Gender scan accuracy at 16 weeks?

campn

Reaction score
I'm going for a private gender scan next week at 16+1 and I wanted to hear stories of how accurate yours was around this time?

With DS I was told he was a GIRL at 16 weeks only to be told it's in fact a boy at my 20 week anatomy scan (after painting the nursery and buying clothes) so I'm going into this scan with a bit of fear. It's at a completely new place though and I'm not only going for the gender part but because I want the 3/4D scan.

Thank you!

We had a blood test and knew by DNA our daughter was a girl by 11 weeks. But we had an elective 3d ultrasound at 15 weeks and it was very clear.

No offense, but if I got the wrong result last time at 16 weeks I certainly wouldn't get another one at 16 weeks. I would wait.

We had a blood test and knew by DNA our daughter was a girl by 11 weeks. But we had an elective 3d ultrasound at 15 weeks and it was very clear.

Thank you! Congrats your girl is beautiful!

I was told with DS at 15+5, and with this one 16w exactly. Both were confirmed at 20w scan.

But as PP said if you had it wrong at 16w before, I'd be cautious. Don't buy anything until you have it confirmed at 20 weeks this time.

Good luck xx

Flann- Yeah I don't plan on buying anything right after the scan. This time I know what to look for too, so not just taking their words for it.

Flann- Yeah I don't plan on buying anything right after the scan. This time I know what to look for too, so not just taking their words for it.

I'm sure it'll be fine this time :) lots of people have their gender scans at about 15/16 weeks and they're accurate. The ultrasound tech probably just wasn't overly experienced. Xx

I'm sure it'll be fine this time :) lots of people have their gender scans at about 15/16 weeks and they're accurate. The ultrasound tech probably just wasn't overly experienced. Xx

Hehe very true! Thank you! You're due next month!? Hope you're feeling great!

I never had one with my first baby until my 20 week scan. I had one with my son at 16 weeks and it was accurate. I had one at 14 weeks with this baby and it was accurate(girl!) but I did wait to buy things until we had two consecutive ultrasounds that agreed lol

I never had one with my first baby until my 20 week scan. I had one with my son at 16 weeks and it was accurate. I had one at 14 weeks with this baby and it was accurate(girl!) but I did wait to buy things until we had two consecutive ultrasounds that agreed lol

That's smart! I wish I didn't go ahead and buy things but I was probably just naive and overly excited. You live and learn!

I was told at 16 weeks I was having a girl and went pink shopping like crazy then had a panic in case they were wrong lol

But my 20 week scan showed it was indeed a girl and they were right

If babies in a good position a 16 week scan should be accurate

X

Usually they are pretty accurate as long as the tech is experienced and baby is in a good position. We was told boy at 15 weeks and 3 days and have had it confirmed at both 19 weeks and 23 weeks. Good luck :)

I have one booked for when I'm 16+5 and I'm sure t a pretty accurate.
I'll buy bits and bobs but won't decorate babies room till 20 weeks

We have been told girl at 16 weeks and haven't had it confirmed, we had the 20 week scan but it took so long to get all the other measurements we didn't ask them to double check the sex (oops) I have since recommended my friend to the same scan place and she was very unimpressed with the gender scan :/ she said they couldn't tell and were very vague; saying things like "well we can't see any boy bits for certain" Which has made me a bit nervous tbh :/ Although i'm not sure if that is more to do with her, she went in very much wanting a boy(4girls already) and i think in order to spare her feelings they phrased it delicately and she has come away basically telling everyone it was rubbish and she is waiting on the 20 week scan...

i'm having a 4d scan in a few weeks so i will have them double check then i think hahha

We had a gender scan at 16 weeks which said it was a girl. NHS scan at 20 weeks thought it could well be a boy. 25 week 4d scan confirmed it was definitely a girl!

So I'd say it's accurate but probably depends of the quality of equipment used and the skills of the sonographer!

I paid for a private at 16 weeks and was told a girl, which was confirmed at my anatomy scan on Tuesday :) I think it depends on the tech, an experienced tech should be able to tell you accurately. And my baby's cord was in the way of showing us what she was too ! But the tech checked a million times at 16 weeks before she felt comfortable saying yup she's a girl !

Thank you ladies! All the helpful feedback is greatly appreciated! I've a good feeling about the place I'm going to, it's supposed to be one of the best in my state, so Yay!

Think we were 15+5 with alice and she was clearly girl.
I do find when they switch to 4d at this gestation a bit freAky cos they have no fat on them lol x

I found out at 14 weeks with my girls and I have an appointment for 14 weeks with this one ;)

Oooh I'm a bit worried now!

I had a scat at my gynaecologist at 17+1 and was told it's a girl. I actually asked to see the sex of the baby myself rather than her tell me but it flashed up quite briefly so I wasn't able to get a good look. I didn't see boy parts OR the three white lines of a girl, so I asked her and she said it's a girl. I was shocked because I was convinced it was a boy.

I had my anatomy scan yesterday at 21+3 and the technician was really miserable. Took all the measurements without letting me look at the screen and wouldn't let me speak either, then when it was over, he turned the screen to me and quickly pointed out the head, arms and feet and that was it. I asked what was the sex and he said that he didn't see anything between the legs, but if there would be something, it would be a boy. In other words, he thinks it's a girl but didn't want to commit!

Now I'm worried because I had been secretly hoping for a girl but had been convinced it was a boy from day 1. I do not think that girl parts were positively identified in either of the scans I had, but rather that the technicians did not see boy parts :wacko:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->