GBS+ first preg, GBS- this pregnancy ??

Inoue

Mummy to a little girl <3
Reaction score
Hi ladies. I was gbs+ with DD so had to get to hospital early and have AB's placed before her birth. Out of pure curiosity, I paid to be tested again couple of days ago fully expecting me to be positive again, but I just got a msg saying that im gbs negative! Dont get me wrong, im over the moon as id like to labour at home for longer this time but does that mean I definitely dont need them AB's this time? :shrug:

Hopefully someone has some insight to subsequence pregnancies xx

That is a tough one.... I had GBS+ with DS1, then they did a screen at 38 weeks and I was GBS- BUT they did another swab when I went into labor and I was GBS+!! I asked what that was all about and they said that if you are one who tends to carry it, then it can pop up whenever. I asked why they even did the one at 38 weeks then if I had positive with DS1 and they said that because I was negative then - I would not need as strong of antibiotics when I had him and they wouldn't have to just give him antibiotics (other than in his eyes) routinely. Because of that, I am definatly not going to labor at home for very long with this one because I want them to be able to test and give meds if needed.

I was GBS positive with my first, GBS neg with my second. Had him naturally, no antibiotics, and he was perfectly healthy! GBS is something that comes and goes in your body, so you can have it with one pregnancy and not another.:thumbup:

From what I understand it can come and go. That's why drs like to test close to you being full term, because if they test early and it comes back - you arent safe until the end of your pregnancy. It could be positive a week later!

I was GBS+ with first DS. With DD, I was negative, but they gave me antibiotics because of my first pregnancy. Same with next DS. However, with last DS, I was negative and the doctor did not give me antibiotics. He said there is no reason to and DS would be fine. He was.

Thanks for your replies :flower:. Mixed responses on if the hospital still gives AB's even if you test negative. Would be fab if they could all work from one protocol! :haha:.

Im seeing midwife on Thursday so will ask her opinion - although when I mention gbs she looks at me like ive grown another head.

Xx

LOL - well, probably the different response has to do with location. In Washington State all hospitals follow the same protocol.... unless you have a midwife, then they don't have to follow the same protocol and some do and some don't :)
Would be nice if everywhere was the same but I don't think we could get all of the United States to agree on one set protocol, far less the world! :)

^^ lol. Yeh I am asking a bit much :haha:.

Will see what UK policy is, although I bet its different for every county! Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->