Gasping/Whooping - Is it reflux or apneas maybe?

inperfected

Mum to a 29 weeker
Reaction score
My boy is 3.5 weeks corrected. He's been home for 5.5 weeks. I have noticed today, that he whoops and gasps for air (doesn't have a cough) often when he's resting or sleeping. He's been doing it for a while, but only just noticed it as being something not normal.

Have any of your babies had it esp if they've had apneas or reflux? He's not on a apnea monitor, so I am probably going to try borrow one from the unit for a week to see if this is the issue or not.

It could be an apnea. It's normal for term baby's to have them too so aslong as there not lasting too long it's nothing to be worried about.

Not sure, but my little one (born 36 weeks) has done that too several times. It has reduced a lot in the last few days so I think he is growing out of it. It sounds awful, but he sleeps next to me so I keep an eye on him. It mostly seemed to happen when he was trying to eat. I had to give him a few bottles as he was getting too tired BF and he seemed to gulp and gasp.

I am interested to see other people's thoughts.

my son is still in the hospital and is a month old. He was born at 30 weeks. He does that too when he takes a bottle and the dr said it is from reflux which is causing him to have a brady. He is getting discharged tomorrow or Tuesday though. The dr said its not concerning when it happens with feeding and due to reflux. She said just pull the bottle out when he starts getting uncoordinated or gulps and to keep him upright in a straight sitting position when feeding him. The OT also told me to hold the bottle down a bit so the flow isnt so fast. All those tricks have helped reduce the bradys almost in half. He only has one or two a day now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->