• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

For anyone dealing with the dreaded silent reflux...

lgc

Reaction score
Just wanted to share that after months of trialling different forumulas / meds / doses we seem to finally have lo's severe silent reflux somewhat under control. My lo is 21 weeks / 13 corrected and been suffering from silent reflux since 3 weeks old. He would scream in pain most of the time and had stopped putting on weight (already being v.low birth weight due to IUGR). He'd got to the point where he couldn't tolerate lying down at all and we were doing shifts to hold him 24/7 - tiring isn't the word! After trialling nutramigen & ranitidine of various doses we're now using neocate formula, thick & easy thickener and omeprazole (losec mups) and it really does seem to be working.

The reason I'm posting is not to gloat but to try to offer reassurance to anyone going through a similar situation that if you perservere and get the right formula & meds things can improve. Don't settle for things being slightly better, keep pushing to get the right meds. We had to increase the dose of omeprazole before we saw a real difference too. We still have bad days, and his symptoms creep back every few weeks as his weight increases so we have to keep increasing the dose, but he can now consistently lie down, is not in pain all the time and is gennerally a happy boy (except when over tired as he just doesnt like napping...but hey ho there'll always be something to deal with!).

Just hope this can offer a little hope for someone, I know I liked reading success stories.
x x

Our 32 weeker is on zantac and prevacid. He is 4 months (2 adjusted). We feed him upright and hold him upright for 30 minutes after each feeding to give his little tummy time to digest his milk. He's on 100% breastmilk with 2 teaspoons of rice cereal for every 2 oz. (recommended by pediatrician)

Thank you lgc for posting this. I needed to know there's light at the end of the tunnel after this week!

:hug:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"