For those doing traditional weaning

golcarlilly

Proud mum of 2
Reaction score
Can I ask how long after you started weaning and at what age you started to offer finger foods?

We have been weaning Myles for 5 weeks now and he is having some purees some mashed foods and we have given him cucumber peices and some toast fingers to hold but he does gag on them a lot and my dh is not happy about carrying on for now, I am confused as to what to do!

Sam didn't really eat anything until he was over 7 months so I offered finger foods from the start. If you are worried you could maybe wait until he is 6 months but it is normal for babies to gag I think.

Izzy had finger foods around 6 months, when she was able to pick things up easily and put in her mouth. She had been eating food since just after 4 months. Although I would have introduced finger food at 6 months regardless of when she started weaning.

I have heard finger foods from 6 months, we gave the odd finger food but lo wasnt too interested, only started weaning with purees at 6 months too though.
He still isnt the pro at finger foods but can hold a rusk and munch it :)

We offered finger foods at 5 months and LO kept gagging etc wasn't going well, so we laid off for a few weeks and re-introduced at 6 months - the difference was amazing so maybe just give it a little time?

Good Luck!

Casen started having purees at about 5 1/2mo and by 6-6 1/2mo he was eating "table foods" and then by 10mo he was fully off purees and only having regular food

We started weaning Pops at just over 4 months and introduced finger foods at approx 5 1/2 months. She gagged a lot to start (quite badly) but after being offered finger foods for about a week she stopped gagging and rarely does it now. She will now eat Stage 2 jars, lumpy food and she chews on all different types of finger foods :thumbup: Keep giving it a go hun, I read a thread on BLW which explained the difference between choking and gag reflex and it helped me relax a bit xx

I weaned Chloe and Jaycee at 4 months, They were hungry all the time and as they were prem I was told to just try them on small amounts of puree so I did.

I started with breakfasts and soft stuff like that and then when they had established that and were able to pick things up i gave them stuff to hold.

Only recently, Maybe 5 weeks have a been giving them sandwiches, They like the crust but it has to be cut off and seperate to the sandwich and then they will eat it lol.

I think it is all about when you are comfortable and if your there and watching and baby dont get on with it then wait.

Hope you find your right time x

I did rice cereal at 3 months because of her reflux and continued with purees for awhile.. I gave random finger foods to play with from 6 months and she has made the transition to finger foods and spoon feeding herself perfectly. We have not had any choking or gagging.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->