German measles

MissSazra

Reaction score
Hi,

I had an email from my daughter's nursery today saying that they have a suspected case of German measles and other children with viral rashes.

My daughter is up to date with her injections and has had the mmr, but could there be any risk of her catching anything (and thus putting me at risk) if she goes in?

Obviously I don't want her catching anything either!

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks

I'm sorry I don't have any advice but wanted to stalk this thread. My ds has come out in a bad rash tonight and I'm worried it could be measels/ gm / chickenpox. Hoping its roseola as it's on his torso but will have to wait and see what the paed says. Did you have immunization when you were younger?

Hi,

I hope it turns out to be just a rash on your son and nothing more serious.

I had all the vaccines as a child but don't know if that means I'm still ok.

Thankfully she only goes to nursery once a week on a Friday so she won't have been exposed to anything yet anyway.

The MMR jab will cover your LOs and if you had the rubella jab in your teens then you'll be fine too. It's rare for people to catch german measles nowadays. The only ones at risk are those who haven't been vaccinated. xx

The only way to know for sure is to test your blood for immunity. Ask your doc.

As pp said, usually if you've been vaccinated there's no problem. You could ask your doctor to do a blood test to see if you have anything to worry about. When mine did the whole run through of all the blood work that was one of the things they tested for.

DS had to go for a GM blood test this morning. The doctor says its unlikely but because Im pregnant, she just wanted to be sure. Unfortunately he is only 12 months and we only get MMR at 15 months here so he hasn't been vaccinated yet. If the results show he has GM, I will have to go for a blood test too to see what my immunity is :(

If you have both been vaccinated, it is likely you are ok. Call your OB or your daughter's pediatrician for more information.

FWIW, in one of my unsuccessful pregnancies, my DS had HFMD. It was what it was, not much you can do if you have a sick baby but wash your hands a lot, limit contact best you can, and pray. It comes with mommyhood and has been going on since the beginning of time. I lost that pregnancy but not because of HFMD. I have bicorunate uterus, and if I implant on the wrong side, it will end in MC.

Thanks for all the replies. I ended up calling the midwife and she managed to check my immunity from my previous pregnancy and told me I'm ok.

However, I've just had another email tonight saying a member of staff now has it and they have phoned all pregnant parents as they are the ones most at risk of being affected.

I know the midwife has said I'm immune but I'm still worrying!

If you're immune you should be fine. Its really hard not to worry in situations like this but that's why we have the jabs.

I got my bloods back and I'm not immune to rubella (annoying as this came up in last pregnancy but then in later bloods said I was immune!?), so I've been told to be careful, but how careful can you be? I'm not going hibernate till January, especially with an almost 2 yr old!!

Edit: as a member of staff has it I might keep lo off (if possible) just to be cautious - although I'm not sure what the incubation time is?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->