For those with experience: To test with DH or surprise him with BFP?

mkyerby16

Reaction score
Hey! Just wanted to hear from you ladies who have gotten your BFPs (congrats!!!) :happydance: When you got your BFP was your OH with you when you saw the results, or did you tell him later? Whichever way you did it are you happy you chose that way, or do you wish you did the opposite (if he wasn't there do you wish he would have been, if he was do you wish you would have surprised him). Just curious!

I'll be taking my last bcp on Thursday and then DH and I will be TTC #1! I was just trying to decide if whenever I test I want him there or if I want to plan a surprise for him. He initially hinted that he wanted me to surprise him, but then said that it would be special to share that moment together. I've watched YouTube videos of pregnancy tests (I know I'm a loser) :haha: and sometimes when they're all alone it kind of makes me sad for some reason like they don't have anyone to share that special moment with and have to keep quiet. Maybe that's just me being weird though :shrug:

hey mkyerby

Here's my story :)

It's funny, my OH had said all along that he wanted to be with me when I tested. I was worried that he wouldn't be able to handle the bfn since he so desperately wanted to be a dad and he was 37 yrs old. So I tested on my own, then bought him a onesie that said "Me and My Daddy". I surprised him for lunch gave it to him and he said, "yeah one day..." I just smiled.. and he almost passed out LOL He was sooo surprised, I was so happy to be able to surprise him. He commented that I wasn't supposed to test alone hahaha but he loved the surprise, he actually hung up the onesie in his office until our ds was born :)

GOod luck TTC!!!

Kim

With DD I did the test on my own. When DH came home from playing football I told him as soon as he walked in the door and he said something like "oh right, nice one" then collapsed on the floor with a groin injury from football and was rolling around in pain. I didn't expect that to happen and found myself saying OMG are you ok!

With this one, I did a FMU before he got up for work as I woke up early because I was anxious to do the test first thing and when it turned positive I went into the bedroom and showed him the test and he blinked his eyes at it as he'd just woken up and said "oh right, that's good then". Not as dramatic as the first one this time around!

I did mine on my own I had been working in my mums shop on the day time and dh had been on a paint balling day with some friends for someone birthday I had been a bit upset in the day time and really felt down so when I got home I told him I wasn't going to the friends birthday party as had been working my mums shop as well as my own job as she was on holiday and I was tired so off he went to the party and I just had this feeling to do a test (we had been trying for over a year and had a miscarriage just under a year ago) when it come up with two strong line I had to ring him straight away I was in tears then dh was like are u joking I went no and I could hear him starting to get teary so I said I see u when u get home then I got a text from him saying I can't believe it I can't believe it. Best part was it was the day after his birthday. Sorry for the long post haha

I'm a hopeless romantic...I kept waving poas in his face asking if he could see a line! :haha:
I liked us sharing the excitement of finding out together though. :)

I wanted to surprise mine but he wanted to be there... But then he said I could surprise him. But the more I thought about it the more I wanted to share that moment with him because it would be the first for both of us.. And I'm happy with my decision to share it with him.
Maybe for babu #2 I will surprise him :)

I have done both. For my first I surprised dh and will admit, it was nerve wracking not having his support while I tested and *knew* what the result would be! But also exciting to have a secret all to myself for a short period of time and thinking about fun ways to tell him. Second time around, my pregnancy was a "surprise" and I recognized my symptoms right away. I became almost panicky (not about being pregnant but having to go through labour again, lol!) and felt compelled to tell him before testing. Personally, I preferred having him test with me. It was so nice sharing that moment with him and helped keep me calm.

I've always tested alone. To me, testing together may be great if you know you're going to get a bfp, but if it's a bfn, it may make the whole experience rather disappointing. I prefer to process the initial joy or sadness on my own, then if it's a bfp, look for an exciting way to tell him.

My hubby wanted to be very involved. So he was always asking what dates I would be testing. So those early mornings when I would sneak to the bathroom, he would always be awake when I got back. I got my BFP at 10 dpo and he said he "couldn't see the line". Sorta ruined the moment. So I posted on BnB and we got a good chuckle out of all the wise-ass remarks from the ladies about my blind husband.

Have you chatted with your OH about his wishes? Sometimes those men surprise us! Best of luck!

With my son, I tested without him but with my best friend. We were going out drinking that day and I wanted to make sure first. It came back positive!

With this one, I tested alone but as far as he knows, he tested with me. Lol I was too freaked out to tell him, so he bought a test and I took it with him there and it was blaring at that point. He appreciated the fact I "waited" (oops. lol) and said he was glad we found out together :blush:

I have tested both times on my own. The first time I had seen so many BFNs in 2 years trying that it had almost become routine and when I finally took the test I was so shocked to see a BFP. I took it to the train station to surprise my husband with when he got home from work!

This time we weren't trying and I took a test on the spur of the moment after finding one in my bathroom cabinet!

I guess it would have been nice for DH to be involved but I actually quite liked having a few hours to come to terms with it myself and have a little secret before sharing the news.

I tested alone both times because DH never gets up at the same time I do in the morning.

The first time, with DS, I woke him and said "I got two lines this morning!" He said "WOOO HOOO" and then literally rolled over and went back to sleep. :shrug:

Second and current pregnancy, I got a shadow of a line in the afternoon of 8dpo, so I tested again the next morning and got a decent line/still shadow so I told DH, "Whelp, looks like I may or may not be since it's way early" He never sees the lines until they are THERE, so I didn't bother to show him until about 12dpo when they were DARK! Then he started to get excited. :thumbup:

SO romantic right! :haha:

LOVE all these stories!!

With DD I tested on a whim, we weren't trying to get PG but we weren't preventing it either. I took the test a day after Christmas so I put it in a box and wrapped it like a present. When DH came home from work I gave the "present" to him and video'ed his reaction opening it up! :cloud9: I love watching it every now and then.

I've always done mine when hubby's been in the house (but hasn't known I was doing it) and then when they've been positive (three times - one mc, one healthy girl and one 'no idea what's going on as no scan for weeks!') I've taken them downstairs to show him.

I've always tested on my own mostly because DH isn't interested and I'd hate for him to see just how much of a poas addict I am. (4 tests at a time anyone? :haha:) But I've always told him if I got a positive right away. He's never been surprised as he claims he can tell when I'm pg before I can but doesn't say anything. We were both a little more surprised this time though as the lines I was getting were so faint we both thought evap lines until a digi came back Pregnant. I was more shocked at that point than he was!

I have always tested alone.. last time I knew I was pregnant and didnt tell him for a few days.. then I done a digital and passed it to him to wait for the results.. it popped up Pregnant 1-2

I've done both (sort of). My first bfp that I got was so light he didn't believe it so we tested together in the morning. It was amazing:)

Second one, I told dh that my son needed a diaper change (he was about 3 or 4 months old,lol) because he made a stinky poo! I wrote with Sharpee on his diaper--"I'm going to be a big brother!" Dh was surprised, and over the moon.

Love all of the stories! Thanks ladies. It's just nice to hear those that have actually experienced it and what they think looking back. I'm still not sure what I'll do when the time comes. He has mentioned that he'd like to be surprised, but also said it would be nice to have that moment together.

with our first pregnancy (mc at 11wks 5 days) we were at the airport so i tested alone then showed him, second pregnancy did the test and didnt look just handed it to him, third I emailed him the picture of the test, fourth I text him the picture of the test, for the 5th he was out when i took the test so I called him and told him while he was having a breakfast out with his Mates, and this time round I called him upstairs to ask him if the line looked pink to him :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->