General Election

Agree wholeheartedly with 90% of the main policies in the Conservative manifesto (that's exactly why I voted for them), the only ones that didn't sit right with me were the fox hunting ban (although not directly linked to that culture so personally unaffected and I don't hold animals in a high rank like some people do but still a bit uneasy with that) and requiring immigrants to be fluent in English, plenty of jobs can be done without that skill and those willing to work will pick up language that they'd need. Other than that, everything sounds good to me. Not to mention the increases in income tax threshold year on year.

I've never read the manifesto. I believe labour most closely relates to my attitude on life and how I see the country being. I don't like a lot of what I've read there, it feels very controlling and like big brother is watching me. How is it sensible to squeeze pennies from the poor rather than pounds from the rich. I also hate the way they word things... You're trying to make it sound good but I can see read between the lines! Each to their own, it's not for me and reading that makes me happy I went the way I did

I've never read the manifesto. I believe labour most closely relates to my attitude on life and how I see the country being. I don't like a lot of what I've read there, it feels very controlling and like big brother is watching me. How is it sensible to squeeze pennies from the poor rather than pounds from the rich. I also hate the way they word things... You're trying to make it sound good but I can see read between the lines! Each to their own, it's not for me and reading that makes me happy I went the way I did

I agree I find some parts of it unsettling.

I particularly find the HUman Rights bit unsettling. I did it as a law module whilst doing my degree and I loved it. I feel that its simply not liked because its Europe rather than anything else and the interpretation of it rather than what is says. Exactly how a British Bill of Rights would be different I dont know (and the Supreme Court could be just as liberal as the ECHR!)

As for the EU referendum I dont know. The out of Europe campaign needs to tell me exactly how it is going to work as so many businesses (including the ones me and OH work for) have offices in mainland Europe and how it would work if we left is very important. I think the immigration issue is so much at the forefront how trade and free movement is not mentioned, how would business work. I am not saying it wouldnt it just needs to be addressed.

Free schools as well that dont require teachers to have teaching qualifications is another thing that does not sit well with me.

I guess I am more to the centre that I used to be but I do worry that this Government is going to swing far to much to the right for me (particularly looking at this manifesto) and that is too far right for me! (Particularly given what is at the far right end of the spectrum!)

What does everyone think of these? I know it's Buzzfeed but taken from manifesto so still credible. https://www.buzzfeed.com/tomchivers/manifesto-destiny

It sounds like a good basis for a novel set in a Dystopian future...

I do not agree with Fox hunting but what scares me the most is Education. It does not seem to be best for children but more like 'how can we get adults working longer' and sadly, our next generation who should be protected will take the brunt. Roll on the next election though themail state the country will be in is a worry.

I just heard that they're planning on making the school day 9 hours long and reducing holiday time. That's horrible! They say its to ease the burden of childcare on working parents but a better idea would be to make childcare more affordable! Idiots.

I just heard that they're planning on making the school day 9 hours long and reducing holiday time. That's horrible! They say its to ease the burden of childcare on working parents but a better idea would be to make childcare more affordable! Idiots.

Omg! I hope it will be so unpopular they won't be able to get away it. Terrible idea

Omg! I hope it will be so unpopular they won't be able to get away it. Terrible idea

I hope so as I can't imagine how much the rates of anxiety and depression in children and teenagers will increase if they do that.

I keep seeing the threat again of longer school hours. Apparently they are putting forward this policy and if it goes ahead will affect children betwern 5-18 in 2 years.....I cannot fathom sending my children to school for a longer day then my oh works!
I really hope this doesn't go any further

Where did you read that Natsku? I can see it was discussed in January 2014 in the press but can't find any recent articles on it? As it goes I agree with shortening the amount of school holidays, I remember as a kid being bored stiff after week 2 of the summer holidays. I think such a long break also interrupts the flow of education. It is a huge expense for parents having to arrange alternative childcare too and working in recruitment I know it is a real struggle for parents to balance the amount of holidays children get.

I don't agree with lengthening the school day though - parents who choose to work full time can make easy affordable provisions of after school clubs.

In terms of the Conservative manifesto I'm am incredibly worried about the implications of the EU referendum after all the BS that has been fed to people by the likes of UKIP. We make more from the EU than we put in. People currently think immigrants are stealing their jobs - being in the EU creates jobs!! It will be a disaster if we leave.

As it goes I also don't believe in the current limits on net migration outside the UK. I do a lot of graduate recruitment and 5 years ago I was placing some of the brightest academics in the world on post-study-work visas which could then turn into a Tier 1 general. That option is no longer open, and so many of the SME's who I deal with don't have the resources or huge HR departments to set themselves up for sponsorship, so we're training some of the brightest minds in the world our premier Universities (who in the future could add untold amounts to the economy) and then evicting them. The old Tier 1 system used to work well but because of EU migration the Government wanted to look like they were doing something about migration, so they decided to stick a plaster on their forehead when the gaping wound was on their leg. Craziness.

I strongly disagree with fox hunting too.

I haven't read enough about switching the human rights to the British Bill of rights to comment as yet x

Even as a Tory voter....with an option of an In/Out referendum on Europe....I'm in definitely!

It came up on my facebook, can't remember what date the article was from though.

Crickey so we are talking something like 8:30-5:30 :nope:

I read 8:30-6 apparebtly this is in the sun.. I dont tend to buy that brand of loo roll so can't verify and you have to pay to read online x

9 hours a day would be brilliant for childcare :p I think it's been shelved, it was something discussed in January 2014 and has only resurfaced in light of the win by people panicking, there's a lot of misinformation out there ATM, like that photo of Moët champagne being delivered to 10 Downing Street trying to make the Tories look indulgent when it was actually delivered in 2004 when Labour were in.

Making kids go to school longer for better childcare is a terrible idea :( putting welfare last :(

Lucky it's not likely to happen x

No it's very very very unlikely to happen (I'd say...impossible actually!) and has been dragged up by people looking for scaremongering stories. Ridiculous, isn't even worth a second thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->