Genuinely overweight people and the gym?

S

Serene123

I know everyone in this section thinks they're tubby, but I'm talking 190lb+ people.... Do you feel uncomfortable? I'm scared to go!

Not at all - the gym i used to go to was fairly quiet but people just let you get on with it. You tend to find the really fit ones are actually in awe of the people who are making the effort :)

I still feel so self-conscious. I wish I could take Caitlyn with me. Whenever she's with me I lose all self-consciousness..

I dnt feel embarrassed about going. Im just so tired with working 6/7 days a wk i never manage to find the get up and go... lol. Me and dh are joining the gym in Jan tho so i will force myself to find the time as weight loss really speeds up and u tone as u lose :)

xxx

without sounding patronising, but I really admire the people who are overweight who go to the gym as they are making a hell of an effort, like Vici says. I wish I had the confidence when I was a size 18 to go, and I want to tell them they kick ass for even making it through the door without chickening out like I would have done :blush: Is there not anyone who you can go with? Maybe when you start going you can find a gym buddy who you can pair up with and motivate each other.
:flower:

Nope no one I can go with I don't know anyone around here well enough....

I know I need to go I think I just need to get down to a size 14 before I feel comfortable :( I know everyone would just be thinking why is she wasting her time??

what about joining a class at the gym? Honestly from all the classes I've gone to you really get a range of body types. And I never felt looked down on

Here's my piece as an athlete gym nut... I have nothing but admiration for overweight people rockin' in the gym. It's not where you are at but where you are going. I hang out in a place that few girls do, the squat racks in the regular weights section, and believe me - most of those guys just sit around and use their damn phone without really lifting. When I see a bigger girl going like a madwoman on the treadmill etc, I am very impressed!

Have you shopped around for gyms? Mine has a daycare + a "nanny cam" so I can watch LO while I workout. The nanny cam is upstairs in the women's section, so I just run up there and check on him

I'm 189lbs and there's no way I'll go to a gym! I admire overweight people that can go, I wish I was one of them. I think I'm gonna have to be at my goal weight before I even think about it.

Unless I'm going swimming.. then I might be able to go!

years ago i was so scared of going i just got a dvd to do at home till i lost some weight , then i joined the gym it was fantastic

this time last yr i joined a gym for a yr with a mate which was a big mistake cos i just felt so out of place, half the time she was going on different days etc i havent been since april ,thank god the subscriptions ran out :wacko: i defo need to do something , and yes there is larger ladies/men that go , no one will think anything im sure , but i just couldnt keep it up going on my own :blush:

im thinking of wot i can do after xmas cos i defo need to lose a stone and half at least xx

I am heavier then that and until recently I was going to the gym 3-4 times a week. Everyone there is just in their own world doing their own thing.

When I saw people there that were bigger than me then all I thought was 'nice one for doing something about it'.

I stopped going as I started to get bored. My knee has been causing me trouble and the only thing I could to was walk on the treadmill!! I'm going to start swimming soon as that will take the pressure off my knee until I've lost a chunk of weight then I'll get back in the gym!

Ive never gone because my weight i was 240lb starting.

Im now 171lb just starting to feel like i can go.

I am in the weight bracket you're talking about and I have been going to the gym for years! (maybe its not working haha), I dont feel self conscious at all, most people in there are just getting on with their own workouts and getting it over and done with :) go for it, and good luck!

most of those guys just sit around and use their damn phone without really lifting. When I see a bigger girl going like a madwoman on the treadmill etc, I am very impressed!

OMG, that is soooo true!! I remember being on the treadmill (was at about 15 mins) and a guy who looked REALLY fit came on to warm up. He did 5 mins and was exhausted. He then spent about 1 hr doing weights at about 5 reps every 10 mins!! He finished and I was still on the treadmill!! I am about 230lbs!!

ahhhh see i really need to move closer! i wanted a gym buddy had no one to go with im not confident enough to go by myself :blush: like 1 of the ladies have said why not do a dvd or just stick with the wii n swimming a bit longer...obviously its working for you.x x

I know this is an older thread, but I just wanted to say that when I go to the gym, it's the bigger people that inspire me most.

I have so much respect for them! I'm currently about 270, and honestly, I'm always the biggest girl there. So I find the next biggest girl and have a secret competition in my head with her - to be the one who doesn't drop out, quit going, etc.

People who have awesome bodies from working out in the gym know that it takes a lot of hard work and dedication to get to where they are, and they are definitely more concerned with their own fitness than having negative thoughts about any one else.

Honestly, I feel more accepted in person, fat and all, than I do on here sometimes. No one's ever made fat jokes at me in the gym, but I've been insulted on here before. So, if you're big, don't let fear keep you away from the gym!!!!

I know this is an older thread, but I just wanted to say that when I go to the gym, it's the bigger people that inspire me most.

I have so much respect for them! I'm currently about 270, and honestly, I'm always the biggest girl there. So I find the next biggest girl and have a secret competition in my head with her - to be the one who doesn't drop out, quit going, etc.

People who have awesome bodies from working out in the gym know that it takes a lot of hard work and dedication to get to where they are, and they are definitely more concerned with their own fitness than having negative thoughts about any one else.

Honestly, I feel more accepted in person, fat and all, than I do on here sometimes. No one's ever made fat jokes at me in the gym, but I've been insulted on here before. So, if you're big, don't let fear keep you away from the gym!!!!

:growlmad: I don't get people!

Anyways good for you, I too am very inspired by seeing bigger people working out at the gym. I am far more inspired by a large girl pushing 100% on the treadmill than most at the gym.

I'd love to be one of those bigger girls that has finally got the confidence to walk into a gym by herself and just workout and not worry about what other people think!

I've never thought of myself as pretty or sexy or cute etc etc mainly for the fact i was always picked on for my weight even now with nearly 7 years being with OH i dont feel like that even when he says i do, Not all of us want to stay big i certainly dont i want kids i want to be healthy and i want to feel good about myself so well done to the ladies that have got the guts to go work their arses off in the gym!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->