Friendly thread -Why did you choose to FF?

I didn't really choose to FF, was more forced to do it. Holly wouldn't latch despite help from loads of people from midwives to a lactation consultant. I expressed 3 hourly round the clock for 6 weeks, in the hope that she'd learn to latch. She never did, and expressing was too much to cope with, as well as coping with a screaming silent refluxy baby who refused to sleep.

I get confused when people say FF is easier. Obviously it's easier in the short term as BF is bloody hard work in the early days. But what could be easier than fresh, correct temperature milk whenever LO desires it. I still have the hump with Holly for making me wash and sterilise all those poxy bottles :haha: Oh, and she also has a cows milk protein intolerance, so FF was fun, fun, fun til that was sorted when she was 5 months old :wacko:

I still have to wash and sterilise bottles too - as well as all the bits for the breast pump!! :haha:

God yeah, tell me about it. I had to combi feed when I was expressing, as I didn't pump enough to give her exclusive BM. The amount of bottles and pump parts I was washing each day was ridiculous!

I FF my son cause my mom said he'd sleep better :dohh: She was wrong, and I was stupid/uneducated, lol.

had really bad experience with my first lo trying to bf 7 years ago, she was feeding every 20 mins and my nipples were so sore and they were bleeding badly, i didnt really have a clue what i was doing whether she was latched on right or anything, i was only 20 and i can remember the first time i fed her the midwife said just get on with it and left the room without helping or guiding, 5 days later after my persevering with 20 minute feeds no support or guidance it finally reached the point where i was in sooo much pain the thought of giving her another feed actually made me feel ill and i burst into tears because i just couldn't put her on, so i gave in and ff. Second lo the bad experience had put me off, i would have liked to have given it another go but i was just too scared ! shame as i think back and wish i could have got past the bad experience and given it a go but even thinking of it now makes me shudder :0x

I wouldn't say I chose to though I guess technically I did (had to). I managed to bf collostrum but my milk never came in, I was anaemic from a blood loss from labour, felt really I'll and stressed, poor LO was stressed and upset not being able to get any milk out. Midwives advised me to keep going and the milk would come in but it also really hurt me even though they say it shouldn't if you are doing it right and I had goodness knows how many different midwives helping. I tried breast shields, I tried expressing, after 10 days I made the decision to "give up" and ff. Wish I could give LO breast milk, not to mention how expensive formula is and what a faff sterilising and making bottles is! That said there is one benefit that others can also feed LO. DH does evening feeds and my mum and MIL in the early days helped with night feeds so I could catch up on sleep when I was very anaemic.

Medical reasons. I had to go back onto my medication asap after birth.
I also had an infection in my stitches so need strong antibiotics a week after Pops was born and on top of that I got PND and put onto happy pills quite soon after too.

So yeah, medical reasons.
But tbh I don't feel guilty Poppy is thriving and so healthy. I didn't breast feed my ds either and he's 15 now and a big strapping picture of health with no major medical problems throughout his life.

At the risk of being controversial I think BF is unnecessarily 'pushed' onto people. It's a stressful time as it is without ladies being made to feel guilty and a failure for not breast feeding. :wacko:
A happy mamma leads to a happy baba!

2bh my birth experience was the reason why i didnt breastfeed. i ended up having emcs as my lo was footling breech. i was so drugged up for it and the first time i held her i didnt feel that amazing love that people talk about. i was completely immobilised from my legs downward and couldnt get in a good position and my baby was screaming for a feed. so i ff her as i didnt want to start resenting her or feel like a complete failure if i struggled to feed. it was the best decision at the time. iI hope this doesnt make me sound selfish

The only people I've known FF from birth are the girls from my school, who *seriously* aren't the brightest (mmm, drugs) and had their youngest at 16/17, have never had a job and live off benefits. I don't think they would ever consider BFing an option. Everyone else I've known has at least tried to do the first couple of feeds so LO gets the colostrum.

i know you probably didnt mean it in a nasty way but i do find that slightly offensive. im bright, dont do drugs, yes im young but i have a job and dont live off benefits and i chose to FF from the start and i doubt im alone in that.
BF was never really an option for me but its not because im an uneducated druggy :haha:

I don't think the idea that BFing something most ladies try and fail is a helpful one at all. The fact is, 97% of women physically can breastfeed, but by 6 months, only about 1% do! BFing needs trained support workers, who don't undermine confidence and jeopardise BFing by suggesting unnecessary top-ups or unrealistic feeding schedules. Posters declaring 'breast is best' help no one, and the meaningless rhetoric just makes the whole thing a bit of a joke. I think encouraging women to at least feed for the first day is a realistic aim, and then the support should be in place for those who want to continue. And this idea of failure, just puts pressure on women at an already stressful time.

Formula isn't poison, and babies can and do thrive on it. However, until BFin is seen as more than a slightly hippy choice which only a few super human women can achieve, then I think BFing should be pushed and supported. Formula companies have multi-million pound budgets, and BFing needs someone to stand in it's corner too.

Sorry, I've gone off on a tangent again. Blame lack of sleep :coffee:

when I was pregnant I chose to ff as I wasn't comfortable to get my boob out in public or infront of family,I liked the fact that I could get help with feeding and baby wouldn't need to be totally reliant on me incase one day I was a little late home or something and I had heard loads of horror stories about baby needing to b on the breast 24/7 as they weren't getting enough and nipples bleeding so much that blood would come out of babies mouth.bcoz of all this I could never understand why anyone would want to ebf.I guess we all have our own mind set

as it turned out Lola really wanted to bf at birth and took to it straight away and it was the only thing that stopped her crying on her second night in this big scary world.she did stay on for 8 hours and when I took her off she cried,exactly how I imagined BUT if that's what she was going to want then I wouldve done it but after two days I got MRSA and needed to b pumped with so many different things that I couldn't and wasn't allowed to bf so she ended up exclusively ff in the end anyway xx

The only people I've known FF from birth are the girls from my school, who *seriously* aren't the brightest (mmm, drugs) and had their youngest at 16/17, have never had a job and live off benefits. I don't think they would ever consider BFing an option. Everyone else I've known has at least tried to do the first couple of feeds so LO gets the colostrum.

i know you probably didnt mean it in a nasty way but i do find that slightly offensive. im bright, dont do drugs, yes im young but i have a job and dont live off benefits and i chose to FF from the start and i doubt im alone in that.
BF was never really an option for me but its not because im an uneducated druggy :haha:

I wondered when I wrote that whether it would be taken the wrong way. All I mean is that the only people I know who've never expressed even a slight desire to try BFing were the ones who were young and less educated. I'm only 22 myself, and was 21 when LO was born, so I'm by no means knocking young parents. I know there are women who choose to FF from birth, but I can hand on heart say that all my friends and ladies I know have at least tried, except for that particular social group. Just an observation, that's all :flower:

Because it was a choice between expressing while Ruby cried in a bouncer chair, or giving formula. I chose not leaving her crying over giving her breastmilk. She wouldn't latch as she has/had an upper lip tie.

I had an emergency c-section and finding out my LO has Congenital Hypothyroidism and an enlarged wall in her heart i was a mess! we had a week in NICU and i BF the entire time. I think she wasn't latching properly as my nipples were so painful and i was holding back the tears when feeding her but just pretended i was fine as i was determined to give her the best start. Once we got home, the HV made me sooooo paranoid about her weight (CH can cause slow growth) that i just kinda gave up on the BF. I was in so much pain tho and i think the combination of everything was just too much for me and i decided i NEEDED to know she was getting enough milk. I sent my OH to get formula and to be honest it was so good seeing her drink, knowing she was having enough and my nipples getting a break. I felt unbelievably guilty tho (still do!! but thats my pregnancy hormones!!)
With this next one i will be trying BF again, i feel i'll be a bit more prepared for it. But i will be introducing a bottle (EBF hopefully) too - i'll only have a year between them and for me its definitely important that daddy (or anyone else) can feed too.
But my LO is definitely healthy and happy, she has gone from 2nd-25th centile and is meeting all her milestones so even if the next one has CH, we'll all be more prepared!!

I most certainly did not choose to FF. I planned to BF throughout pregnancy. Had a terrible labour resulting in EMCS. In recovery I think Alice was rooting when I first held but my blood pressure remained very low for a good hour afterward so I had numerous Docs and MWs around trying to get my BP up so noone could give me a hand latching on.

I had a disgusting lack of support in hospital due to understaffing and also the MWs who did help clearly didn't know what they were doing and showing my incorrect and painful ways to latch (like forcing my nipple into Alice's mouth).

Alice really struggle to latch on and I spent 3 days and 2 nights in postnatal with no sleep and dealing with trying to feed her on my own.

I remember crying on night 2 because I struggled so much trying to get her to latch, when I asked for help the MW She-Hulk came stomping in with a right sour puss on, shoved my sore nipple in her mouth and immediately stomped out after grumbling at me 'you know you can't go home until you establish BF'. She said she would be back in 10 minutes to see how I was getting on, she never came back.

That same night Alice was crying to be fed a lot and all the other mums in my room were FF and tutting because she was waking them up. All 4 of those ladies got a decent sleep that night because instead of helping me BF, they were FF the other ladies' babies.

I felt so alone that night.

Anyway so I was discharged the next day when BF hadn't been established and the MW noticed she was jaundiced. Luckily I'd been seen by a BF support lady who had shown me proper latch technique but Alice would latch still, she told me to persist.

That day Alice continued to refuse to latch and was very sleepy. I was frantic out of my mind with worry that she was sick. She went hours without feeding. DH and I looked on kellymom, I called the national BF helpline twice but nothing worked. We eventually decided to give her 1oz at about 9:30pm because I was terrified she was septic. She guzzled it down! Anyway so that night I stayed up till 4am hand expressing 7mls of colostrum. I tried cup feeding but she didn't like that so I put it in a bottle and she guzzled it. I think we also had a bit more success at latching her because she was mote alert as she had some food in her.

The MW came out the next day (and my milk had come in) and sent us straight back into hospital. Alice had lost 11.5% of her body weight and her jaundice was worse. Bloods showed her jaundice was *just* under the treatment line and she was mildly dehydrated.

They initially were going to send us home as long as Alice had a good feed off me in A&E. We tried for an hour and both DH and I say that was the worst hour of our lives. Whenever we tried to latch her on Alice would SCREAM and frantically shake her head in distress. A nurse came in to help and made it worse by trying to shove the nipple in her mouth. I was in tears, my breasts were so painful and Alice's cries pierced my heart.

Because she wouldn't feed, they admitted us and said they would give me BF support. That consisted of giving me a breast pump and telling me to get on with it. I was stuck on that pump constantly for 2 days (on the 2nd day a nurse who knew more about pumping gave me an extra pump so I could double pump) getting pitiful amouts whilst topping up because the consultant wanted her to have a certain amount of fluids each feed due to the jaundice and dehydration.

We got home eventually once she put on weigh and her jaundice levels got a bit better. I carried on pumping as if my life depended on it and trying to latch her one. She carried on refusing to latch (latch problems aren't a 'lie' as previously stated, they are extremely prevelant as evidenced on this thread and it's also discussed on kellymom and babycentre) and screaming the house down if we tried. And boy did I try and try and try.

I was falling and falling into a pit of depression over my failure to successfully BF. And when she started to refuse my EBM point blank (2oz which took me 90 long and uncomfortable minutes to express) I reached rock bottom and had to give up before I went insane.

Without telling anyone, my mum, DH, friends etc I carried on trying to get her to latch and was looking into relactating. I only stopped that last week because we weren't making any progress and Alice still got distressed at the breast. It was getting us both too stressed out.

I do feel like a failure. I couldn't go into labour naturally (was induced due to overdue and pre-eclampsia), couldn't give birth naturally (got to 36 hours and 9cm before the EMCS decision) and I couldn't feed my little girl naturally. It's shocked me how low I've felt about it. I always said when I was pregnant if I struggled I wouldn't beat myself about it but I have and still am. :cry:

I feel so guilty especially as we found out at 3 weeks Alice has a congenital heart defect and I wish I could give her milk and protect her from getting sick.

I feel guilty because I'm not the only one who had a tough time of things but others have succeeded where I haven't. I still ask could I have done more? But DH says whenever I say this to him that I tried my best and beyond my best and was driving myself into PND by doing so.

Sorry for going on. But that's my story of why I didn't choose to FF but ended up doing so.

I choose to FF because BF would have made me an unhappy mummy thus an unhappy baby, its something im uncomfortable with. Plus i dont know anyone who BFs who isnt up half a dozen times durring the night as its digested so quickly (my husband doesnt help out at nights). I know BF has 'benifits' but it seems my LO is doing very well with FF, hes gained weight spot on to 50percentile,hes 5 months old and touch wood still not a cold in sight, and seems to be thriving.
So the long and short of it is, its not for us.

I chose to FF because i wanted too. I wouldnt have felt comfortable doing it and i know that would have stressed LO out and i didnt want that. Also no one i know and i mean no one has breast fed, no one in my family as far back as i know or have been told have so its just something that ive not had around me. I also believe that formula cant be a bad thing because if it was that bad they wouldnt make it or sell it. I dont think my LO will be less educated, slower or anything like that because i didnt BF him, i personally think things like that are nothing to do with it. I dont feel bad about my decision and i dont think it makes me a bad Mum!

I chose formula with Bobby and ill choose it again with any other babies with have in the future!

:flower:

I started out breastfeeding but Ryan lost 10% of his body weight and 2 weeks after his birth he had only gained 30g, was still jaundiced and sleepy. We really struggled, my nipples were sore, cracked and bleeding and I dreaded having to feed him and ended up in tears everytime. My midwife wanted to refer us to a paediatrician for proabable admit to monitor his weight. I was advised to continue bf and top up with formula in the meantime. I planned to combi feed by expressing and feeding from a bottle and topping up with formula. The next day I sat and pumped every couple of hours and got 5 oz from both sides over the whole day! By that point Ryan was polishing off 4oz formula every 3 or 4 hours so I made the decision to switch to 100% formula. By the time I had made a bottle, given it him, expressed and washed and sterilised all the bits it was time to start again. I chose to ff to give me time to enjoy my baby. After 3 days of ff ryan had gained 260g and was thriving and I was much less stressed!

If I'm honest I do think my experience has put me off bf. I will try again but I'm not putting pressure on my self for it to succeed. I haven't really found ff a hassle and Ryan seems to have thrived.

Mrs Pop, I sooo get you on the guilt thing hun :hugs:

In the hospital i was in, i watch a team of midwives bully a poor foreign lass into trying to BF, her LO wouldn't latch, she couldn't express any milk at all and for 3 days i saw what a state they were both in. I am completely for trying your hardest but this poor woman was crying in my arms at night. I told her she can ask for formula, no one had told her this and she thought she would be in hospital for months until her LO fed.
I heard her asking the midwife for milk and sobbing and the midwife kept saying no, i actually stuck my head in and said "can you please give them them some formula" It was actually disgusting the way they were treating her. I do think sometimes the breastfeeding push can go a bit too far.
I hope that didn't offend anyone, i'm very pro BF but not to the point of bullying

Fair enough not to bully people but I wish to god someone had been more pushy and forceful with getting me to seek help with Ruby's latch. I know they meant well but I don't really thank those who just said all the 'formula is fine, happy mummy is happy baby' stuff to me at the time. Formula did not make me a happy mummy in the long term.

Oh mherkes that poor poor lady :( that's made me cry hearing about that! (bad PND day). Well done you for standing up for her :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->