For those who got pregnant while breast feeding...

laodicean

Reaction score
... did your milk supply suddenly tank, and if so, when did it do so?

LO has been really fussy at the boob today, like there isn't enough there. Had my period return at 5 months, and am currently on day 18 of my second cycle. Have had an oopsie this month, so am now bricking it that I might be pregnant again :nope:

I've read that your supply can dip between ovulation and AF, and I certainly remember him being fussy last cycle for the last few days before AF but not this fussy.

Someone please tell me I'm just being silly and this is normal, cycle-related milk supply drop!

I'm not a medical professional nor did I get pregnant while breastfeeding (I'm hoping I will, though, my period hasn't made an appearance yet and baby is almost 11 months old), so I can't really say anything with any great conviction.

But - perhaps you've not had enough to drink recently or you're coming down with something and your supply is lower because of that? Was your oopsie around the critical time of the month?

But - perhaps you've not had enough to drink recently or you're coming down with something and your supply is lower because of that? Was your oopsie around the critical time of the month?

I hope sincerely that it's one of the first two options. Have drunk a couple of pints of squash this evening in an attempt to get through what is probably going to be a very long night if the day has been anything to judge by. Am otherwise feeling okay in myself, and LO doesn't seem to be coing down with anything or having a growth spurt. He's really fussy when feeding, but not feeding more often than usual.

Oopsie was three days ago. At the time I thought I was in the safe zone according to CM, but then got ovulation pains the next day. It'd be way too soon to be "pregnant", IYSWIM, but there is a chance I've been fertilised.

Basically I'm hoping everyone's going to say they didn't notice a drop until well into pregnancy, in which case this is all in my head and I should take a chill pill!

I didn't notice a drop when I got pregnant either times .

I had a drop around 5-6 weeks, but it seems to be back up to normal now. I've heard quite a lot of women experience a drop around that time.

Granted I was only bfing 2 to 3 times a day I didn't notice a drop until about 3 months in and that's when autumn decided to wean. Good luck!

Well I have about the same story and I have a 8 week old now:). My baby got really fussy at the breast and by 8 weeks pregnant I was supplementing with 1 bottle of frozen milk or formula a day and by 4.5 months pregnant I had to stop bfing.

I wouldn't change it though. Two this close in age has been so much easier that I thought. My lo1 still naps well so it's worked good.

My mom got pregnant while exclusively breastfeeding, but never had her period return (my sisters are only 11 months apart in age)
I have not gotten pregnant while breastfeeding, but my cycles are all over the place because of breastfeeding. My first cycle was 37 days long (Period returned at 5 months) and my second cycle was 47 days. I knew I wasn't pregnant because I refuse to have sex until my husband gets the all clear from his vasectomy. My supply does drop with each period.

Thanks, guys. I guess the normal spectrum is everything from from what I've got at the moment to no drop at all.

Had a horrible night; Widget had me up 6 times to feed and was fussy the rest of the time. Of course, he's absolutely sparkling this morning while I'm washed up on the sofa in my dressing gown counting down the seconds until I can take him for a nap.

Hopefully this all hormonal and down to ovulation and will pick up again over the next few days... or, even better, AF is just around the corner!

I've not noticed any difference. TBH I was hoping he would self wean like I hear happens with a lot of pregnant woman, but nope he's still going strong! apparently milk change happens around 20 weeks but I've heard on here a few ladies say it happened earlier, like 14 weeks, but not as early as you would be

Teething perhaps? Oral thrush? Something going on developmentally? Too much going on around you so baby is distracted? Self-weaning?

I hope you're ok and not worrying too much. Fingers crossed it all works out ok for you.

Something going on developmentally? Too much going on around you so baby is distracted?

Haha! That's just been the last 3 months of my life! I can't have him sitting on my lap with reach of a laptop/phone/remote control otherwise he devotes his full efforts on getting hold of it and chewing it. So yes, lots going on, but nothing new in the last couple of days.

I hope you're ok and not worrying too much. Fingers crossed it all works out ok for you.

We've kind of made our peace with it. I offered to take the morning after pill the next day and OH said he didn't want me to do that. It wouldn't be the best timing, but it's something we were going to do at some point. I just dread being pregnant again... really not very good at it!

Isaac had a monster growth spurt at just over 6 months, so it could be nothing at all to do with you and it's just him trying to build your supply a little!

First thing I noticed with both pregnancies has been sensitive nipples while he latches, rather than a supply thing. I think he's dry nursing at the moment, but at his age it doesn't matter so much for him to not be getting much milk. Keep an eye on his nappies, and as long as they're wet and he's not lethargic then I wouldn't panic too much just yet. At least you'll have an answer in a couple of weeks either way :flower:

... did your milk supply suddenly tank, and if so, when did it do so?

LO has been really fussy at the boob today, like there isn't enough there. Had my period return at 5 months, and am currently on day 18 of my second cycle. Have had an oopsie this month, so am now bricking it that I might be pregnant again :nope:

I've read that your supply can dip between ovulation and AF, and I certainly remember him being fussy last cycle for the last few days before AF but not this fussy.

Someone please tell me I'm just being silly and this is normal, cycle-related milk supply drop!

My first few cycles my supply massively dropped just after ovulation and until just after AF. Kelly mom has some interesting info on it. To overcome it I took calcium and magnesium supplements which worked straight away. Now I am on my 4th cycle my supply is not affected. As it is day 18 of your cycle I would guess that maybe you have just ovulated, more likely that have your supply affected so soon by pregnancy.

My first few cycles my supply massively dropped just after ovulation and until just after AF. Kelly mom has some interesting info on it. To overcome it I took calcium and magnesium supplements which worked straight away. Now I am on my 4th cycle my supply is not affected. As it is day 18 of your cycle I would guess that maybe you have just ovulated, more likely that have your supply affected so soon by pregnancy.

This is what I thought, and I noticed it last month as well, just not as extreme and sudden as this month has been. I think I even remember reading the article last month, thought to myself "must get some mag/cal supplements" and then promptly forgot!

I'm glad to hear it's been normal for some people. What I was wanting to make sure was that there weren't loads of women out there who had a supply tank on the cycle they got pregnant... not that there's anything I could do about it either way. But hopefully the paranoia demon won't be chewing so hard on me for the next ten days now!

Isaac had a monster growth spurt at just over 6 months, so it could be nothing at all to do with you and it's just him trying to build your supply a little!

First thing I noticed with both pregnancies has been sensitive nipples while he latches, rather than a supply thing. I think he's dry nursing at the moment, but at his age it doesn't matter so much for him to not be getting much milk. Keep an eye on his nappies, and as long as they're wet and he's not lethargic then I wouldn't panic too much just yet. At least you'll have an answer in a couple of weeks either way :flower:

Maybe it is just a growth spurt... fingers crossed. And I forgot about the sensitive nipples... urgh, that's not going to be fun to deal with if I am duffed up :dohh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->