For those who formula feed, when will/did you move on to follow-on milk?

Gradually around 6 months - gimmick or not - I can get clubcard points on it which save money off the shopping, we transitioned her over gradually in case of constipation/squits and she's been fine on it. Our local Tesco also seems to have stock issues with both stage 1 and hungry baby formula (and bread... and potatoes... but that's another story) and regularly runs out - they haven't not had the follow-on in stock yet.

As for not liking cows' milk - she'll demolish a yoghurt on sight, and she's perfectly happy to have cows' milk on cereal - so I'm not worried on that front.

Started at 6 months, hasn't made a difference really but he's on solids so I think that's what it's for x

Never. I never even heard of it until I joined BnB. I'm not even sure we have it in the US (I could be wrong though). I use Gerber and have seen "Gerber Good Start 2", but I think that's that toddler formula stuff that's a waste of money anyway.

Exactly 6 months when we started weaning.

never had any issues and as others said it cheaper.

No need to change to follow on, the NHS website even recommends staying on first milk. It has more nutrients in it :)

About 6 months and a week, she took to it straight away and the milk intake dropped from 5 bottles to 3.

She's completely content on follow on milk, she wasn't satisfied with first and I don't like hungry milk at all.

Sorry but I don't believe it's a gimmick, she's good with yogurt and will be introducing her to cows milk next month.

1+ milk I can understand as it has vanilla in it, and my friends son is still on it despite being nearly 3 as he cannot stand the taste of cows milk now.

Follow on tastes and smells the same as first so I don't see a problem at all. Health visitor was also quite happy with bubzys progress and happy that we switched to follow on so meh.

Clearly it's working well with weaning her, aswell. She has 2 meals and 1 snack a day along with the 3 bottles. Sleeps through the night also, she actually stopped sleeping through the night around 5 months because first milk wasn't satisfying her.

DD2 started follow-on milk at 8 months when she was having 3 meals a day. xxx

I think reality is its personal preference. If there was anything wrong with either they wouldn't put it on the shelves.

When I said 'gimmick' I simply meant there isn't much difference between the milks NOT that's its not good for babies.

Some replies have been removed.

I am hoping to place a better usergroup on the feeding sections in the new year allowing me the option to ban memberships from one of the other sections (such a shame it comes to this). In the mean time I am back on my word of zero tolerance and members are being asked to leave sections freely or their accounts are at risk.

If we could move on with the original topic now ladies and ignore anything you may or may not have seen :D

As others have said it's personal preference. I haven't used follow on with either of mine. This is because we are veggie and the kids don't eat fish directly (just the fish oil in formula) so I prefer to stay with first milk as it has twice the DHA of follow on. Also, they both ate/eat a lot of iron rich foods (prunes, spinach etc) so I didn't feel they needed the extra iron. So for us, first milk is the best. I would say look at the vitamins and minerals in each and decide what one is best for your LO based on their individual diet.

We switched at around 7.5 months, he was off milk & he was on AR formula, we switched gradually by mixing it with the AR. He liked it more than his AR formula.

We also used toddlers formula until 23 months, it was vanilla flavoured but sucrose free (Aptamil), he used to drink cow milk at 12 months + during the day & toddlers formula at bedtime. From 2+ yrs he's been drinking cow's milk only with no flavours or sugar. He didn't even notice when we weaned him off the toddlers milk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->