Formula Advice please?????

pinkish_angel

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am quite concerned cuz my daughter has been on Aptimal extra for quite a while now. She is now 11 months old so I thought I better try her on the Aptimal follow on milk as the other is up to 12 months only but she wouldnt drink it and I found that she would have perhaps 2oz each time only... even her morning feed (which she usually guzzles down), so I went to see my health visitor on wednesday and explained the situation. She asked me how many bottles a day my daughter is having, and I explained that she is having 3 bottles a day all at 7oz. I thought this was fine to have along side her solids as the instructions on the back of the formula packaging suggest that this is right for her age. Even on the follow on milk, this amount is fine. My health visitor told me off basically and said that 'no matter what follow-on formula I give her she will not like it cuz they are all the same' and told me that she should only be having 1 bottle a day by now... when she wakes in the morning. This is bizzare to me because my daughter loves her milk and trying to take it off her would be a nightmare, plus to put her to bed without her last bottle would never work. I know she is a big girl now etc but she has never been very advanced with eating solids and doesnt really eat enough to not have her milk too. To top it off... my health visitor said that by the time my daughter is 1 years old, I should have weaned her off formula altogether. I thought follow-on milk was for older babies? so why is she saying this to me?
Anyone have any advice for me cuz I am really worried now...........................................

kelly
xxx

Sounds like your HV is a narky big headed witch!
You should NEVER take a child off milk ... how thick is that woman? that is what follow on milk is for!
I've had problems getting maddie to drink milk and it's worrying (Poor lynnie has had me moaning about this several times) ... I am strongly advising you not to take this advice as i personally think it is totally wrong!!
Milk is a source of calcium for a child and is needed in there diet ... and if the child isn't a big eater then it is even more important!
I would get a second opinion and look it up on the internet ...
But from personal point of view i strongly disagree with what your HV has said.

Imi
xxx

Just found this and i hope it answers your queions hun ....

Babies

Breast milk is the best drink for babies for the first year and beyond. The only alternative to breast milk in the first six months is infant formula. Choose an infant formula based on cows' milk unless you have been advised otherwise by your health professional. You should continue to give your baby breast milk or formula milk until he or she is at least a year old.

Ordinary full-fat milk isn't suitable as a drink until a baby is a year old. This is because it doesn't contain the right balance of nutrients to meet your baby's needs. Ordinary full-fat milks (from cows, goats or sheep) can be used for cooking in foods such as cheese sauce and custard from six months.

At about a year old, a switch can be made to full-fat milk as a drink.

Another type of infant formula is soya-based infant formula. But only use soya-based infant formula on the advice of your GP or health visitor. Babies who are allergic to cows’ milk may also be allergic to soya.

In almost all cases, breastfeeding or another type of formula will be a better choice.

Infant formulas and follow-on formulas based on goats’ milk protein are not suitable for babies and have not been approved for use in Europe. If you are currently using a goats' milk formula for feeding your baby it is important to seek the advice of your health professional about the most appropriate type of formula for your baby's needs, before changing to a different formula.

Children

Children should drink whole milk until they are at least two years old because they may not get as many calories as they need from semi-skimmed milk.

After the age of two, children can gradually move to semi-skimmed milk as a main drink, as long as they are eating well and getting plenty of calories and nutrients from a varied diet.

Don't give skimmed milk to children until they're at least five years old because it's too low in calories and contains only very small amounts of vitamins A and D, which children need.

Children between the ages of one and three need to have about 350mg of calcium a day. About 300ml full-fat milk (three fifths of a pint) would provide this.

Don't press the food on your baby. If the food really doesn't seem to be wanted, stop and wait until next time. The main aim at this stage is to get your baby used to the idea of taking food from a spoon. He or she will still be getting most of their nourishment from breast or formula milk (around 500–600ml a day).

Oh Ignore her Hun
Jack is 17 month and still has a bottle of follow on before bed and cup of 'real' milk on a morning
All milks do not taste the same at all, i tried Jack with Aptimil follow on and he hated it, I give him cow and gate 4 now( i like that they are getting extra vitamins ect..)
Maybe cut it to 1 on a morning and 1 on a night if she is eating 3 full meals
Try her on different kinds and see if there is one she prefers I'd buy the cartons so you are not wasting loads of money on the tins
Good luck hun and just persevere

One a child reaches 1 year they dont have to have formula, and tbh follow on milk is a bit of a con for the price. Although as Imi points out mik is still very important in a small childs diet, hence using whold milk with cerials etc. The reason follow on milk can be good is that is contains iron, which a lot of young children are deficient, so if your concerned that your child is perhaps a picky eater having follow on milk as a way you can be sure they are still getting the vitamins and nutrients your child needs. Your HV may have been concerned that your daughter was having milk more instead of having solid foods, which can be a concern if your filling them up on milk and they are having less solids and hence not gaining enough weight. When Noah hit 1 year I did away with bottles completly, (as for oral and speech development they should use beakers instead anyway) He has whole milk on his cerial and a babybell and a yogurt with his lunch, so still gets the calcium. And instead of formula he has a warm ovaltine before bead, as this is also high in iron, calcuim, and other vitamins and nutrients so he still gets everything he needs, plus its a damn sight cheaper than formula. Parhaps try this is she doesnt like the follow on milk?

I agree Formula is dear but as Jack only has 8oz of it a day it lasts me about 6 weeks!!
Jack has started being really picky with food which is why i personally have kept him on it
As for the speach thing Cat i know where you are coming from but my HV told me Jack would never say mummy if i carried on with the beakers i was using :roll:
I think i am a lot more chilled with Jack being my second, I follow my own gut and instincts more

I agree that Milk should be a top up to meals at Amelias age, maybe this is what she meant but didn't explain correctly
As for stopping formula completley thats a personal choice hun

Thaks so much to you all.... Amelia is very picky with food... she always has been.. I just felt like the HV was having a go at me... She does have her solids but she also likes her milk... hence why I still give her 3 bottles a day. I am trying to wean her off it by giving her new foods and hope that she will like them... most end up on the floor and tantrums start until she gets her botbot but I gotta keep at it I know!! thanks again ladies. Your advice has been much appreciated xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hun your not doing anything wrong, and i wouldn't listen to the HV they keep telling me to take kacy of her bottles but like amelia kacy is also a picky eater and doesn't eat much, so she needs the bottles and also it is a comfort for kacy proabablylike it is for amelia. maybe in the afternoon bottle maybe give her a yougrt at the time or something else she likes so she gets used to not having her bottle.

how many bottles a day does kacy have hun?
I feel even worse today cuz Amelia has totally gone off her food. I made her 3different meals through the day that she usually likes and she wouldnt eat any... she has had a banana, a little stars yog, a bit of white choc and her bottles. I am at my whits end and even cried today... all she wants is milk and she has a tantrum till I give it her so I cant wean her off it!! argh!!

Hi all,
I am quite concerned cuz my daughter has been on Aptimal extra for quite a while now. She is now 11 months old so I thought I better try her on the Aptimal follow on milk as the other is up to 12 months only but she wouldnt drink it and I found that she would have perhaps 2oz each time only... even her morning feed (which she usually guzzles down), so I went to see my health visitor on wednesday and explained the situation. She asked me how many bottles a day my daughter is having, and I explained that she is having 3 bottles a day all at 7oz. I thought this was fine to have along side her solids as the instructions on the back of the formula packaging suggest that this is right for her age. Even on the follow on milk, this amount is fine. My health visitor told me off basically and said that 'no matter what follow-on formula I give her she will not like it cuz they are all the same' and told me that she should only be having 1 bottle a day by now... when she wakes in the morning. This is bizzare to me because my daughter loves her milk and trying to take it off her would be a nightmare, plus to put her to bed without her last bottle would never work. I know she is a big girl now etc but she has never been very advanced with eating solids and doesnt really eat enough to not have her milk too. To top it off... my health visitor said that by the time my daughter is 1 years old, I should have weaned her off formula altogether. I thought follow-on milk was for older babies? so why is she saying this to me?
Anyone have any advice for me cuz I am really worried now...........................................

kelly

xxx

OMG, Jade was still having 3 or so bottles a day at about 2 I think? She loved her bottle and would have one in the morning, one to nap with in the afternoon and one for bed.......there was no way I could have had her on 1 bottle at 11 months :nope: she liked her bottles as much as a comfort thing as a food, she was late coming off the bottle TBH, but it worked out OK!

I also gave Jade follow on milk from 6 months (the red SMA) but at a year old, she had normal cows milk, blue top from then on and a hot chocolate drink for bed in her bottle.

Your HV really needs to get intouch with reality again I think! x

One a child reaches 1 year they dont have to have formula, and tbh follow on milk is a bit of a con for the price. Although as Imi points out mik is still very important in a small childs diet, hence using whold milk with cerials etc. The reason follow on milk can be good is that is contains iron, which a lot of young children are deficient, so if your concerned that your child is perhaps a picky eater having follow on milk as a way you can be sure they are still getting the vitamins and nutrients your child needs. Your HV may have been concerned that your daughter was having milk more instead of having solid foods, which can be a concern if your filling them up on milk and they are having less solids and hence not gaining enough weight. When Noah hit 1 year I did away with bottles completly, (as for oral and speech development they should use beakers instead anyway) He has whole milk on his cerial and a babybell and a yogurt with his lunch, so still gets the calcium. And instead of formula he has a warm ovaltine before bead, as this is also high in iron, calcuim, and other vitamins and nutrients so he still gets everything he needs, plus its a damn sight cheaper than formula. Parhaps try this is she doesnt like the follow on milk?

I agree with Cat. Follow on milk is a way of manufactureres advertising their formula as they can't advertise baby formula - so there is a cynical view that it is a con. Saying that it is cheaper then formula so whilst she is under 1 I would continue with it. At one she can have cows milk and iron can be found in plenty of places such as ovaltine as Cat suggested. As for the number of feeds I don't really know - Seren is mainly eating solids now - I give her weetabix with cows milk and mashed banana, but she still has a feed in the morning. She might also have a feed in the afternooon and early evening and just before bed she has a drink of warm milk. I couldn't tell you how much milk she is having as she is breastfed - she feeds for about 5 mins usually. I found that Seren naturally dropped her feeds as she went along - I used the don't ask son't offer method - if she asked for a feed I would do but otherwise just fed her solids and she reduced them right down. Perhaps start offering her a drink of cows milk in a sippy cup - Seren wouldn't take that much to start with but soon took it ok.

Thanks Tam, you have really made me feel better now :)
I suppose all babies are different. I am gonna continue with whatever Amelia wants cuz at the end of the day, only she knows! xxxxxxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->