Full Fat Milk

Fossey

Mummy to Larissa
Reaction score
I know we are supposed to use Full fat milk for babies, but my question is this. IF I was doing cooking for the whole family say I don't know mash or cheese sauce and I used Semi Skimmed milk and gave her a bit of this food, will it matter. I know it is so they get the full fat contents etc but we dont use full fat milk and if i got her some it would be used rarely and go off. I want to give her what we are eating (in moderation no we dont use salt) So I want to know if it will hurt. She gets plenty of fat elsewhere and calcium is the same in both apparently although she has other dairy , cheese yoghurts etc so isn't missing out on calcium.

Your thoughts would be great. Oh same goes for butter too, low fat butter we use. and the amount she'd have will be minuscule, if i put it on toast etc so cant see how it will make a massive difference, but I would like advice.

Thanks!

hey ive had this dilemma too, last night made a lasagne and made it with full fat milk and her unsalted butter.. normally i would make it with semi skimmed milk and our butter, but thought as the milk was due to go off i would use that and her unsalted butter is cheaper than our benecol spread! so shes having her first taste of my homemade lasagne today for lunch! i hope she likes it :)
she has had the odd bit of our lower fat stuff if ive run out etc.. im sure it wouldnt hurt every now and then.. especially if its in cooking?

Tom's abit older but we give him semi skimmed milk now and then and he's been ok with it :)

It's ok when you are cooking with it, I've always done it, asked the pedi and they said it was fine, just to be sure what they are drinking is full fat, cheese is full fat and yogurt too :)

I used skim milk a lot when cooking foods (some of which Hannah ate) before she turned one. Once she switched over we just started buying the full fat milk instead of skim

It won't hurt them having skimmed or semi skimmed mixed in food but ideally they should be eating full fat as they need the calories and the fat soluble vitamins in full fat milk/spread/cheese etc that's the issue babe....won't do them any harm but try and add the higher calorie stuff to theirs, you can probably add a bit more fat milk to baby's food to slacken it slightly once in baby's bowl. I know my lot gagged badly at mash unless I mixed tonnes of milk into it:wacko:

Yeah I'll get her full fat cheese spread and she has full fat yoghurt as I make that myself and same with cheese, it was just milk and butter was really wondering about as she'd have such a small amount as Im trying to give her what we have as much as possible. I may just get her normal butter actually as it'll keep, but the milk obv doesn't and atm im making very few things with milk. What do you guys actually make with milk apart from sauces and mixing with mash and eggs?

Custard, rice pud, cereal, quiches and I always have small tubs of cheese sauce that I've made and then frozen as they're a great standby food to mix with pasta or add to chicken and fish etc....more things than I thought:wacko:

I didn't think about freezing cheese sauce lol. And quiche is a good idea she loves egg. Can we use normal pudding rice for rice pudding or does it need to be baby rice? Can you tell im a complete twit?

I didn't think about freezing cheese sauce lol. And quiche is a good idea she loves egg. Can we use normal pudding rice for rice pudding or does it need to be baby rice? Can you tell im a complete twit?

Normal pudding rice....if it's too textured still you can whizz it up in a blender or with a hand whisk:winkwink:

You're not a twit....how are you gonna know unless you ask? :hugs:

We've all been there, I'm onto baby number 4 now so am getting a bit old hand at this now haha. Hope I'm helping:kiss:

Thanks gonna give it a whirl later I think!

Thanks gonna give it a whirl later I think! Totally supportive thank you so much! Ooops posted that twice sorry

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->