTT/TTC!!!!

thanx for passing this on hunni!! am wtt in abou 4 months time 2! i c ur gettin married soon 2, am gettin married in nov!! cant w8 :)

Thank you for the information! I didn't know tighter underwear made any difference!! :)

thanx for passing this on hunni!! am wtt in abou 4 months time 2! i c ur gettin married soon 2, am gettin married in nov!! cant w8 :)

Congratulations!! I'm so excited about the wedding and TTC. It feels a bit real now that I'm going to start taking folic acid!!

How are you getting on with your wedding plans?

xxx

Thanks for that hon!Some great advice there xx

its goin ok now. were gettin married in mexico theres 14 of us goin over so it was hard 2 please every1 but its all cummin 2gether now :D how about u? yer am gonna start takin f.acid 2!

Thanks for this post! I had no idea about the underwear thing either. I don't know if I'll convince the fiance though. He's hooked on the boxer briefs. I am looking to TTC in the next 2-4 months so I've started with the folic acid. I also didn't realize about BD'ing every other day. That is definitely useful!

Thanks again.

LOL. We went to ASDAs yesterday and I noticed my DH had put a multipack of boxer shorts in the trolley :laugh2: I'd told him a few weeks ago that he needs to keep his sperms nice and cool!.

Thanks darling, I knew I had to take folic acid but I didn't know it had to be so soon!! So I'll start taking it in september as I'll start TTC in december...

Thanks for sharing your nurse's advise!

If you want to be a bit more organised then she said that you ovulate approximately 14 days after the first day of your period and you should start getting jiggy with it about four days before that up until about four days after.

I'd like to add to that that this is only a rough rule. If you have very long or very short cycles it won't apply to you. I've recently started taking my morning temperature and it's SO exciting to see what my body is up to so I can only recommend that. It gives you a much better idea about when you're ovulating and generally helps you to understand your body a lot better. And it gives you confirmation that "everything is working the way it should" even before you actually TTC which makes waiting a lot easier for me.

If anyone's intersted, I read "Taking charge of your fertility" by Toni Wechsler on this subject and think it's really useful and easy to read. It gives you advise both on contraception and on TTC.

This is really handy info!!
Who knew OH's baggy pants actually had a good reason to be baggy!?!?!? Will encourage him to wear baggy ones from now on!

Just one question, when everyone starts TTC, are they going to the doctors first to get advice etc or just doing it yourself? Been wondering about this and keep forgetting to ask

Thanks

xxx

Im just going to go it, the only advice they will give you is the stuff we allready know, like folic acid, stopping smoking ect etc so i dont see the point.

Yeah good point but I think I'm going to go anyway. I'm anaemic and pretty sure that it's not good when ttc so going to see how I can sort it out properly. Maybe get some advice on eating healthily....?

This is really handy info!!
Who knew OH's baggy pants actually had a good reason to be baggy!?!?!? Will encourage him to wear baggy ones from now on!

Just one question, when everyone starts TTC, are they going to the doctors first to get advice etc or just doing it yourself? Been wondering about this and keep forgetting to ask

Thanks

xxx

Hi Jilly,

I wouldn't have gone especially for family planning as I think they tell you a lot of things you already know. I was in for a smear so thought I might as well as while I was there.

If you have any questions there's a load of ladies on here who know everything you need to know!

Good luck with the TTC!

xxx

I just bought some multivitamins today which contains Folic Acid.
I wont be TTC until Dec but i rather take them earlier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->