For anyone that has had a d&c

ButterflyK

Reaction score
I was just talking to a friend that had a d&c over a year ago and was just diagnosed with Ahermans syndrome. I would advise any ladies who have had a d&c in the past and had miscarraiges since to do some research on it, also anyone thinking about a d&c

Thanks for the info.

Just incase anyone wants to look it up it is Asherman's Syndrome.

I hope your friend is okay.

x

I'm so sorry for your friend! That's just terrible.

I was so worried about Asherman's syndrome that I put off having a D&C for a month, but in the end, I was falling apart emotionally and really needed the intervention to avoid having a nervous breakdown. I didn't really understand what people meant about having a D&C for "closure" until I went through it myself.

But there's always that nagging fear about risks, isn't there? The chances are so small that it will render you infertile, but the stakes are so high.

I wish it never happened to anybody.

OMG, the instance of AS is WAY higher than I thought. Now I'm totally scared about this.

But I'm still getting my periods. So that's a good sign, right?

WOW. I did not know about this at all...and the statistics are shockingly high. I was expecting like 4 or 5%, not 25+!! I just had my D&C 2 1/2 weeks ago, and now I may need another because I have too much tissue left in me.

This really concerns me because like most women with PCOS I don't get regular periods to begin with, so how would I know if this was an issue?

For those curious this is an excerpt from Wikipeida:

"AS has been reported to result from 25% of D&Cs performed 1–4 weeks post-partum, up to 30.9% of D&Cs performed for missed miscarriages and 6.4% of D&Cs performed for incomplete miscarriages. In another study, 40% of patients who underwent repeated D&C for retained products of conception after missed miscarriage or retained placenta developed AS.

In the case of missed miscarriages, the time period between fetal demise and curettage may increase the likelihood of adhesion formation due to fibroblastic activity of the remaining tissue.

The risk of AS also increases with the number of procedures: one study estimated the risk to be 16% after one D&C and 32% after 3 or more D&Cs, however a single curettage often underlies the condition."

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->