Foul smelling lochia

GemM83

Reaction score
Hi guys

I am pp 1 week tomorrow. My lochia appears to be dwindling, no further clots and more dark brown in colour than bright red.

However last couple of days it's has been stinking to high heaven!!! I mean awful! Went out with bubs for 1st time yesterday and was convinced she had done something in her nappy cos the smell was so vile (embarrassingly so did a couple of friends), but it turns out it was me!! The midwife was "down there" yesterday morning checking on my stitches and didn't pass comment on the scent, so is it normal for it to stink like this towards the end?

Many thanks!

I don't think so. From what I've been told, foul-smelling lochia is often a sign of infection. You should mention it to your MW or dr.

I believe it's common and goes away once you stop bleeding/leaking. Happened to me and a few other ladies on bnb. There was a thread about it not too long ago.

I too suffered from this, mainly from about 3 weeks post partum. I asked DH if he could smell anything and he couldn't, but i certainly could. I didnt have any other signs of infection. I carried on using salt water in my baths and by 5 weeks the lochia had completely stopped. I had read that we are more sensitive to smells etc, so maybe it appears worse to us?
I dont think it definitely means you have an infection, but if your unsure see your midwife x

With DS I had terrible smelling lochia, it was heinous. No infection. With DD I didn't have any smell at all. So I guess it just depends on the conditions in there. But I would probably get it checked for infection to be safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->