Formula Questions

Amythyst

Reaction score
Hi there, our baby is on formula only and he is almost two weeks old. The hospital put him on similac sensitive because they said he wasn't doing well in the regular similac. They were feeding him for me the first day after my c section because I had a bad reaction to the narcotics they put in my spine.

Anyhoo, he seems to be doing ok on it and doesn't really spit up but on rare occasions. He does have a bit of a problem with gas even though he is on this special formula. It got better when we started using gas drops but he does have small fits of gas pains that last for like 30 mins sometimes.

He also doesn't poo but maybe once every day or so. It is normal color and mooshy so I am fairly confident he isn't constipated. But his tummy gets really big and full when he hasn't pooed in awhile.

I called the pediatrician today to ask this question but they failed to get back to me. So, I was wondering if it were you guys would you switch him to another formula? And if so, which one would be better?

I'm afraid to switch him cause I hear about people doing it and then messing up the baby's system or something. I also didn't want to just try one or two feeding a and then go back to the old one.

Or should I just stick with how we have it? Also, he was a big boy at 9 pounds 3 oz and he is currently eating about 2 to 2.5 oz every two hours. Very rarely will he sleep for three hours between feeds. Would a different brand fill him up longer? The hospital told us he should be going 3-4 hours between feeding but there is no way I'm depriving my hungry baby for over an hour and he would be screaming bloody murder for food.

It sounds like your baby is doing fine. I wouldn't switch. And its totally fine for them to only go 2 hours between feeds. He is still a newborn

Ok thank you. I feel like such a dummy for most of this stuff.

I am wondering if he has a bit of a reflux problem or if he's just a huge pig cause I can give him like 2.5 oz in a feeding and he keeps doing the lip puckering head shaking thing where he wants more food and I can put my finger in front of his mouth and he will start sucking on it. But I can't imagine he can hold this much food! lol.

Last night I gave him more when he asked for it and then of course I think it was too much and he spit up a good portion of it a few different times.

The last two feedings were fine though... I tried to take it slow and give him lots of burp breaks to make sure he wasn't going to spit up again.

DD spit up A LOT until she was 6 months. When she was younger I burped her after every half oz, then oz. By the time she was a month she was taking 4oz each feed. If he seems uncomfortable with the spit up, he may have some reflux going on.

Thanks!

We are working on his third week now and he's on 3 oz - so I think that is in line with your 4 oz at 1 month. He's been doing much better with feedings and hasn't really had any spit up at all lately.

The only thing is he hates to be on his tummy against me. I have to burp him on my knee because he can't stand tummy time. He also flails about all the time... he like hardly sits still.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->