Formula under lock and key....comments?

lysh

TTC #2
Reaction score
I live in New York and there is a new initiative taking place:

https://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/mayor_knows_breast_WqU1iYRQvwbEkDuvn0vb1H

Opinions? Comments?

I currently combo feed and as most people who use formula know, there is a huge stigma against it. I am all for breast feeding, and wanted to and still am trying to get to a point where I can EBF, however, formula has its place and there is a chance I might not meet my goal. Everyone who uses formula has a reason for doing so- my opinion is it is personal choice and let it be.

I felt guilty having to use formula, demoralized that I was not producing enough milk, and felt like half a woman. Would an initiative like this just make women like me feel even worse?

Here is the US, we have no paid maternity leave. Breast feeding takes a lot of dedication and time. It is interesting that people in the government are taking aim at women, however, where is the support? There are many women in the US who get 6 weeks home if they are lucky and then have to return to work.

I posted this in the formula section because I feel it hits women who use formula the hardest, so I was curious on opinions and comments. There is a potential for this to become a heated discussion, so let's stay respectful of others opinions and thoughts. :flower:

I think it is so wrong. Mayor Bloomberg should really stay out of our bras. Some women CAN'T breastfeed! Having it locked up like it's bad is wrong and sends out the wrong message. My son's pediatrician told me that my son will be just as healthy whether he's breastfed or not. I tend to believe my DOCTOR over some corrupt politician who just wants to run the lives of others. I think it's MORE important that a baby is thriving on his food, wherever it's coming from.

I really wanted to breastfed and I really tried. My supply wasn't adequate enough to keep my son satisfied and he wasn't pooping or peeing and losing weight. So, I put him on formula and he's been doing wonderfully ever since.

Sounds no different than what they do in the UK, you can still have formula but you dont have free access to it in the hospital.

I'm getting tired of people thinking lowly of us because of formula.
I couldn't breastfeed, at all. No milk EVER came in. I was one of the lucky, 2%?

I'm proud to say my formula eating son is freaking awesome and healthy and built like a complete brick and is so smart.

They act like breast milk is gold over formula, which okay, it's better to a certain extent, but come the hell on already, we are not feeding our children poison!

Stupid idiot. gr.

With each bottle a mother requests and receives, she’ll also get a talking-to. Staffers will explain why she should offer the breast instead.

“It’s the patient’s choice,” said Allison Walsh, of Beth Israel Medical Center. “But it’s our job to educate them on the best option.”

Wow. I'm glad I didn't get a "talking-to" when my daughter and I were still in the hospital. It's tough enough on the emotional state, the first days after birth, that would have put me over the top..
I remember going into the breastfeeding room in the late hours of the night so that the lady sharing the room with me (who was booked for a c-section early that morning) could get some sleep. I'd try over an hour at a time to breastfeed my daughter with nipple shields continually falling off while I'm trying to continue holding my baby in a weak state. On day 3 she was starved and sucking alone no longer did it for her. She needed food. The nurse suggested I try to give her some formula. I did. She was full and happily dozed off to sleep. Thinking of a nurse trying to tell me of the "better" option continually.. I don't even want to think of it. :nope: Oh, and to make matters worse for breastfeeding being a success, the hospital's lactation consultant was away until the next week because of the holidays. My daughter was born 4 days before Christmas.. couldn't wait over a week to get food in her.
I remember randomly crying on and off because I missed my husband. I was in a state of shock and needed him there but he wasn't allowed overnight. I was of course overly happy to have a healthy little girl but still completely shocked about everything. When we got home she still wasn't latching/getting any milk. I gave it my absolute all for her and I always will.
For my daughter and me the BETTER option was to give formula. I wasn't going to force breastfeeding to the point of her starving. No way. I was able to express until the last drop 3 weeks later. My supply had dried up. But, she got occasional breast milk bottles. That's an achievement for us in my eyes.
Everyone has a different situation and experience. Formula should not be locked away and portrayed as a last resort because it's the "inferior" option. My baby girl is healthy, strong, growing well and has never gotten sick in her 7 1/2 months of life.
So I'd like to confidently say - formula is not inferior! It's the better option for some moms. :thumbup:

Sounds like what happens here in the UK. Formula is available for mothers who cannot breastfeed at the hospital, but it's not out on show for all to see. You request it from a midwife. I see no problem with the approach but don't feel a major should be making headlines this way or making mothers who FF feel inferior xx

No free access to formula in hospitals here. I begged them for 18 hours in the hospital to get some formula but they didn't give me any until a BFing consultant failed in making him latch on after 2 hours of trying & he developed severe jaundice.

Even when they gave him formula it was out of a syringe & the MW fed him, I wasn't even allowed to try.

They don't even ask you about your feeding choice, they assume you're going to BF.

I had to pay for it, formula is not free in government hospitals. Even if you are a local or an expat who's covered under a paid package.

Next time I'm going private.

Stupid...................From one mother who went into a HUGE depression becuse she couldent Bf her son, I dont think it is fair (Thank God I am in Canada) Mind you I think if you can Bf it is wonderful and I give you all the credit in the world!!! But for a mother who can not no matter what she trys it can be very hard on her :s

OmarsMum, that sounds terrible. :nope:

Yeah it was :(

I have to leave the hospital after 2 days although I had an EMCS, But I couldn't stay for longer. I signed the papers & left before getting the results of my blood tests.

We had to bring Omar back to the hospital the next day to check the levels of his jaundice. We were doing much better at home as we were feeding him every 2 hours, but at hospital they were starving him for 4-5 hours before giving us some formula :nope:

Only every 4-5 hours?! :shock: After getting some food into Aurora at 3 days old she was hungry every 2-3hrs. sometimes sooner. Imagining her scream for an extra 2-3hrs. because the hospital only allows formula at such an interval is unbelievable! Newborns feed frequently! Seems like they're doing more harm than good with that method. :nope:

I had no idea that is how things are in the UK...interesting! Some women in the US have complained that nurses were pushing formula...either way I do not think anything should be pushed. Whatever a woman decides should be supported.

In the UK do you feel you get good BF support?

I'm glad my hospital/doctors asked what I preferred to do.
When we tried and tried and then came to the conclusion I had no supply, they were VERY supportive and had no rude remarks or made me keep trying.

I had no idea that is how things are in the UK...interesting! Some women in the US have complained that nurses were pushing formula...either way I do not think anything should be pushed. Whatever a woman decides should be supported.

In the UK do you feel you get good BF support?

Hmmm yes and no on the support. This is how it works in my hospital: if you FF from the start, you press your buzzer when the baby needs a feed and request a bottle. They have all the brands available so you just ask for the one you're planning to use at home. The MWs will talk to you and advise you on how much the baby needs etc. I don't know if the ladies who chose to FF from the start get some helpful, friendly encouragement to give BF a try but I'd like to think they do and that it's handled well. Not that they're "given a talking to". I BFed at the start and there was support in hospital, you could buzz for help and advice any time, I had the lactation expert come and talk to me and she diagnosed Elina with a posteria tongue tie, told me BFing could be really difficult because of it, and also told me the NHS wouldn't correct it! Oh so you want me to BF but you're not prepared to sort an issue that could seriously affect that? Oh ok! Once we were home a BF support nurse came to see us at home, and we also attended the BF clinic back at the mat unit when she was 10 days old and the advice they gave didn't really help. I felt like I did get a lot of support, and tried most channels for getting help that were available for free.

Apparently the Latch On NYC organisers have back-pedalled, and formula is no longer going to be kept locked up. I don't think they were quite prepared for the backlash...

The hospital I gave birth in were TERRIBLE at giving advice and helping me with breastfeeding! I think it was partly to do with the language barrier and they generally just couldn't be arsed with me - this then made me decide to formula feed instead. I think that was a big relief on their part. My LO wasn't feeding well at all on the breast - she would want a feed every hour and didn't seem at all happy - I decided to go to formula and it's been so much better. She sleeps for longer and she seems a lot more happier. She also wouldn't latch on properly and the hospital didn't help me at all. My nipples were literally bleeding from my LO trying so hard to latch on.

I also have a family midwife who visits me at home twice a week and she is very helpful and never pressured me into breastfeeding. My LO is a very clever little girl and seems very happy. A mothers love come from the heart, not from the breast :flower:

Sounds like the UK. You have to ask for formula and you soon work out who is ok to ask and who will give you a lecture x

I just don't understand why so many people care what women feed their children? :shrug: I can understand raising awareness but to PUSH is just crazy!

I just don't understand why so many people care what women feed their children? :shrug: I can understand raising awareness but to PUSH is just crazy!

This is what I don't get. The stats show that although lots of women initiate breastfeeding in hospittal, the figures fall sharply once they go home. So this "push breastfeeding as the one true way" approach just isn't working.

I think the authorities will continue to push though, as it's easier /cheaper for them to do something like this scheme, than it is to provide women with real support where/when they need it.

This is what I don't get. The stats show that although lots of women initiate breastfeeding in hospittal, the figures fall sharply once they go home. So this "push breastfeeding as the one true way" approach just isn't working.

I think the authorities will continue to push though, as it's easier /cheaper for them to do something like this scheme, than it is to provide women with real support where/when they need it.

Its because when in hospital most women have some one on had for support and advice but once your home there is less support and your not really told of what to expect. In all the literature you get your told baby should be going 4 hours between feeds, what they dont tell you is that 4 hours should be the maximum time between feeds for a breastfed newborn and feeding every 1,2,3 hours is normal, they also dont tell you about cluster feeding to a lot of women switch to formula mistaking normal feeding behaviour for having a low supply.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->