Friendly thread -Why did you choose to FF?

I personally don't think breastfeeding has any benefits really, it's the baseline norm, it's NOT breastfeeding that carries risks. But it can't be worded like that because it puts people's backs up making them less likely to listen to the message.

That is the way my lc put it-risks of ff,rather than benefits of bf.
I think that is wrong actually,whether you chose ff or ff chose you,that kind of thing makes it sound dangerous,which it isnt:nope:.It has no doubt saved many lives since it was invented.

I don't doubt that, but formula does carry risks. Not certainties. It also doesn't mean to say that it isn't the best thing to do in some situations. But still, it does carry risks.

So many people believe there are no benefits to BFing past the first few days. You've only got to nose through some of the threads in the BF section to see women fight with MILs, doctors, husbands and HVs who just don't believe that breastmilk could possibly be as good for a baby as formula. Ignorance is surprisingly wide spread. Ask the mom of a 4 month old baby who's constantly asked whether she's *still* breastfeeding instead of giving LO *real* food.

For different reasons, the breast is best messase doesn't help either, as it implies that breast is the unobtainable ideal, and FF is normal.

fair enough, but if you glanced in the FF scetion youd just see just as many negatives and sad posts about women made to feel an inch tall for FF.
IMO and only IMO ive never seen one bit of REAL LIFE evidence that the benefits are as important as we are told. yes, research, research..but all i ever see is how FF has brought up a healthy, fit child and not a sickly one!

But formula feeding is a social norm, not a biological one.

Just to keep experience over research in perspective - I've never seen or been in a car accident. But I still wear a seatbelt every journey.

ahh .. i read the first few pages of this thread then wrote my 'why i ff' post, it showed up on this last page and lo and behold its gone tot of topic.... i love this website, its been ace throughout my first preg and miscarrage then this pregnancy and now with my ds, i have had tons of tips and learnt a hell of a lot, i can get info on the variouse issues i'm haveing but i really hate it when the good goes bad. lets just put our own storys in here so we can read those and not get into these debates as both ff and bf mums will not all agree x

I'd hope though that most people do it because it's safer, not just because it's law??

Ok ladies, back on track.

OP is clearly asking FFers why they chose formula. You all have the right to express your opinions but this is not a FFing vs BFing debate thread. We all know the benefits of BFing but it doesnt always work. If you feel a certain reply is offensive to BFer or other members please report it instead of turning a friendly thread into a debate.

I'm moving this thread to the FFing section. I'd be thankful if you keep it on track

Bored of breastfeeding lectures.com, blah blah blah!!!! The poster asked for opinions from people who chose to FF! Sorry but all the do-gooders p*SS me off!! Breastfeeding is not the be all and end all of good parenting and FF is not a 2nd class method of feeding, it's a choice! We all have one and shouldn't be made to feel guilty for choices we make for our children. Rant over

I personally don't think breastfeeding has any benefits really, it's the baseline norm, it's NOT breastfeeding that carries risks. But it can't be worded like that because it puts people's backs up making them less likely to listen to the message.

This thread is chock full of women who FF after struggling to BF. Most of us have 'listened to the message' that BM is best. So why come on a thread asking why we FF and tell us we are putting our children at risk? That's not fair and actually really upsetting.

This thread was supposed to be friendly. Can we move away from the BF is superior stuff now? I have PND as it is over not being able to BF!

Bored of breastfeeding lectures.com, blah blah blah!!!! The poster asked for opinions from people who chose to FF! Sorry but all the do-gooders p*SS me off!! Breastfeeding is not the be all and end all of good parenting and FF is not a 2nd class method of feeding, it's a choice! We all have one and shouldn't be made to feel guilty for choices we make for our children. Rant over

People who are disrespectful, piss me off.

That is the way my lc put it-risks of ff,rather than benefits of bf.
I think that is wrong actually,whether you chose ff or ff chose you,that kind of thing makes it sound dangerous,which it isnt:nope:.It has no doubt saved many lives since it was invented.

No one's saying FF is dangerous. But it is a deviation from the biological norm, which will inevitable carry risks. Just like us sitting working in offices instead of hunting fresh meat carries risks of heart disease and stress. Formula has saved many lives, however it has also cost many lives in countries where water sanitation is poor or education on how to correctly prepare formula is lacking.

That's seriously OT, but formula companies aren't benign. They want profits, and if some uneducated African children die in the process, they don't seem to care.

This thread is chock full of women who FF after struggling to FF. Most of us have 'listened to the message' that BM is best. So why come on a thread asking why we FF and tell us we are putting our children at risk? That's not fair and actually really upsetting.

This thread was supposed to be friendly. Can we move away from the BF is superior stuff now? I have PND as it is over not being able to BF!

I'm one of those women who couldn't BF but it doesn't mean I want or need to be shielded from the facts.

Post no.106 the mod asked us nicely to get back to topic.

People who are disrespectful, piss me off.

Only because u always think ur right!

Enough ladies.

A moderator has already come on here and asked to get it back on track. Both sides need to calm down and continuing to post snipes at each other will have accounts reviewed.

oh gawwwwd

At the end of the day a lot of people choose to FF, not just attempted BF but couldn't continue. I'm interested to know the reasons too such as because it's not something I considered. There's something a bit cagey and taboo about choosing to FF with certain groups of people, and there are groups in society (such as teen mums) that people always ASSUME will FF - i thought this thread would be fascinating to dispute some of these stereotypes about who chooses to FF and the reasons why. I mean why does everyone recoil in shock when I ask if I can nurse infront of them? Is it because they assume I FF? And why would they assume that, is it because I clearly want to go out and get drunk all the time or lumber my LO on my mum everyday because i'm a teenager and that's unworkable if I BF? I want to know the genuine reasons that combat these stupid guesses that people have for mums as to why they chose to FF :flower:

oh gawwwwd

At the end of the day a lot of people choose to FF, not just attempted BF but couldn't continue. I'm interested to know the reasons too such as because it's not something I considered. There's something a bit cagey and taboo about choosing to FF with certain groups of people, and there are groups in society (such as teen mums) that people always ASSUME will FF - i thought this thread would be fascinating to dispute some of these stereotypes about who chooses to FF and the reasons why. I mean why does everyone recoil in shock when I ask if I can nurse infront of them? Is it because they assume I FF? And why would they assume that, is it because I clearly want to go out and get drunk all the time or lumber my LO on my mum everyday because i'm a teenager and that's unworkable if I BF? I want to know the genuine reasons that combat these stupid guesses that people have for mums as to why they chose to FF :flower:

Well said, people are so very quick to judge and stereotype :flower:

With my son I decided to FF out of ignorance.

I don't mean this in a bad way either. I truly didn't know better. I thought breastfeeding was gross and weird. I also thought sleep was more important, which breaks my heart now... I wanted to go out with friends and still *have a life* so to speak.
I didn't realize it was so beneficial to me and my baby to breastfeed. Doctors didn't explain much, neither did nurses. It is just what you did... give a baby a bottle of formula. I do know different now, which is why I breastfed my daughter for almost 14 months and would have happily continued until she self weaned properly (she weaned early due to stress... :( )

this thread started so nicely *sigh*

To answer the OP's question I assumed I would bf all through my pregnancy. I had a failed induction which ended with an EMCS (have since been told that I would never have been able to deliver naturally) and after seeing my son struggle to latch on I asked to FF. For me it was 100% the right decision, if my child even has a slight temp I stress myself out completely so worrying about whether he was getting enough colustrum or milk in those crucial early days would have been more than I could have dealt with.

Some might say it was an easy decision but it was the right one for me and my husband - who by the way describes those early feeds with LO as the best experiences of his life.

We all know the benefits but my child is happy, my husband is happy and I'm happy

I didn't choose FF, FF chose me -- or combo feeding to be more exact.
I was feeding him non stop, taking every supplement, eating every known galactagog and at 3 months my son had completely fallen off the charts weighing only about 8lbs and his head circumference and length were starting to drop percentiles as well from his not getting enough milk. He also starting having green diarrhea because there wasn't enough food in his digestive tract. I was pumping whenever I could, but apparently my body doesn't like pumps, so I could only get about 1 oz in an hour.
I'd exhausted my options for exclusively breast feeding and I couldn't let him starve, so I supplemented with formula. He gained a full pound that first week of combo feeding. I feel bad that I couldn't exclusively BF feed him, but I don't feel bad about giving him formula. As far as I'm concerned, having it available saved his life.

Sorry to interrupt your little debate but I thought I'd answer the original question which was, I believe, why did you choose to FF.

I was very lucky in that I never had any issues with LO latching on or feeding, and never had sore nipples or anything like that. I breastfed within an hour of birth and continued to do so for 8 weeks, whilst also giving one bottle a day so DH could help out with feeding as well.

I CHOOSE to FF because I found myself feeding pretty much all day every day. I am a slight control freak, and found that not knowing how much (or little) LO was getting was a real problem. Anytime he cried, I could never totally rule out hunger so ended up offering the boob again just in case he was hungry.

As I was offering one bottle a day as well, I could see the difference in how long he went after a FF compared to a BF. I don't know whether it was supply issues or whether he just took more from the bottle, but he happily went 3 hours after a bottle but only 1.5 to 2 after a BF.

I also didn't like BFing in public. I did it of course, as you can't always avoid it but I never liked doing it. Particulary as my DH plays cricket and football, so I always had to do it in front of all his guy friends which gave them endless amusement.

From a purely selfish point of view, I realised that FFing generally gave me a lot more freedom as I wasn't tied to my LO 24 hours a day. Obviously I love my little boy to death, but I do have other interests in my life and I believe a happy mum = happy baby.

So, to sum up, basically I CHOOSE to FF because it suited both my LO and myself. When I switched to just FFing he ate better, slept better and I loved being able to know exactly how much he was eating. I am obviously aware of the benefits associated with BFing, but I think EBFing my LO would have driven me insane and cannot see how that is better for him than FFing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->