Fraternal twins - one fallopian tube...?

ltbustle

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm so glad to move to this forum now that my pregnancy has been confirmed IU. A little background, I had an ectopic last year that resulted in my left fallopian tube being removed, though I still have my left ovary. I found out a few weeks ago that I am pregnant again, and was over the moon until I started having pain in my lower right side. Fearing another ectopic, I saw my ob immediately, who found a suspicious vascular mass right next to my right ovary. After a week of waiting and ups and downs (and a negative nurse who all but INSISTED I go ahead with methotrexate), I am now confirmed to be carrying TWO gestational sacs with yolk sacs in my uterus! The vascular mass turned out to be part of the corpus luteum. Now I am a bit confused and fascinated. I read somewhere that 8 out of 9 times, twins in separate gestational sacs will be fraternal, and if that is the case here, that means I released two eggs. Is it possible to release two eggs from the same ovary during ovulation? I thought that in most cases of fraternal twins, one egg came from each ovary. If that is the case here, how did the egg from my left ovary get fertilized if I only have one fallopian tube (my right one)? I am sooooo extremely thrilled with this outcome, but am curious if anyone else has had anything similar happen? I can't find anything about this on the internet (unbelievable, I know!). Thanks in advance!!

This post actually really caught my attention. That is VERY interesting....
From what I'm reading: https://www.umm.edu/pregnancy/000199.htm
it doesn't seem possible to release 2 eggs - however it may be that the egg split early and looks like 2 seperate.
I'm very intrigued!

In my searches I came across this article: https://sellyourstoryuk.com/2011/07/04/my-33million-to-one-triplets/ I guess it's possible but the odds have to be in the millions even for twins that would be fraternal.... Buy a lottery ticket!

I took a trigger shot to release the mature eggs I had but both came from my right ovary and I got pregnant with fraternal twins. What my ultrasound tech told me was that there is going to be a dominant ovary in which the egg(s) will release from. According to her, both ovaries usually don't release eggs. So, it's possible.

How fascinating! Your babies are super lucky!! Xxx

It is possible, but wow! I don't think it's likely. I was on clomid for one round whe I had ultrasounds and they found 2 mature and one almost mature follicle in one ovary and then 1 mature and one almost mature in the other. That said, I was on clomid so that's why there were so many. I think it would be unusual for that to happen naturally, though.

I have no idea!!! Just wanted to stop by and say congrats!!! This topic is very fascinating...my hubby is a fraternal twin. I think it's so amazing that he shared his mommys tummy with his brother!!

Congrats and best of luck!!!

That's amazing. I thought that you can release more than One egg from the same ovary, I too only have one Fallopian tube!! Wow many congrats. Could the tech not see if they both came from one side xx

So just to add some weight to this. My partner suffered an ectopic pregnancy on our second pregnancy. Her fallopian tub had already started rupturing so they remove her left one.

About a year later we fell pregnant and now we have to very active fraternal twin boys to keep their older brother company :)

Not entirely sure how or what odds that is.

I found this forum after googling if it was possible to have fraternal twins with one fallopian tube because I also had an ectopic pregnancy in 2015 and then in 2019 had fraternal twin girls.

Just adding. I can’t remember if this was with my vanishing twin pregnancy or a random cycle, but I was scanned once (probably pcos related) and my gyn pointed out that I had two large follicles maturing and said I was going to release two eggs that cycle. They were both in the same ovary.

eta: this is a zombie thread just adding info for anybody looking for answers

Last edited:
It’s possible, but I would think it is more likely that you have identical twins who divided very soon after conception. It is how much time passes before the cells divide into two embryos that determines whether the twins share a placenta and gestational sac. The more time that passes, the more likely it is that the twins will be monoamniotic (sharing an amniotic sac) as well as monochorionic (sharing a placenta).

If a set of twins can be seen on ultrasound to share one amniotic sac and / or share a single placenta, then they will definitely be identical. It’s impossible for fraternal twins to be either monoamniotic or monochorionic (although sometimes two placentas from fraternal twins can fuse together and appear as one placenta in later scans). But it is possible for identical twins to have their own sacs and placentas, and in this case it would be impossible to tell from ultrasound whether twins are identical or fraternal.

You can only diagnose identical twins via ultrasound - twins who are not definitely recognisable as identical (monozygotic) on a scan, may be either fraternal twins or identical twins who divided early on after conception. Identical twins who divide later will share a placenta but have their own sacs, twins who divide later than this will share both placenta and amniotic sac, and twins who divide even later than this (usually 13-15 days after conception) will be conjoined.

It’s actually a good thing your twins have their own of everything - the less they share, the less complicated your pregnancy will be and the lower the risk of complications such as twin to twin transfusion syndrome in monochorionic twins or cord entanglement and compression in monoamniotic twins.

Fraternal twins and identical twins who are both dichorionic diamniotic are also at reduced risk of preterm labour compared to mono / mono mono twins. All twins are at a somewhat increased risk of preterm labour compared to singleton pregnancies but both monochorionic diamniotic and monochorionic-monoamniotic twins are more likely to have to be delivered early due to the complications that can arise in later gestation for these types of twins.

Source: mum to mono mono twins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->