FTM breastfeeding / pumping help needed

klrh

Reaction score
I'm 3 days post pardum and my son has tore my nipples apart. Have scabs on both nipples and it hurts to breastfeed and pump. I did breast feed him and pump the other breast
3 times today as my milk came in mid morning. Tried to pump tonight and my breast hurt so bad.I'm very scared that if I don't force my way threw the pain my milk won't come in. By him not feeding off the breast or me pumping while I let my nipples heel for a half a day or so will I dry up. I'm in treats as this something important to me. Please help.

Do you have any breastfeeding groups near you or can you phone a midwife for help and advice? Your cracked and bleeding nipples could be down to a poor latch so it's definitely worth having that checked. I found lansinoh (medical lanolin) a life saver for cracked nipples. It's soothing and doesn't need to be washed off before you feed your baby x

:hugs:

You don't need to be pumping in addition to nursing 3 days PP unless you are supplementing. Is there a reason you were pumping?

To help heal your nipples, lanolin and lots of air, and let milk dry on them -- don't wash them.

And, I agree with PP. Soreness is normal but the skin breaking is a sign that something may be wrong. I would seek lactation support in person ASAP if BF is important to you.

Good luck :hugs:

I agree with pps. Something sounds not right with your lo's latch. Your best bet is to find an IBCLC and correct the latch if you want the pain to go away. I found pumping to really exacerbate the pain in the beginning. It's just not going to be as gentle on wounded nipples as a baby with a correct latch will be. Please also youtube hand expression videos. You won't even have to touch the nipples themselves to hand express correctly- just the aureola region. There are probably better ones, but this is a decent one to start with:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkSQeompjOA

Have you tried using nipple shields? The best ones to use are the ones made by Medela although all big brands sell them like Avent, Pigeon and Tommee Tippee. They are these thin silicone shields that fit over your nipples and protect your nipples. My baby fed off of them for 2 months!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->