For those that BLW

TigerLady

CaveTiger Clan Mama
Reaction score
Just a few questions, if you don't mind taking the time to answer...

Looking around, I can see that some ladies started BLW before 6 months, some at 6 months, and maybe even some after 6 months. So for those that BLW:

Exactly what age did you choose to start (In months and weeks if you remember)?

What "I'm ready" signs did you wait for or did you base it soley on age?

How did your first few attempts go? (ie did they ignore the food, were able to grab it or not, able to take it to their mouth or not, etc)

Do you think you started at the right time or, looking back, could you have started earlier or should you have waited longer?

Just trying to get a general idea of what moms with 20/20 hindsight think. :mrgreen:

Just a few questions, if you don't mind taking the time to answer...

Looking around, I can see that some ladies started BLW before 6 months, some at 6 months, and maybe even some after 6 months. So for those that BLW:

26 weeks/6 months. She had had a few sticks of cucumber the week before, more because I thought it might help her teeth than for food. But nothing other than that 'til 6 months.

Solely on age, but I knew by then that she had had the 'ready signs' for many weeks. (Sitting unsupported/putting stuff in her mouth/wanting my food)

How did your first few attempts go? (ie did they ignore the food, were able to grab it or not, able to take it to their mouth or not, etc)

Her first food (apart from the one go at cucumber) was apple, I knew it was a bit hard for her but it was off our tree so I wanted it to be the first one! So she licked and sucked it a bit, she has never sucked madly at stuff like other babies on here, she more bites bits off and either spits it out or swallows it, lol! She pulls a lot of disgusted faces still, but she seems to like everything anyway.

Do you think you started at the right time or, looking back, could you have started earlier or should you have waited longer?

I think I could have waited longer actually, now a month later she still isn't that bothered about solid food. If it weren't for my family pestering me I may have waited 'ti 7 months I think.

Just trying to get a general idea of what moms with 20/20 hindsight think. :mrgreen:

:D

Aww, I love that her first food was from your own apple tree! I hope you got pics of that. What a great idea!

We offered her the odd stick of veg from 24-25 weeks but only started offering her our food at mealtimes from 26 weeks.

Solely on age, she had some of the 'ready' signs though, such as sitting unsupported, reaching and grabbing and bringing things to her mouth.

She stared at the food, squashed it with her hands, waved it around then dropped it. She sometimes licked it briefly.

Started at exactly the right time. She isn't eating more than a couple of mouthfuls per day now at 31 weeks, and wouldn't miss solids if not offered but all the attempts at eating, even though mostly unsuccessful, are excellent practice for her and great for her developing fine motor skills.

Aisling was 5 months and 1 week old. She had the ready signs for quite a while and I weaned when I did on GP advice due to very poor weight gain. She also had purees until she was nearly 7 months old.

Based on GP advice

She completely ignored it for a long time! Then she'd poke the food.. Took a long time for her to pick it up etc

Looking back I wish I'd trusted my instincts and waited until 6 months to wean her, she wasn't exactly wasting away! Threats of referrals to the pediatrician scared me though :(

When did we start? 5 1/2 months old

Ready signs or age? She met all the "requirements" in the bible and I couldn't wait any longer was too excited haha! Plus I didn't think a couple of weeks would make much difference as she wouldn't be eating any yet anyway.

First attempts? Depends on what you class as "well".... She was interested but she couldn't pick the food up. But then I wouldn't expect any different. After a few attempts she started to get the hang of picking things up so I say it went very well! She had very good hand-eye coordination before we started so she never really 'missed' her mouth much.

Looking back.. I think we choose the right age. Don't see any point starting earlier and she was definately ready when we did start.

HTH x

Exactly 6 months here to the day. She had a couple of cucumber chunks and some toast.

Solely on age, Mailie I believe wasn't really ready to be weaned and wasn't showing any signs but she does love her food now.

First attempt went amazingly, she knew what to do straight away, a lot of praise was given and she wolfed everything down!

If I could've waited longer I would've done, probably by a month because she ended up getting quite constipated until around 7 months when everything clicked into place.

Thank you, ladies! All of this information has been very helpful so far!! :thumbup:

25 weeks and 2 days
A bit of both really, he's had the odd stick of cucumber and tomato now and again but he had breakfast with me yesterday and then lunch and dinner today so I think we are officially starting weaning. He can sit up unsupported, he reaches for my food and will chew it, and he's almost 26 weeks and I'm too impatient to wait 5 days
He is sucking and chewing it, but most of it goes on the floor/his lap as he see's the next piece and wants to try that one
I think we have started at the right time because for the past 2 weeks he has started sitting, will eat from my plate if I let him, he even tried to grab a strawberry and white chocolate muffin from my OH!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->