Ftm bassinet bedding??

TTC Baby M

Reaction score
Ok probably a pretty silly thing to get stuck on but I'm having trouble figuring out what bedding to use in our bubs bassinet! I will dress him/her in a singlet suit then long sleeve suit then wrapped in a cotton wrap but unsure what kind of blanket to tuck in over the top? It's winter where I am and quite cold that said, we have ducted heating. I like the look of bubba blue Sherpa dot blankets but unsure if they are safe as they are cotton/polyester blend. Any suggestions/recommendations? I'm probably just being ridiculous lol but being a first timer I want to get it right :)

I'd just use cotton cellular blankets - if your house is centrally heated then 1-2 layers on top of the clothes plus wrap would be plenty, I guess it depends how warm you keep your rooms. Babies are better off being a bit cold than a bit hot. Mine is due in winter too (in oz), but we don't have any heating so I might use a wool blanket. I'm not sure if polyester is a problem but my gut is to go with something breathable eg cotton or wool and full of holes, especially when inside the house.

The hospital that I am having my baby at uses a cellular blanket on top of the wrap. The cellular blanket has little holes in it. They tuck it under the mattress. I figured I would use the same.

ok thank you both, that is kind of what I was originally leaning toward just wasn't sure if it would be warm enough but think I might buy one just incase :)

We were told to use no blankets. Suffocation hazard. Instead to use swaddles. So I have a bunch of those.

I thought you werent supposed to use blankets on baby until they get older .. Just sleep sacks or swaddle

I'm not sure? I was thinking of swaddling then tightly wrapping a blanket from around the waist area down? Would just swaddling them in a wrap be warm enough?

I'm not sure? I was thinking of swaddling then tightly wrapping a blanket from around the waist area down? Would just swaddling them in a wrap be warm enough?

I would think so. I'm pretty sure blankets are not recommended until they're a certain age. The insert that came with our crib bedding said no blankets or anything soft like blankets, sheets & stuffed animals until a certain age, i just can't remember the age

Hmm will ask at our antenatal class tonight and see what they say :) just thought it was ok seeing as there's heaps of "bassinet blankets" for sale.

You'll def be able to use them when baby gets a little older so might as will stock up on them while they're on sale! :)

My midwife/hospital will not allow swaddling and say not to at home as the baby is not able to cool itself down if it gets too hot and like a pp said, it is better for a baby to be slightly cool than too hot!
Loose blankets shouldn't be used but, like you said, if you are tucking it into the mattress that is fine as long as the top of it is no higher than babys nipples (with arms over the top).
Gro-bags can be used from around 8-9lb too - these ones are reccomended by the lullaby trust (was FSID)
https://gro.co.uk/grobag-baby-sleep-bags
Breathable fabrics like cotton are ideal, like the cellular blankets
My son died from sudden infant death (not because of bedding) but has made me hugely paranoid and worried about it all so have researched a lot!

Hmm will ask at our antenatal class tonight and see what they say :) just thought it was ok seeing as there's heaps of "bassinet blankets" for sale.

Could you let me know what they say at your class. At my class they did a demonstration of wrapping the baby and then using one blanket tightly tucked under below the armpit level. I'm in oz too!

The class didn't touch on it last night so im still clueless sorry lol! They just showed us how to wrap bub and said that this is recommended for sleep but didn't say anything about adding additional bedding. But I have asked one of my friends and she said same as what you were taught funinthesun, but she said instead of buying a special blanket for on top a wrap did just as good a job tucked in the sides like you said!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->