Gender Scan

jessesgirl416

Reaction score
I had my gender scan done at 15w 5 days. I was told it was a girl, we double checked with the lady, she said she hasn't ever been wrong in 30 years and if she is she gets to retire. I just wanted to know how often is it that they get the gender wrong. I've just already had stuff bought for our little girl that is personalized and in my head I've dreaded the thought of going back and being told something different! We want a healthy baby but just want to make sure that we were told correctly.

There is always a chance it could be wrong as it involves human judgement but most sonographer won't say unless they are very confident. Also they do this all day every day so for the most part they are right. We had a gender scan on Saturday at 16 weeks and were told boy very confidently but I will still ask at my 20 week scan to get a second opinion.

Can you go in a for another u/s or get a second opinion? I have heard of them being wrong, but it is rare. I have a gender u/s Friday at 16+1 and I will be sure to ask how SURE they are! :) It sounds like your u/s tech was pretty confident, so I wouldn't be too concerned.

usually the tech won't say what it is if they aren't confident or if they are only fairly confident they normally ask you to come back for a re scan. I would say if your tech was confident then they are probably correct. I had a 16+3 gender scan which showed girl and my tech was very confident so I bought the pink. At 20 week scan she was still a girl. If your not that confident in it you can always do a private scan and have it double checked.

I was told at 14 weeks 2 days i was having a boy. Going back in 5 days for my next nhs scan and hope to get it confirmed. Ive been tempted to buy bits but have only got unisex bibs hats and sleepsuits and will hopefully buy blue next week. The private scanning doctor was extremely confident and wrote boy on the photo. But will see!! X

I wouldn't personally be confident in a scan that early.
It's probably right but I'd wait for a second scan around 20 weeks before announcing it.

If the tech was that confident and experienced, I'd guess that it's a 98% chance she's right. You always have to leave a little room for human error.

Did she print a potty shot?

I wouldn't personally be confident in a scan that early.
It's probably right but I'd wait for a second scan around 20 weeks before announcing it.

I agree with this. I think anything before about 17 weeks I would take as a strong indication but wouldn't tell people/buy anything until I'd had a second opinion a bit later on. I realise they can always potentially make mistakes at any point, but it's likelier the earlier you are.

I was told at my 12 week scan with DS3 that she was 60% confident he was a boy. She confirmed at 30 weeks but only because we couldn't get enough of a decent view at 20 weeks because he wouldn't stay still. We asked at my last scan for baby #4 recently what she thinks and she's 60% sure we have a girl. They are actually not allowed to give you 100% as they can and do on occasion, get it wrong. A friend of mine actually had the radiology lab tell her with her first baby that she was 100% sure she having a girl and she had a boy. How you can mistaken a penis for a vagina is beyond me. :shrug:

I don't think I would be confident until a later scan, just to double check, it's likely they are right I'm sure.

Saying that a friend of mine had 4 scans throughout pregnancy, all told her it was a boy, out popped a little girl! Turns out she had the cord stuck between her legs and it looked like a little willie! She had everything blue and it took her a while to get her round it! Having said that's it's retry rare I think, I've never heard of anyone else being wrong x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->