Gas and air (nitrous oxide)??

I don't like the stuff, but appreciate having the nozzle to bite on....

I found it quite good - had it from about 5cm dilated. It was a good way of concentrating on your breathing with contractions but I didn't find it hugely effective for the pain. After a contraction I felt mildly drunk which might explain some of my very bad language and my declaration that I 'didn't care if I was naked' when I got too hot for a gown.:blush:

I liked it. It didn't provide me with pain relief as such, but more of a distraction. It gave me pins and needles in my hands though and at some points my hand seized up and I couldn't let go of the nozzle! It gave me a very dry mouth too.

I tried it with both my labours, but I didn't get far enough to even inhale any gas let alone get an effect from it lol. After 2 breaths with my first I threw it away - it was a mouthpiece style and it made a noise I didn't like, left my mouth feeling dry, and kept me from relaxing my jaw (open jaw open cervix as the saying goes). I birthed without pain relief (except for sterile water injections). My second birth labour progressed much faster and transition surprised me as a result and I asked for gas again cause I thought I had ages to go yet and needed help coping. I don't think I even took a breath cause I remembered not liking it before, but just asking made me feel in control again, and I got through naturally again. My third labour was a homebirth and nothing was available to ask for even if I wanted it.

I found it quite good - had it from about 5cm dilated. It was a good way of concentrating on your breathing with contractions but I didn't find it hugely effective for the pain. After a contraction I felt mildly drunk which might explain some of my very bad language and my declaration that I 'didn't care if I was naked' when I got too hot for a gown.:blush:

I think that's just labour lol. I didn't have anything and I laboured in the nude (and I'm a totally modest person who doesn't even like showing cleavage or exposing skin above my knees lol) and I kept declaring that I sounded like a dying goose.

LOVE the gas and air!! I wouldn't say it took away the pain, but i didn't care.

It didnt make me feel sick which I was SO grateful for because, as it turns out, I really needed that G&A!! I was hoping to go pain relief free but I don't think I could have done with out it.

Love gas and air!! Ive only ever had just that and I was so comfortable in labour! If only you could get the stuff on prescription 😘

I used gas and air in my last labor up until about 8cm, at that point the pain was getting more serious and holding the mask on my face was so difficult, I would start the contraction with it but throw it off my face before it was over, and then I just gave up on it.. I didn't feel as drunk as some say, or really pain relief...however the thought that I had something, anything, to help with the pain made everything more tolerable and let me relax until transition when "shit got real" :haha:

I would try it again.

Used both times from 5cm to pushing, where it was taken away both times so I had nothing for the last bit.

I like it, it is a welcome distraction from the pain. The pain is still excruciating but it makes you concentrate more on your breathing which does help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->