Freaking myself out about twins.

bamm

Reaction score
It hadn't really occurred to me as yet - until I was showing my mum my belly yesterday and she said 'maybe it's twins'. I have fraternal twins on my mums side, my grandmother and aunt both had twin boys, so we always assumed one of the girls on that side would have twins (I thought it'd be my cousin, as she has twins on her mum and dads side) but she's not having kids.

Anyway, I was looking online, and it says the taller, and bigger you are it increases your chances too, and if you have a family history of the hyper-ovulation gene you've got about a 1 in 17 chance of fraternal twins without the being in the higher chance range already of being caucasian, tall, BMI over 30 etc, so I'm freaking out! Here is a pic of my 8 week gut that will not go down, and it's really hard up top above my belly button, which is new for me - if it keeps getting bigger quickly, I guess I'll book a scan to be sure!

Here is my stomach at 8+1 - I'm hoping it's because I had a 3cm separation of the muscles with my daughter, that I just have no abs left to hold it in nice and tight and that it's just ONE, because I don't know how I could mentally deal with two little ones!

https://i42.tinypic.com/2e0iykn.jpg

I'm having twins, they along with triplets run in my family. I'm short lol 5'2. I started showing at 12 weeks with mine (was 24 with dd) but you won't know till your scan. I had low hcg when I had my blood test and was told by doc and mw looks like theres only tone but my scan tells a much different story. Strange question how dark was the line on your test? Majority of twin mamas will tell you our lines were barely showing and we've come to the conclusion that the more babies inside the lighter the test obviously not scientific but just from us all comparing lol.

I'm having twins, they along with triplets run in my family. I'm short lol 5'2. I started showing at 12 weeks with mine (was 24 with dd) but you won't know till your scan. I had low hcg when I had my blood test and was told by doc and mw looks like theres only tone but my scan tells a much different story. Strange question how dark was the line on your test? Majority of twin mamas will tell you our lines were barely showing and we've come to the conclusion that the more babies inside the lighter the test obviously not scientific but just from us all comparing lol.

I would guess that the twin moms are getting lighter tests because once the hcg level reaches a certain point (be high enough), it will make the line lighter on the test rather than darker. If they diluted their pee, I bet the line would be dark.

Yeah, it sucks that the only answer is a scan! I think I have my first hosp appt in about 6 weeks, so I might get them to chuck the doppler on to see if there's more than one heartbeat!

I got a + on an IC at 9dpo, but they were absolute squinters faint, and my FRER got to the same as the control about 5 days after that, but was positive clearly at 10dpo - the dr said nothing about my HCG #s when I went in for a visit after my bloods, although with DD the dr said it could be twins as it was with her about 6,500 at 4wk6 days (obviously wasn't!)

I would love twins, but at the same time, I wouldn't - you know? I love the thought of being a twin, and having a buddy your age, but it took me a good 3 years to get on board with having another, I don't know how I'd emotionally deal with 2 newbies at once! I don't know if I'd be as strong to cope as some!

Congrats on your bundles, btw! <3

I would guess that the twin moms are getting lighter tests because once the hcg level reaches a certain point (be high enough), it will make the line lighter on the test rather than darker. If they diluted their pee, I bet the line would be dark.

good point! maybe the hook effect happens so quickly that they stay fairly light?

Thanks ill have 3 under 2 when these boys arrive. The only problem with hb dopplers and twins is are they listening to the same one twice? When I had mine done the mw couldn't figure out which was which now they have moved its easier. Push for an early scan I tried and failed even though I mc'd twins in 2010.

I've heard that only identical twins are genetic, because they split the egg rather than sharing the uterus together. But either way, your ob should be able to see right away if you have twins going on, I'd imagine.

Thanks ill have 3 under 2 when these boys arrive. The only problem with hb dopplers and twins is are they listening to the same one twice? When I had mine done the mw couldn't figure out which was which now they have moved its easier. Push for an early scan I tried and failed even though I mc'd twins in 2010.

Sorry to hear about your MC :( - and wow, 3 under 2! I didn't think of that with the doppler, hmm. For some reason I'm really not keen on an early scan! I think i'm a little paranoid about having it done while i'm overweight this pregnancy, and I've never had an internal and the thought kind of freaks me out a bit! I have a form for one, but I don't know if it's still valid, as I was supposed to go for it last week.

Other way round unidentical are genetic identicals are classed as a fluke

With dd I had a scan at 6 weeks not internal and saw her fine =)

I've heard that only identical twins are genetic, because they split the egg rather than sharing the uterus together. But either way, your ob should be able to see right away if you have twins going on, I'd imagine.

Fraternal twins are the 'genetic' ones, and even then it's the ovulation gene, not the 'twin' gene - Identical ones are just flukes and can happen to anyone :)

I'm terrified of twins too! I'm also tall with fraternal twins in the family, but I'm also over 35 and was breastfeeding when I conceived, which are also serious risk factors.

I'm terrified of twins too! I'm also tall with fraternal twins in the family, but I'm also over 35 and was breastfeeding when I conceived, which are also serious risk factors.

Ooh, so we could both be posting in the twins section soon ;p

When do you have a scan to find out? I'm telling myself I'm just being paranoid, because the thought of buying two of most of what we need with DD already and we are already living with my mum due to money, eek!

I have Fraternal twins in my family too, My Great Nan had them, My Second cousin had them too (both from my mums side of the family) I also have been told by a gynae consultant that because I have over active ovaries, I am at higher risk (for want of a better word) of coceiving twins.

The potential deciding factor for me, is because I do have over active ovaries I often get ovulation pain. This month I had ovulation pain from both sides! Therefore potential of two eggs being released = increased potential of twins.

It's gonna be a long 5wks till I get my first scan to confirm it x x (Oh and I had a very late very faint BFP)

I have Fraternal twins in my family too, My Great Nan had them, My Second cousin had them too (both from my mums side of the family) I also have been told by a gynae consultant that because I have over active ovaries, I am at higher risk (for want of a better word) of coceiving twins.

The potential deciding factor for me, is because I do have over active ovaries I often get ovulation pain. This month I had ovulation pain from both sides! Therefore potential of two eggs being released = increased potential of twins.

It's gonna be a long 5wks till I get my first scan to confirm it x x (Oh and I had a very late very faint BFP)

I wish now I paid more attention to my O pain this month, ever since DD I'd been able to feel when I was ovulating, but I got super + opks from the 6th & 8th August, then my bfp on the 18th August.

5 weeks will definitely dragggg by! Do you want twins, or is it a scary prospect to you?

It's the exact opposite of what you said. Identical twins are completely random, nature's fluke.

Secondly, most identical twins share mom's gestational sac with a paper thin divide between them...or not....di-di is an exception where they have their own placentas and space... incorrect that they "split the egg rather than share the uterus." It's a very, very high risk pregnancy because of how much they share.

Egg splits to form second baby and then they share the sac and likely placenta in 70% of identical cases.. for more info, google Di-di, Mo-Di, Mo-Mo, and congenital identical twins.

My scan in profile proves how much most identicals share. Google fraternal twin scans to see the difference and reason identicals are rare and risky. Identicals make up 30% of twins and fraternals compose a whopping 70%.

And finally, you'd be shocked by how many sonographers miss one twin up to 20 weeks. An astute sonographer found ours at 6w0 in the ER, but it took 45 minutes in full and she patiently looked.

This set of twins is my second set so I'm really excited to meet my boys x I've found my pushchair for the twins was cheaper than my daughters single

I am kinda freaking out about the chance of twins too. I have 2 sets of identical twin boys (my brother and my cousin) and 1 "would have been" fraternal twins (she lost the girl in the first tri) from a different cousin.
I know they say identical twins are not hereditary but how odd is it that in my generation there are 3 sets of twins and 2 are identical?
I am now somewhere between 10 and 15 weeks. I had 1 day of spotting at 37 days of my cycle. I have only gone longer than 34 days twice and those were my daughter and son. I had a negative test at 35 days and a second negative on the morning of 37 days but started spotting in the afternoon. Not sure how far I am but dr is going by 10 weeks until u/s shows different. I have a u/s tomorrow. I have had horrible almost crippling lower back pain since I was 3 weeks along (I didn't test til I was 5 weeks (35 days)
I was slightly overweight before becoming pg but I already can NOT fit into my jeans anymore. And I have been feeling movement for about 4 days now. And im sure its baby not gas. LOL this is my 3rd child. Everyone keeps telling me im having twins.....sure they are joking but who knows.
I am also 31 which isn't to much over 30 but everything ive read you have an increased chance of twins when you are over 30 and even more if over 35.
I cant wait for my scan tomorrow to find out!!!!!

Best of luck with everyone else who is thinking maybe twins!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->