Full term baby weighing less than 6lb

Gemz

Mummy of 2
Reaction score
Has anyone else had a baby at full term or overdue weighing less than 6lb?

Did the doctors/midwife predict a small baby? Were they concerned?

How much weight have they put on? Did they catch up with other babies? How long did it take?

Thanks x

Sorry hon, I didn't... but my 36 week baby was 5lb 13oz at birth. And they treated her as a full term. Obviously she would have been around 7 pounds if allowed to go full term. I had preclampsia so they induced me.

Within a month she was back on track. I did BF.

:hug:

Thanks Margerle

Is there no-one else???? :cry: It feels as if I'm forever reading posts on 'I'm having a growth scan/blood test because I'm having a small baby'. :hissy: Where are all these small babies??? Why are these people being offered growth scans???? What's the harm in having a small baby???

I just wanted to compare Isabelles growth rate with someone who doesn't say - 'my baby was never that small' - even though she's now 8lb 10oz!

Sorry if this sounds a bit ranty.

i was a week over and mine weighed 7lbs 2 1/2oz not really small but he was tiny to me x

I dont know but me, my older brother and my younger sister were all 5lb babies and we grew fine....sorry i couldnt help

My baby left the hospital at 6 lbs and he was diagnosed small for gestational age for being in the 10% and less. He was perfectly normal and was never behind, he already holds his head up and everything. They were worried about his temperature, we did have to monitor it until he was 7lbs because he didn't have much fat.

My baby left the hospital at 6 lbs and he was diagnosed small for gestational age for being in the 10% and less. He was perfectly normal and was never behind, he already holds his head up and everything. They were worried about his temperature, we did have to monitor it until he was 7lbs because he didn't have much fat.

Isabelle left hospital at 5lb 2oz but was never diagnosed small for gestational age even though she was 2 days overdue (not premeture). Infact the doctors or midwives have never been concerned about her - even during my pregnancy when I was measuring 2-4cms small. Because of this her weight has never bothered me..... until now! Yesterday I was searching for threads on weight gain, but struggled to find anyone who had had a full term baby weighing as little as Isabelle did. It made me feel a little sad. I really looked after myself during pregnancy - I never drank/smoked etc, yet I still had a low birth weight baby. My midwife said I grew her small - that's kind of cute - but why??? Anyway She's totally and utterly gorgeous - small but perfectly formed. She's now almost 7 weeks old and weighs 8lb 10oz which I think is pretty good :happydance: I guess I started this thread to see if there were any other mummys who grew small babies (full term) and to get their stories, weight gain etc... If not maybe someone could tell me if their babies were around the same weight at 6.5 weeks?

Sorry to keep going on. I have asked my HV but she's pretty vague.

Thanks x

Some people have small babies, especially if mom/dad is small. They normally don't make to big a deal of it unless there is a reason behind it. They might make a bigger deal about it in the U.S., I'm not sure. Connor was small because my placenta started aging early. He is doing great, today at the doctors we found out he has double his birth weight at 2 months, quite a chunky baby now ;) sounds like your babies weight gain is great!

Isabelle left hospital at 5lb 2oz but was never diagnosed small for gestational age even though she was 2 days overdue (not premeture). Infact the doctors or midwives have never been concerned about her - even during my pregnancy when I was measuring 2-4cms small. Because of this her weight has never bothered me..... until now! Yesterday I was searching for threads on weight gain, but struggled to find anyone who had had a full term baby weighing as little as Isabelle did. It made me feel a little sad. I really looked after myself during pregnancy - I never drank/smoked etc, yet I still had a low birth weight baby. My midwife said I grew her small - that's kind of cute - but why??? Anyway She's totally and utterly gorgeous - small but perfectly formed. She's now almost 7 weeks old and weighs 8lb 10oz which I think is pretty good :happydance: I guess I started this thread to see if there were any other mummys who grew small babies (full term) and to get their stories, weight gain etc... If not maybe someone could tell me if their babies were around the same weight at 6.5 weeks?

Sorry to keep going on. I have asked my HV but she's pretty vague.

Thanks x

Please don't be concerned - Some people are just not meant to have big babies! - Both my babies were under 7lb (6lb 9.5 and 6lb 10) but although the average birth weight is now 7lb 11 oz, I was never going to have big babies....I'm just not built for it lol Not to mension I was 4lb 7 oz at birth.
-You are doing a great job, thats a great weight gain! - My daughter (My second child) was 6lb 10 oz at birth (Full Term) and 9lb 12 at 6.5 weeks, so your LO's weight gain is actually more than my LO and no-one ever made me feel concerned. I think the fact that she was my second child made me worry less as I knew she was doing OK.

my friend was induced 2 wks overdue and her babs was only 5lbs 11 oz. I saw him yesterday, 11 weeks old, and he is a bruiser, he gulps alot of milk and hes certainly not lagging xxx

small babies tend to gain weight more quickly and steadily than babies who were quite big at birth. Mia was a very small baby 6 lbs 11 oz, left the hospital t 6lbs 6 oz and she is over 11 lbs now.

My lil one was born at 6lbs 12oz and discharged at 6lbs 4oz, not a big baby at all but she has a hearty appetite and is now almost 15lbs. I wouldn't worry at all hun. The docs would have told you if there was something major to be concerned about :)

Hi

I wonder if you could update on how your baby has since developed. As I too had a full term babe who is underweight (less than 5 pounds). She is 3 months old, developing relative to the grow chart but really just scrapping to get to 3rd percentile. I have conflicting messages as to whether she would catch up. As I was diagnosed with preclampsia 5 days after she was delivered by C section (after 100 hours of pre & labour). Leni is my second babe, the first was average and healthy despite me having sympthesis (? - loosening of hip bone before delivery).

Leni's mum

My baby was full term and weighed 6 lbs and 3 ozs. I had her at 38 weeks and 5 days. She now weighs 15.5 lbs but they said since me and my bf are small people (we both are short and skinny), that her weight is just fine

My cousin was born fullterm at just over 5 pounds, he is now 15 months and is 18.7 pounds which is very light. But he is happy, healthy and extremely active, his mother is Asian and petite and his father is long and lean.

I was just over 5 pounds at birth and I turned out ok, same with my brother who was just UNDER 5 pounds (both fullterm), he's over 6 foot tall and quite hefty now as an adult.

I was 40+2 and my LO was just a little over 6lbs. They did some gestational testings and lots of heel pricks and whatnot but she was okay.

My DD was 39 + 3 and she was born 5lb 2oz. All scans predicted a large baby so she was a bit of a shock, she did go to SCBU for a week but that was because she was born with no brown fat, was not feeding and swallowed some Meconium. All quite easily treated and if it was not foir the Meconium and non feeding she would of just been in a heated cot with me and monitored so do not worry yourself.

Small FT babies are normally fine, my DD is now nearly 2 and although still small ( 12- 18 month clothes) shes just as advanced as other kids her age and is growing like a weed.

ds1 (12 today) was born at 38 week weighing 4 llb - I had placenta problems that weren't picked up, infact I was told I was having a big baby. I only had the 2 normal scans.

dd1 born in feb - born at 39 weeks + 3 = weighing 6llb - I had TONNES of growth scans (due to son 1 IUGR and loosing my second son to PPROM so fluid levels had to be checked). I was told about 35 weeks they estimated her weight to be 6llb... so I thought she would be about 8 or 9 llb full term but she was 6llb. She is now 10 weeks on 9.9llb!

My 12 year old was not even on the centil chart for absolutely yonks he gained weight slowly. In year 6 he was the third smallest in his primary school class of 22 but when you look at him you wouldn't think him 'small' - he got every cough and cold going till he was 3 but has had no long term problems (that we know of ) from his IUGR.

HTH

Hi,

My oldest son was born at 42wks and weighed just over 5lbs (however it was discovered afterwards that I had suffered a partial placental abruption so he hadn't been receiving all the nutrients towards the end and was also in need of blood transfusions). He gained weight quickly though and was 'on track' for growth by around 3-4 months. He is now a happy healthy 3 yr old and is actually one of the tallest in his nursery class!! :)

I also just had my second little boy 2wks ago, and was scanned regularly throughout the pregnancy to keep an eye on my placenta and his growth... I was told at each scan that he would be pretty small as I must just 'grow small babies'. He was arrived at 39wks weighing 6lb 4oz! :)

Please try not to worry - I'm sure you're little one will be perfect! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->