Free NHS boobs?

I'm all for mental health but giving people cosmetic surgery is not the way to go about it.

As for the limbs comparison, I do think it's quite different. Arguably even a prosthetic limb is more functional than larger breasts. And when it comes down to things like breasts, noses, etc. there's such a wide variety of shapes and sizes...whereas it really comes down to you either have an arm or you don't. I probably didn't explain that very well but they're just two very different things IMO.

I have a friend who had A cups and I know they were a cause of embarrassment for her for her entire life, and she got implants a couple of years ago. I do feel for her that she felt so self-conscious about it but I think most of us could look in the mirror and pick out something we don't like about ourselves. It's not on anyone else to fix those things for us...we either find a way to accept it, move past it, or if we're really stuck on it...save up money to get cosmetic surgery. As others have said, there are far more important things to spend money on than breast implants. And I don't see how THAT is subjective.

Actually I do agree with this, I think it's a good point. There are definitely differences; but implants in that case are still a form of prosthesis, by definition.

I guess if you are utterly fixated on an aspect of your body which you are missing (in a medical sense, not necessarily just that they are smaller than you'd like) then I imagine it would consume you and pervade all areas of your life. I guess that's where subjectivity is involved. If you have a medical condition that is ruining your life, it would seem pretty important to you.

It does seem hypocritical to me that people would support the NHS in providing implants to mastectomy patients but not to people who have no breast tissue.

I'm all for mental health but giving people cosmetic surgery is not the way to go about it.

As for the limbs comparison, I do think it's quite different. Arguably even a prosthetic limb is more functional than larger breasts. And when it comes down to things like breasts, noses, etc. there's such a wide variety of shapes and sizes...whereas it really comes down to you either have an arm or you don't. I probably didn't explain that very well but they're just two very different things IMO.

I have a friend who had A cups and I know they were a cause of embarrassment for her for her entire life, and she got implants a couple of years ago. I do feel for her that she felt so self-conscious about it but I think most of us could look in the mirror and pick out something we don't like about ourselves. It's not on anyone else to fix those things for us...we either find a way to accept it, move past it, or if we're really stuck on it...save up money to get cosmetic surgery. As others have said, there are far more important things to spend money on than breast implants. And I don't see how THAT is subjective.

Actually I do agree with this, I think it's a good point. There are definitely differences; but implants in that case are still a form of prosthesis, by definition.

I guess if you are utterly fixated on an aspect of your body which you are missing (in a medical sense, not necessarily just that they are smaller than you'd like) then I imagine it would consume you and pervade all areas of your life. I guess that's where subjectivity is involved. If you have a medical condition that is ruining your life, it would seem pretty important to you.

It does seem hypocritical to me that people would support the NHS in providing implants to mastectomy patients but not to people who have no breast tissue.

I know I've bolded things from two different posters, but...

Regarding there being more important things to spend your money on, it's obviously more important to some people than others. Just like spending money on a holiday, second car, expensive clothes... if you can afford it, why not? There is a huge amount of difference though between choosing to spend your personal money on cosmetic surgery or expecting the NHS to foot the bill.

Regarding mastectomy patients/people with no natural breast tissue. I suppose the difference is that a mastectomy patient has lost something that they previously had, possibly leaving them with one breast. That said, the lady this thread is about was apparently an A cup and that isn't the same as having no breast tissue at all.

Sorry, I was speaking in terms of the NHS or any other public health organization. I don't care at all if anyone chooses to use their own personal income to buy new boobs.

Growing up, I never went past a AA-cup. At almost 5'11" with wide hips, my body looked very disproportionate. At 21, I decided to save my money for breast augmentation. I was not depressed growing up, as my parents and grandparents taught me that self-esteem was the result of more than my cup size. However, as I got older I recognized that it was the one thing that I felt I could not change by working out. While I totally understand someone's desire to undergo the procedure, I don't agree that it should be paid for without extenuating circumstances such as a mastectomy. I sincerely hope that this story is VERY sensationalized and completely misquoted. To talk about starting a collection of LV handbags and bailing on your children to pursue a topless modeling career isn't something I would necessarily appreciate my tax dollars going towards.

Then again, insurance in the States wouldn't cover breast implants for either my mother or grandmother after they both underwent mastectomies, so maybe I'm a little jaded.

I saw everybody slagging her off on fb and I just hoped it wasnt right.I cant see children going without cancer drugs because of this womans boobs tbh.

In my opinion unless the cosmetic surgery is going to save your life or is gojng to prevent serious medical problems and pain you should have to pay for it yourself.
Having small breasts may well be distressing and cause upset but its not life threatening and she should have to save up and pay for it.

I saw everybody slagging her off on fb and I just hoped it wasnt right.I cant see children going without cancer drugs because of this womans boobs tbh.

Likely not. But where do you draw the line? As I said in a previous post, I don't see a woman being dissatisfied with her breasts as being any different than a woman being dissatisfied with her nose, or her tummy fat, or having thin lips. So where do you draw the line? It's a slippery slope. If a public health organization starts paying for cosmetic surgery in general, the cost will add up very quickly and money WILL have to be taken from somewhere.

I understand the mental health aspect, if people have scars, extra skin, abnormal features etc I understand- but small boobs? I think the NHS have made the wrong decision, they are condoning this country's pathetic obsession with the perfect body, if she was that badly affected by small boobs they should have given her therapy to talk some sense into her, she is young, I'd like to think she would grow up and realise there are more important things in life. If it was a result of cancer etc that is a totally different issue, having a breast job after that can be part of the mental and physical recovery process. If the NHS was inundated with money then that's a different issue, but when there are cancer drugs we can't afford, smears not being given until 25 there is just not the money for it. And whether it is 5k is irrevelent, I think the biggest issue is the message the NHS has given to society, not happy with your body? Pressured by magazines? Yeah we should fix you. She should have saved up and bought it herself, if she was that hard done by her body shape she would have done that. Not right at all if you ask me.

I don't feel sorry for the girl being vilified, she has brought it on herself selling her story in the way she has, it's sickening and pathetic, "be careful what you wish for" springs to mind.

I'm sorry i haven't read all the posts (on my lunch break lol)
I do and don't agree but I am such a hypocrite. I had weight loss surgery on the NHS and in a month loss a significant amount of weight. What I didn't think about was falling pregnant and look at me now! I feel I have wasted the NHS's money because they now need to remove the balloon in April 2 months before it should have been. Now i didn't go because i don't like the way I look because I actually do i'm a size uk 18 and i love curves, my issue is the strain on my heart (I suffer from tachycardia)

I know someone who had 1 breast that was E cup and the other was a B cup. She got the surgery on the NHS to englarge the smaller and lift the larger breast. So for reasons like that then yes i agree.

If it was just because a person doesn't like the fact she doesn't have boobs that that upsets her, maybe the government should pay towards it and the person foots the rest.

x

I'm sorry i haven't read all the posts (on my lunch break lol)
I do and don't agree but I am such a hypocrite. I had weight loss surgery on the NHS and in a month loss a significant amount of weight. What I didn't think about was falling pregnant and look at me now! I feel I have wasted the NHS's money because they now need to remove the balloon in April 2 months before it should have been. Now i didn't go because i don't like the way I look because I actually do i'm a size uk 18 and i love curves, my issue is the strain on my heart (I suffer from tachycardia)

I know someone who had 1 breast that was E cup and the other was a B cup. She got the surgery on the NHS to englarge the smaller and lift the larger breast. So for reasons like that then yes i agree.

If it was just because a person doesn't like the fact she doesn't have boobs that that upsets her, maybe the government should pay towards it and the person foots the rest.

x

I don't see weight loss surgery as a problem (as long as it's accompanied by psychological help if needed and dietry advice - just to prevent it happening again, as weight problems..either over or under, often have underlying issues) ...surely the potential health affects could cost the NHS more in the long run? And really the surgery is as much for the actual health implications as well. To me, not allowing that would be equal to not treating severely underweight patients as well. (Not saying any of this applies to you, just you mentioned the surgery!)

Argh. I can see that mental health is just important as physical health, but surely treatment for this woman would've been more effective? In general, i'd imagine that with someone with serious body issues, then the focus would just change once the surgery was done? Surgery alone isn't going to fix those problems. I also appreciate that it's not like her surgery directly took from a dying patient or whatever, as there must be allocations for different departments (i'm guessing), but I can't help but think that when the NHS is pushed to this point then it needs re-orgnaising completely and 'unnecessary' cosmetic surgery just cannot be a priority.

Is it ever possible to have a normal discussion about a subject like this when we have the Sun as our source material and references to children going without cancer drugs?

This woman has probably made thousands of extra profit for this rag with her doubtlessly exaggerated story. Are we really expected to believe she turned round to the journalist and said "Make sure you quote me as telling the taxpayer 'I couldn't have done it without you'"?

Sorry, I was speaking in terms of the NHS or any other public health organization. I don't care at all if anyone chooses to use their own personal income to buy new boobs.

Oops, sorry for the misunderstanding. Thanks for explaining.

I always said I would never go under the knife for a boob job but then my breasts deflated after breastfeeding both the girls. I was really down and seriously considered a lift or something like that. However I wouldn't have considered asking NHS to fund this, even if it was the result of breastfeeding, and arguably improving my babies health etc. I work for NHS and can see so many other uses for the money.

Is it ever possible to have a normal discussion about a subject like this when we have the Sun as our source material and references to children going without cancer drugs?

This woman has probably made thousands of extra profit for this rag with her doubtlessly exaggerated story. Are we really expected to believe she turned round to the journalist and said "Make sure you quote me as telling the taxpayer 'I couldn't have done it without you'"?

:thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->