Free NHS boobs?

Even if she was depressed or whatnot, a boob job is not an effective course of therapy. Boobs will results in a quick-fix high, but they don't help the underlying causes of depression and over time she'll be right back to square one. Just with bigger boobs.

I asked for my nose to be fixed years ago after an accident, I was bullied all my life over it and caused me self esteem problems and was told no. Seems if I want boobs I can get them. Its a shame though I rather the money to go cancer kids. I dont care much for flaunty girl, she wont be around to much anyway after this. Theres to many of her looking for work she isnt dazzling and clearly shallow. Its the nhs that thats done this not her.

Ok so it is a cosmetic procedure, but apparently it wasn't done because her breasts were just too small and she wanted them to be bigger - it's claimed she has a congenital condition which means she has absolutely no breast tissue at all. If someone is born with no arms, the NHS provide prosthetic limbs - they aren't necessarily functional so in that respect they are just cosmetic. If someone is born with a facial disfigurement, the NHS are likely to provide cosmetic surgery. Where do we draw the line?

I'm not sure where I stand on this to be honest so I'm finding it interesting hearing everyone's opinions.

Ok so it is a cosmetic procedure, but apparently it wasn't done because her breasts were just too small and she wanted them to be bigger - it's claimed she has a congenital condition which means she has absolutely no breast tissue at all. If someone is born with no arms, the NHS provide prosthetic limbs - they aren't necessarily functional so in that respect they are just cosmetic. If someone is born with a facial disfigurement, the NHS are likely to provide cosmetic surgery. Where do we draw the line?

I'm not sure where I stand on this to be honest so I'm finding it interesting hearing everyone's opinions.

Not necessarily, a lot of people do not have prosthetic arms or legs and not everyone who has disfigurements has cosmetic surgery either :shrug:

She had breast tissue before because she stated her bra size was an A cup - you can't have A cup breasts with no breast tissue, especially when that slim.

I have a congenital breast deformity myself - which has led to one growing normally and one not growing. Which I find really hard, and yes it depresses me when I see myself naked and I don't let anyone see my breasts, other than OH because he is very understanding and still loves them/me - but I'm still ashamed when he does see them. And it caused a whole load of unhappiness guilt with the whole breastfeeding thing because I could only produce milk from one which just made me feel like half a woman.

I would never ask the NHS to pay for me to have them corrected though because it is cosmetic, whatever the cause and I would rather wait till I'm older and if it's still a big issue for me then I can save up and pay for it myself.

Not necessarily, a lot of people do not have prosthetic arms or legs and not everyone who has disfigurements has cosmetic surgery either :shrug:

She had breast tissue before because she stated her bra size was an A cup - you can't have A cup breasts with no breast tissue, especially when that slim.

I have a congenital breast deformity myself - which has led to one growing normally and one not growing. Which I find really hard, and yes it depresses me when I see myself naked and I don't let anyone see my breasts, other than OH because he is very understanding and still loves them/me - but I'm still ashamed when he does see them. And it caused a whole load of unhappiness guilt with the whole breastfeeding thing because I could only produce milk from one which just made me feel like half a woman.

I would never ask the NHS to pay for me to have them corrected though because it is cosmetic, whatever the cause and I would rather wait till I'm older and if it's still a big issue for me then I can save up and pay for it myself.

And that is your choice, and good for you for turning down the option on principle. It's important to act in the way you believe is right and I commend you for that. If people disagree with the NHS funding these things then that is one thing but I hate how this girl is being vilified for simply accepting a procedure which was offered to her.

I never suggested that everyone has prosthetic limbs or disfigurement surgery though :shrug: I just said it is available through the NHS and I don't think in those cases it would attract the same attention as this has. Obviously it is difficult to know what condition she has but if she genuinely has a medical condition which means she has no breast tissue then I don't see her breast enlargement as any different from a prosthetic limb.

What you are describing though are very visual things, that people can see at first glance. Arms, legs and face. Small boobs you can hide with a padded bra, or if your that way inclined pay and get then done yourself. I suffer from vitiligo, I can cover it with make up, I would not expect facial bleaching/dying/ fake tan or whatever on the nhs.

Dragonfly, I must ask now, how do you feel about your nose, would you have it done now if offered on the nhs?

What you are describing though are very visual things, that people can see at first glance. Arms, legs and face. Small boobs you can hide with a padded bra, or if your that way inclined pay and get then done yourself. I suffer from vitiligo, I can cover it with make up, I would not expect facial bleaching/dying/ fake tan or whatever on the nhs.

Dragonfly, I must ask now, how do you feel about your nose, would you have it done now if offered on the nhs?

Well I accept there are better ways of hiding small breasts than missing limbs but I still think my point stands.

What about masectomy patients? Should they not be offered reconstructive surgery with implants? I just don't think it's as black and white as being able to say no to all breast implants.

I hate it . I am not sure if I would or not, I mean I shouldnt hate my face so much and should accept it. I am sure if I got it fixed I would still have that deep engrained self esteem problem I had from childhood and a rotten mother. So I dont even see the point really on getting it fixed. If I won the lotto I may and get my teeth done to. But I am a wimp I dont want a sore face. :blush: I say self esteem loving self whatever my looks would be better. I have to learn to love me for my kids to so they see a mum who dosnt hate her face and body so changing things severely probably isnt a great lesson.

I hate it . I am not sure if I would or not, I mean I shouldnt hate my face so much and should accept it. I am sure if I got it fixed I would still have that deep engrained self esteem problem I had from childhood and a rotten mother. So I dont even see the point really on getting it fixed. If I won the lotto I may and get my teeth done to. But I am a wimp I dont want a sore face. :blush: I say self esteem loving self whatever my looks would be better. I have to learn to love me for my kids to so they see a mum who dosnt hate her face and body so changing things severely probably isnt a great lesson.

And I think you have hit the nail on the head. It wasn't about your nose, it was about self esteem issues, and now, older, you acknowledge that. I wonder whether councelling should be offered to all private and NHS plastic surgery cases first, perhaps over a long period, like two years or something, and then come back and address it again.

I dont know, all I can relate it to is my vitiligo. I have it very bad on my knees and ankles, as a teen, you would never see me in a skirt, I thought 'no one would fancy me if I had it as I wasnt perfect'. Fast forward 10 years, and I was with a man who didnt give a flying monkys about it, and I then learnt that if anyone didnt like me because of it, well then do I want to be with a person like that anyway (I know my example sound so shallow but at 16 life seems to be about shallow things;)) Since that boyfriend, I wear skirts, show my ankles, go out without make up. Its about loving yourself for who you are, not who you think people think you should be.

What about masectomy patients? Should they not be offered reconstructive surgery with implants? I just don't think it's as black and white as being able to say no to all breast implants.

Im not actually saying there are genuine reasons for it, I totally get it. I think in this circumstance it was a bad choice.

Im not actually saying there are genuine reasons for it, I totally get it. I think in this circumstance it was a bad choice.

I just think it's hard to judge this story at all. It was published in the Sun, afterall :haha:

I hate how this girl is being vilified for simply accepting a procedure which was offered to her.

I agree, I said above that I don't think she deserves the treatment she is getting from the media and public.

However what exactly did she expect by going to the media with the story?

And this is a direct quote from an interview she did -"One of the main reasons for me wanting to have surgery would have definitely been like I say, me wanting to aspire to be the next Katie Price"

Other quotes include from papers include:

“I want the world to see the new me and want money and fame just like Katie — and my new boobs can make it all happen.”

“I was never depressed about my flat chest and wasn’t teased at school about it. I just got emotional when I was explaining to my GP that I felt I couldn’t live a full life the way I was — and he agreed to refer me for implant surgery"

“My new boobs have changed my life. Now I can’t wait to do topless and swimsuit photoshoots and become the new Katie Price."

Obviously it is difficult to know what condition she has but if she genuinely has a medical condition which means she has no breast tissue then I don't see her breast enlargement as any different from a prosthetic limb.

I think part of the 'outrage' here is that she said she didn't have breast tissue - but she did. Her boobs were just small - an A cup. There are already pictures of her online in underwear and bikinis and some of the tops are so small you can see her breasts coming out of the top - even if they are small.

And have you seen some of the thing's she's posted on twitter? I don't know if her account has been hacked or something but "#TaxPayersAreFuckingDouchebags. Although thank you so much for the tits<3" probably doesn't help the publics response...

I hate how this girl is being vilified for simply accepting a procedure which was offered to her.

I agree, I said above that I don't think she deserves the treatment she is getting from the media and public.

And this is a direct quote from an interview she did -"One of the main reasons for me wanting to have surgery would have definitely been like I say, me wanting to aspire to be the next Katie Price"

&#8220;I want the world to see the new me and want money and fame just like Katie &#8212; and my new boobs can make it all happen.&#8221;

&#8220;I was never depressed about my flat chest and wasn&#8217;t teased at school about it. I just got emotional when I was explaining to my GP that I felt I couldn&#8217;t live a full life the way I was &#8212; and he agreed to refer me for implant surgery"

&#8220;My new boobs have changed my life. Now I can&#8217;t wait to do topless and swimsuit photoshoots and become the new Katie Price."

Obviously it is difficult to know what condition she has but if she genuinely has a medical condition which means she has no breast tissue then I don't see her breast enlargement as any different from a prosthetic limb.

I think part of the 'outrage' here is that she said she didn't have breast tissue - but she did. Her boobs were just small - an A cup. There are already pictures of her online in underwear and bikinis and some of the tops are so small you can see her breasts coming out of the top - even if they are small.

But I take everything I read in tabloids with a pinch/mound of salt. Even her 'direct quotes' come from an extremely unreliable source. I'm not saying what has been printed wasn't was she said, but those kind of answers would have been to very leading questions and I'm sure the format of the story was written even before the interview.

Also like I said before, it's still impossible to judge until we know exactly what the condition is that she claims to have. It may have just been twisted slightly, who knows. But if the surgery was given for reasons in relation to a medical condition then that is different to a cosmetic procedure given simply for a desire for bigger breasts.

“I want the world to see the new me and want money and fame just like Katie — and my new boobs can make it all happen.”

“I was never depressed about my flat chest and wasn’t teased at school about it. I just got emotional when I was explaining to my GP that I felt I couldn’t live a full life the way I was — and he agreed to refer me for implant surgery"

“My new boobs have changed my life. Now I can’t wait to do topless and swimsuit photoshoots and become the new Katie Price."

But I take everything I read in tabloids with a pinch/mound of salt. Even her 'direct quotes' come from an extremely unreliable source. I'm not saying what has been printed wasn't was she said, but those kind of answers would have been to very leading questions and I'm sure the format of the story was written even before the interview.

Also like I said before, it's still impossible to judge until we know exactly what the condition is that she claims to have. It may have just been twisted slightly, who knows. But if the surgery was given for reasons in relation to a medical condition then that is different to a cosmetic procedure given simply for a desire for bigger breasts.

Sorry I should have been more specific - there are video interviews with her talking about it. The particular one I watched there were no questions she just spoke about how and why it came about and her future career etc

And I think you have hit the nail on the head. It wasn't about your nose, it was about self esteem issues, and now, older, you acknowledge that. I wonder whether councelling should be offered to all private and NHS plastic surgery cases first, perhaps over a long period, like two years or something, and then come back and address it again.

I dont know, all I can relate it to is my vitiligo. I have it very bad on my knees and ankles, as a teen, you would never see me in a skirt, I thought 'no one would fancy me if I had it as I wasnt perfect'. Fast forward 10 years, and I was with a man who didnt give a flying monkys about it, and I then learnt that if anyone didnt like me because of it, well then do I want to be with a person like that anyway (I know my example sound so shallow but at 16 life seems to be about shallow things;)) Since that boyfriend, I wear skirts, show my ankles, go out without make up. Its about loving yourself for who you are, not who you think people think you should be.

The older I am the less I care, I asked when I was a teen as I was going through hell. This is how I look, I take others how they look and I assume the take me that way to and if they have a prob with my nose thats shallow, I am more than a tiny bump on my nose. I only wanted a new nose to make msyelf feel better but having weight issues being skinny I wasnt happy as I never seen it and then being fat I now realise I wont be with whatever size I am or whatever my nose looks like, Its far deeper. They should offer counselling. I remember asking for CBT but they didnt do that here on nhs. I grew up with a mum who hated me, hated my looks, picked on my looks and put me down. Thats the problem not my nose. :nope:

Sorry I should have been more specific - there are video interviews with her talking about it. The particular one I watched there were no questions she just spoke about how and why it came about and her future career etc

Was it the Daybreak interview? I just watched it and I think she came across quite well to be honest. All she said is that aspiring to be like Katie Price was in the back of her mind, and you can't really blame her for that. She's one of thousands who aspire to fame, symptomatic of the celebrity culture we live in. Pretty sad that anyone can't find a better role model.

Was it the Daybreak interview? I just watched it and I think she came across quite well to be honest. All she said is that aspiring to be like Katie Price was in the back of her mind, and you can't really blame her for that. She's one of thousands who aspire to fame, symptomatic of the celebrity culture we live in. Pretty sad that anyone can't find a better role model.

Yes it is very sad to be honest :( I read in a paper too that her parents will be looking after her two young children so she can leave her job and focus on becoming a glamour model - but this wasn't a video so I guess it could have been a mis-quote. Still sad.

The interview I saw wasn't day break but I can't remember what it was, just googled for Josie Cunningham interview x

Hmmm, tricky one, and I speak as someone who had their ears pinned back on the NHS as a 12 year old....

I know I'm being extremely hypocritical but I do see breast implants as something different to ears being pinned back. My ears affected me from pretty much the day I was born (they stuck out to a ridiculous degree!); I was unable to ever do the normal things young girls do in terms of having their hair done nicely, and times when I was made to tie my hair up were just horrendous (P.E. at school, when everyone just made fun of me). Having my ears pinned back transformed everything, and not because I wanted to copy some glamour model. I just wanted to be able to be like every other young girl and not be made fun of.

So I suppose I'm not against cosmetic surgery on the NHS if there is a valid reason* for it. I haven't actually seen anything in the media about this girl so can't really comment on her.

*I'm aware this is very subjective - and that what I saw as a valid reason for having my ears pinned back may not seem valid to many others

Hmmm, tricky one, and I speak as someone who had their ears pinned back on the NHS as a 12 year old....

I know I'm being extremely hypocritical but I do see breast implants as something different to ears being pinned back. My ears affected me from pretty much the day I was born (they stuck out to a ridiculous degree!); I was unable to ever do the normal things young girls do in terms of having their hair done nicely, and times when I was made to tie my hair up were just horrendous (P.E. at school, when everyone just made fun of me). Having my ears pinned back transformed everything, and not because I wanted to copy some glamour model. I just wanted to be able to be like every other young girl and not be made fun of.

So I suppose I'm not against cosmetic surgery on the NHS if there is a valid reason* for it. I haven't actually seen anything in the media about this girl so can't really comment on her.

*I'm aware this is very subjective - and that what I saw as a valid reason for having my ears pinned back may not seem valid to many others

It definitely is subjective and that's why it's so difficult. To add balance though, I was bullied at school for being two things - skinny and flat chested. Boys and girls used to take the piss out of me for having no boobs as I was a really late bloomer and didn't have anything at all until I was 14. I was so self conscious, I missed out on a lot of things too - couldn't wear certain tops, hated swimming, hated PE too because I was in bloody crop tops until a stupid age. And I could never have gone out and bought a padded bra as I would have been absolutely ridiculed.

Now I'm not suggesting I should have had a boob job :haha: just pointing out that the issues that it led to (self consciousness, an obsession with the size of my breasts, social paranoia etc) would definitely still be present today had I not have finally bloomed and grown to the size I did. I didn't want boobs to be a glamour model, just wanted to be like every other girl and not be bullied, just like you did. Kids will bully about anything they can and the scars of that last a long time.

I'm all for mental health but giving people cosmetic surgery is not the way to go about it.

As for the limbs comparison, I do think it's quite different. Arguably even a prosthetic limb is more functional than larger breasts. And when it comes down to things like breasts, noses, etc. there's such a wide variety of shapes and sizes...whereas it really comes down to you either have an arm or you don't. I probably didn't explain that very well but they're just two very different things IMO.

I have a friend who had A cups and I know they were a cause of embarrassment for her for her entire life, and she got implants a couple of years ago. I do feel for her that she felt so self-conscious about it but I think most of us could look in the mirror and pick out something we don't like about ourselves. It's not on anyone else to fix those things for us...we either find a way to accept it, move past it, or if we're really stuck on it...save up money to get cosmetic surgery. As others have said, there are far more important things to spend money on than breast implants. And I don't see how THAT is subjective.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->