For those who were induced - please share your experiences

I was induced when I was 12 days overdue. By the time I went into the delivery room to be started off I was so excited that I was finally going to have my baby.

When I first got to the hospital at 7am on the Wednesday morning a midwife gave me an internal to check how far dialated I was and to see if I needed any gel to soften my cervix. I didn't need the gel and was 1-2cm dialated. She also gave me another sweep at the same time.

I had to wait until 8.30pm Thursday evening before they had a room in the delivery suite for me but I still hadn't started having any contractions. I had my waters broken at 9pm and then had to wait an hour to see if labour would start naturally.

It didn't so I was hooked up to an iv drip and a machine to monitor both the baby's heartbeat any my contractions. I was still able to stand up and move around though - I wasn't confined to the bed.

My contractions started about 1.30am and the first couple were about 20 minutes apart but then all of a sudden they went to 2-2.5 minutes apart. I will be honest and say that they didn't hurt as much as I was expecting them to. I had heard that being induced can make labour hurt more so I was surprised that I managed to cope fairly well. I had a shot of pethedine fairly early on but then I did the rest on gas and air.

The midwife checked me at one point and I was 5cm dialated. Less than an hour later I was 10cm and on the bed pushing. Again this didn't hurt as much as I thought it would. The most painful bit for me was when I tore up and down because Fran came out with a hand up by her head.

My beautiful baby girl arrived at 8.26am on the Friday morning - so 7hrs from my contractions starting to holding her in my arms.

I hope that everything goes well for you and that your labour goes as smoothly as mine did xx

DON'T GET INDUCED UNLESS IT'S MEDICALLY NECESSARY!!! I was induced due to pre-ecclampsia and it caused me uterine hyperstimulation. 2 hours after they gave me the chemicals on my cervix I was fully dialated, vomiting from the pain and having non stop contractions. The nurse had 2 hands inside me trying to pull the baby out. The doctors kept shouting out my daughters dropping heart rate, there was so much shouting for me to push, and worry on the nurses faces. I really thought something bad was going to happen to my daughter. Since my baby and my body weren't physically ready for labor she went into distress and I had to have an emergency c-section. Luckily she was alright, but I am still dealing with the mental issues that come along with a traumatic life or death experience. Good luck and do not let them use cytotec on your cervix, turns out it is notorious for bad outcomes.

DON'T GET INDUCED UNLESS IT'S MEDICALLY NECESSARY!!! I was induced due to pre-ecclampsia and it caused me uterine hyperstimulation. 2 hours after they gave me the chemicals on my cervix I was fully dialated, vomiting from the pain and having non stop contractions. The nurse had 2 hands inside me trying to pull the baby out. The doctors kept shouting out my daughters dropping heart rate, there was so much shouting for me to push, and worry on the nurses faces. I really thought something bad was going to happen to my daughter. Since my baby and my body weren't physically ready for labor she went into distress and I had to have an emergency c-section. Luckily she was alright, but I am still dealing with the mental issues that come along with a traumatic life or death experience. Good luck and do not let them use cytotec on your cervix, turns out it is notorious for bad outcomes.

Glad your LO is okay, I don't think that (especially over here in the UK) they do induce you for anything other than medical reasons. the drs umm-ed and ahhh-ed about inducing me at term (39+4) and i was developing PE.

To the OP, hope everything has gone well and you havent been to worried :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->