For those that have weaned a premmie

Dona

Reaction score
I started weaning Archie at 5 1/2 months actual and now 4 weeks later he is on 3 meals a day and loving it. It says in a book that I should be dropping his 10pm dream feed and then a few more weeks down the line one during the day i.e. his lunchtime one.

As Archie is only really 14 weeks corrected and weighs in at a stone, I really don't want to be dropping bottles even though he is on 3 meals a day. I am scared that he wont put weight on if a couple of bottles are dropped.

What did you do? Am I just being paranoid. This is when I get all confused, should I follow a normal baby weaning plan or do I treat Archie different as he really is a 3 month old at heart LOL.

Help before I go mad..!

Dona xxx

I started weaning Hannah at 5 1/2 months too and she is just over 6 months now and on 3 meals a day, i breast feed so she has a feed after every meal and 4 others in the day. I have had 4 babies and weaned them all at different times but treated them all the same. Hannah now only weighs 12lb 10oz!

When they don't want that milk any more they will refuse it. The more solids you give over time they naturally reduce their milk intake at each feed until they don't "need" it any more by 12 months.

Do not just stop a milk feed hun just because they will let you know when they don't want it any more. HTH xxx

Hi, I agree Logiebear
We started weaning Charlotte when she was a corrected age of 4 weeks and weighing 9 lbs ! (She was born at 24 weeks) I would just go with your instinct and not what a book says. Charlotte is now 2 and still has her milk before bed, together with a biscuit now. If he still wants his milk, and still eats well then I say go for it, he obviously needs it. When he starts to push it away then maybe think about cutting down but until then Id carry on. Your baby takes the decisions now so throw that book away !

Love
Sam

I weaned Molly at 4 months and didnt drop any feeds. She let me knmow when she wanted to drop them. She now only has 3 bottles a day, and its a struggle to get those down her, but she loves her solids. I was worried about her weight as her milk intake has gone right down but she is fine.

Poppy didn't drop her milk feeds in the day for a while and although now she mostly just has morning and night she occasionally wants one mid afternoon too. Like the other girls say, your LO will let you know when to drop them

I started weaning Matthew just less than 5 and a half months actual age, but he would get really distressed a few hours later and then massive poo's Dr advised holding off if we can til corrected 6 months (just under 4 months corrected now) as although hes showing signs of being ready, his body maybe not :cry: which has hit me like a ton of bricks as he's developed and met his milestones roughly at his actual age so far or only be a few weeks its hit home that some things he really will be behind and my mind is silly to be in overdrive that he going to have feeding probs, so ill be stalking all you girls on the feeding front for a while to see how everyone is getting on.

It is lovely to hear thay so many prem babies are tuckng into their grub at this age when you think back to those 1ml an hour tube feeds only a few months back..................... x

Thanks Girls. I am now throwing that book away and letting Archie tell me when not to give him milk. Up to now he is eating milk and 3 meals so I will plod on with that!

Love to you all and your little ones. xxx

Mikayla is now almost weaned! Only took a few weeks and she refuses her bottles most of the time and prefers solids. I think she is preobbaly meant to be having more milk than she actually deos - but she's happy enough so so am I x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->