Gbs + :(

qpaulina42

Reaction score
So bummed. Also a little nervous - I can't have penicillin and -mycin related drugs so I wonder what they will give me. Bad enough I'll have to have IV now I also may have drug side effects during labor. Anyone have positive experiences?

You may still have time to get rid of it before labour. I was GBS+ and started taking a daily oral probiotic. I used this one: https://www.renewlife.com/ultimate-flora-vaginal-50-billion.html

And when I tested again I was negative so now I don't have to worry about it. There are also concentrated probiotic formulas that you insert vaginally before bed each night for 6 nights that are also said to work. Maybe you could try that and have them retest in a week.

I didnt have time to be tested for gbs last pregnancy, and recieved penicillan via an iv as baby came at 35+6! It wasnt awful at all, I just hate ivs!

I took a ton of probiotics and also vitamin C for two months before the test hoping it would come out negative. There is something wrong with the whole vaginal flora at the moment, to be honest... I'll look into the insertable kind though. Perhaps they might work?

I was GSB + in my last pregnancy and couldn't have penacillin either because I'm allergic, so they gave me something else, not exactly sure what it was, but because I had stated that I wanted an unmedicated birth, they gave me a walking IV. I didn't really feel any different with it, not drowsy, nor did it cause headaches, I just had the unfortunate experience of dragging the pole behind me wherever I walked, like to the bathroom, and needed help with it majority of the time.

does the iv stay in the whole time? I tried to ask some questions at the appointment today and they just rushed me out the door saying I shouldn't worry. I think they were running behind schedule but it irritates the heck out of me!

I hear probiotics can help you get a negative result!

Maybe you could request to be retested...?

I might be weird but I loved being gbs positive - I had a tough time at home with my first pregnancy, 8 hours of contractions and throwing up before they considered allowing me to go to hospital! This time, because of gbs I had to call as soon as labor started, so when I had period pains and 3 contractions, 8 mins apart I called them and they took me in, allowing me to labor with the pain relief at hospital and without any pressure. It may be different for me because I wanted an epidural anyway but all in all, I thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience 2nd time round and being gbs positive was a godsend for me!

the IV I had was through my hand, and since I got an epi with my last labor and birth, the IV stayed in the whole time since I wasn't going anywhere anytime soon, so might as well keep it in I guess, but they administered the medication through IV every 4 hrs during my labor.

I just had my midwife appointment today and also asked about an IV as I was curious as well since I am planning an unmedicated birth this time, and she told me that they will give me the medication through an IV (if I have gbs+ this time, haven't yet been tested for it) so I would have to either sit and lay down for a few minutes while the medication is given, but after, they would unhook me so that I could move around freely again for another 4 hours until I would need another dose, so doesn't sound too bad. You may want to ask your midwife or OB about it in advance and discuss your options for the birth you are planning

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->