For those WTT for their 1st baby. Would you buy all new stuff or accept second hand

Hobnob

Mummy to a girl, TTC #2
Reaction score
As above.

We WTT til Dec 09 and already we've been offered loads of second hand stuff, which we'll be more than grateful to accept. Baby stuff is so expensive and they grow out of it so quickly.

What are your thoughts ?

We have been looking at loads of stuff to get ideas and we too will buy / take second hand on some stuff.

We would like a new pushchair, cot, baby set and highchair BUT if we saw the ones we want in good condition on eBay then we would buy them.

xxx

We have been looking at loads of stuff to get ideas and we too will buy / take second hand on some stuff.

We would like a new pushchair, cot, baby set and highchair BUT if we saw the ones we want in good condition on eBay then we would buy them.

xxx

We've said we'd do this too.

I would probably want some stuff new but I think I would take second hand stuff. Especially clothes!

Bit of Both! :) Found a cot in Ikea for less than £30, so no we wont be buying second hand cot, just buying a new cheap one! lol, im a bit of a bargain hunter and hardly ever buy anything full price, wait for it to come down in the sales lol xx

I think a bit of both. I think it will be hard to not want to buy new stuff, but at the same time, there are gonna be things out there that we'd be happy to accept/buy that is second hand. I think it completely depends what it is.

I really want to buy new pram, cot, etc. But clothes and stuff I am sure I will be happy with 2nd hand, as long as they are still in good condition :D x

i have already had one but i wanted crib, stroller and car seat new other stuff was happy if it was second hand.

I will buy new (see my wish list on the other thread(, but of course if I was offered things, I would accept them. There is one newborn in the family, so I would be grateful if they passed anything on.

I would happily accept second hand, especially for stuff like clothes. I'd want af first hand car seat, but as neither me nor my fiance drive yet I would expect things like that to be bought by our parents for their use and we'd buy new as and when we need it, for example if we knew we were going to use a friend's car we'd buy a car seat for that reason. DF's parents have a car seat anyway. I don't know how happy I'd be looking on Ebay for second hand- I'd probably use the shops more than individual sellers- but if there was anything advertised around town then I would look into it and similarly I'd be comfortable looking at items in the buying and selling forum on here.

Beca :wave:

I think i would be a bit of both!
I think we would love to buy new cot, and pushchair. But will look to see what bargins i can find also.
x

Ive had my baby, but we bought 99% of our stuff second hand off ebay and dont regret it at all. We wanted to prove to people that we could do this ourselves, and sadly we ended up doing it with a single income (i lost my job and found out I was pregnant whilst going round for interviews), we needed good quality, heavy duty products with giant dogs so decided to buy these but at a price we could afford. Most things were hardly used (we got a swinging crib from John Lewis's that was slept in about 3 times for £40 - bought a new mattress for £5 off ebay too). Our child does not go without, he just doesnt have everything from new, but I would rather it be that way than him having to go without because we cannot afford to buy things new. We regularly go to carboot sales and pick up items of clothes for 20p each, hardly worn because babies arent in them long enough so still in excellent condition. People often comment on the nice clothes he is wearing, he has plenty of them so I can leave washing his clothes until I have a full load, whereas a friend of mine has had all brand new things for her baby, she is heavily in debt now, she has the bear minimum needed for her daughter, and her baby often has to stay in dirty clothes as she is waiting for her clothes to dry. I have offered to pick clothes up for her daughter, even offered clothes from my Son as I have plenty of neutral stuff but she will not accept it.

People have different views on how we have dont it, my mum is proud of us for doing it on our own, and she isnt afraid to pick up nice things she spots in charity shops, my MIL hates the fact we bought everything second hand and was continuously trying to throw money in our direction, and my Aunt buys him new clothes and tells him someone has to love him enough to buy him something new which hurts at times, but then she is heartless and doesnt think what she says beforehand.

Id say if you get offered something then take it because the money you were gonna spend on that item can be spent on something else that you might need for your baby.

second hand stuff is fine to an extent =]
clothes fair enough (but make sure you wash them)
but i dont believe in a second hand pram (babys first buggy etc) hehe
and i wouldnt have second hand bottles =]
but clothes, bibs etc fine =]
could save you loads of money =]

I would definitely accept second hand stuff, but I'd also buy some new things.

Depends what it is. I want to get the pram new and would only take the cot and car seat from family or close friends but toys and clothes ill take second hand and was/disinfect them.

I think one of the reasons I'm looking forward to a baby is so I'll have an excuse to shop!!

That being said I actually have a room full of baby things; swing chair, bathtub, bouncer, highchair, exersaucer, clothes, heartbeat plush... all blue for a boy so hope I have a boy first!! A friend of mine was moving so gave me all her old baby things (barely used) plus all her maternity clothes. This is great because I can save money in some areas and spend it on more baby stuff.

I would like to buy stroller (read pram) and bedding new. As for a new crib (read cot) and dresser, although I'd love to buy new these are expensive items so I'd consider finding pieces and restaining them but I'd buy a new organic mattress.

OMG is it time to TTC yet? Waiting sucks!!! :rofl:

We went secondhand as much as possible and put the money we saved into an education fund for Simon. My feeling was that he'll appreciate funding for school a lot more than some baby outfit he wore for two weeks. I think it's fine to splurge on a few new outfits to celebrate baby, but beware! It's not hard to literally spend thousands of dollars on baby gear that will just be cluttering up your closet/garage/whatever within a few months. I'm still astounded by how quickly Simon outgrows things.

Just popping in! With my first:

Secondhand (from relatives only):
Infant car seat (actually came from a close family friend, barely used)
2 playpens (they weren't really necessities but nice to have, we only needed 1 that we would have bought but had 2 in the family in great condition- one barely used)
Infant swing (only because it's expensive!)
Baby gates (not really "used".. they were already at our house, used to keep dogs out of certain rooms!)
Clothes (I accepted offers on used clothes in good condition but I haven't ended up using many as we had so many new ones.. it is nice to have for playing though or for things like dresses they'll only wear once or twice.. or just for more variety)
Diaper Genie (not really used by my good friend.. she hated it. And guess what? I do too!! :rofl:)

I bought a Bumbo off a lady on Kijiji - only because it was easy to clean and it was $25 where they sell for $65 now here and not all babies like them

Bought new:
Convertible crib (a crib we were offered was in bad condition, and we bought the convertible so we don't have to buy beds in the future)
Crib mattress (a must IMO)
Stroller (I wanted a specific stroller)
Toys, bottles, and anything that goes in their mouths really!
High chair (because I fell in love with it and didn't want a stained one)
Bouncer
Exersaucer

I plan to keep most of the stuff for baby #2, sell some things, and pass others along.

If you can afford to spend all the money on new.. go nuts.. I found taking secondhand things that were in the family freed up money to buy better quality new items and like Sarahkka said, it gave us more money to save for baby. We've started an RESP up for her which was really important to me.

Got to have a new carseat, for safety reasons, but anything else I'm open to what I find. If I find something in good condition that I like, I don't mind if it's second hand or new.

Bit of Both! :) Found a cot in Ikea for less than £30, so no we wont be buying second hand cot, just buying a new cheap one! lol, im a bit of a bargain hunter and hardly ever buy anything full price, wait for it to come down in the sales lol xx

lol you sound like my mum = ]
Hopefully she'll find me some good deals!

I have a few little ones ion the family already so yeah there might be some second hand stuff but I think I deffo want a new pram . . . I can be fussy lol

xx

I'm more than happy to have second hand stuff providing it's in good nick. I don't see the point in spending out hundreds on new stuff. I definitely won't be buying one of those fancy travel-systems. Everyone I know has ditched their's for something smaller and lighter when their baby is about four or five months old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->