Gay Parents shocked with no help.

ilvmyfamily

Reaction score
Hi,

I have lived in my Los Angeles rent controlled apartment for 15 years and never had a problem. I finally fell in love with an amazing woman and she has a two year old daughter. We decided to become a family and she moved in with me. The landlord was great until he found out we were together.
Our lives havent been the same since .The landlord sent an eviction notice and wanted to throw my 2 year old baby and my wife out during the holiday season.
Horrified I tried to find a competent and caring attorney for a UD case and civil case against the landlord,which is impossible I know in LA.
The lawyer we ended up with was incompetent and was afraid to go to trial stating the judge would not understand our family as we were a same sex couple and the judge would be against us.
Without our approval the lawyer agreed to a settlement and forced us to agree stating we would end up homeless if we didn't.
We wanted to save to buy a home and live in our current residence for another year as both of our credit scores are not great.
Now we are looking for a new place and have to pay triple the rent.
I'm just shocked that this is happening and there ia no where for us to turn.
The attorney charged triple the settlement after promising they would not charge more than a small percentage because they believed in our case lol.
Now with baby and wife in tow I have to find a home with a good school system and come up with a huge deposit.
It appears as though we are going backwards in America, how could this happen? The stress on my family is insane and the difficulty of finding a great place is hard. Yes we are looking in west hollywood as we live very close to that area. How did this happen? We are a great family that just wants to live our lives together. We have been so blessed to ind each other and even more blessed with an amazing and beautiful girl. What we need now is a home.. Who could have imagined in America, in 2013 we are still being treated as second class citizens. WOW

Wow, I am so sorry that you are going through this! That is absolutely ridiculous. I cannot believe that even the lawyer didn't help. We are near Chicago and whilst things aren't perfect (our neighbors are clearly homophobic and take it out on our dogs by yelling etc.) for the most part we feel supported. I wish we could help in any way- just know that you have our support from Illinois! BnB is a great forum, not many of us on here but support is plenty!

That's terrible! I'm so sorry that's happening to you. Have you tried finding a gay rights group with legal advise? I've heard that sometimes they'll do work pro bono if they think you have a good case.

wow. I know this is an old thread but that`s just outrageous. There MUST be a gay activist/rights group that can help you out. I know two lesbian couples and both have a great, supporting entourage. If someone tried that to them here (in Montreal) they`d be ripped to shreds...

Hope your situation improves... how awful :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenyawenya
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->