Gel cap prenatal vitamins for a vegan:/

tofuzombie

Reaction score
I called to make my first visit yesterday. The dr asked a few questions and said she would leave a script for blood work and vitaminsat front desk
She asked if i have any preference for vitamins and i said just no gel caps because im vegetarian (most pplget confused when i say vegan so i just say vegetarian)
She said ok
Today i pick up my script and vitamins
A whole bag of prenatal gell cap vitamins
What do i even do with this? Im frustrated because i just feel like im having a bad experience in general at this doctors office. When i called the nurses line the nurse took twenty minutes to tell me how unlikely my positive result was....like yes....that was then this is now can we move on???
Anyway
I have folic acid and ive read that unless a dr specifically reccomends to take a vitamin it really isnt necessary...

Update: i gave them back saying i dont consume geletin bc im a vegetarian
After a lot of annoyance on their part they came back to tell me they dont know of any prenatal vitamins without geletin
Am i the first ever pregnant woman who is a vegetarian? Have there been no jewish or muslim pregnant women?
Just feel frustrated

I'm in the uk, so probs different but mine have no gelatine! I take NHS 'healthy start' pregnancy vitamins. They are hard tablets not capsules!

I was taking seven seas pregnancy vitamins (multivitamin) but I found I couldn't swallow them with morning sickness. My midwife said folic acid was the only thing you have to take, plus vitamin D3 is recommended in the U.K. due to our lack of sunshine! Everything else you can get from your diet. Multivitamin is optional.

Sounds like your doctor is being quite difficult! It's not unusual to be vegetarian! Keep up the folic acid and maybe look at sourcing your own multivitamin!

I found the rainbow light vitamins at CVS. Thanks so much!

They were only $12, cheaper than the CVS brand!

And they have ginger- helpful for nausea :]

Folic is the most important, yes. If you live north, D3 too. As a vegan though, you may want to add B12 and iron. Getting enough iron during pregnancy is a challenge even for meat-eaters, and absorption is much easier through meat sources. (Next time you're at your doc you might want to request info about your ferritin levels too, so you know how much you have to spare)

I second the rainbow light prenatal. I'm not vegan or vegetarian, but I take them with all my pregnancies since they are made from food and not engineered in a lab. So much better for you and absorbs better since it's from real food. And yes you can take them as a vegan.

You found ones you like, but just in case you were still wondering, vegi-caps are vegetarian and they're used in lots of good quality vitamins. You just have to hunt for them and read the labels. Solgar uses them in many of their products, though Solgar prenatal vitamins aren't capsules, they're tablets anyway. That's what I used last time and also will use again this time and they're excellent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->