Gestational Diabetes Birth Questions

My fasting level was just over the "cut off" (no matter what I did or didn't eat) and all other readings were below the limits and they put me on meds to control the fasting. They told me that aren't too concerned if you go over once or twice and are near the limit but if there is a constant pattern of being slightly high they are likely to act. I have appointments every 2 weeks (increasing to weekly nearer due date), so you will be well monitored!

Sounds like you are doing really well at the moment!

My fasting level was just over the "cut off" (no matter what I did or didn't eat) and all other readings were below the limits and they put me on meds to control the fasting. They told me that aren't too concerned if you go over once or twice and are near the limit but if there is a constant pattern of being slightly high they are likely to act. I have appointments every 2 weeks (increasing to weekly nearer due date), so you will be well monitored!

Sounds like you are doing really well at the moment!

Thanks, I'm back tomorrow for my app with the diabetes doctor so will see what they do about my fasting levels since I'm struggling with them.
Looking forward to my apps tomorrow, having a scan and back with obstetrician and diabetes team so will be glad for more info and a plan of action. :thumbup:

I was diagnosed at 28 weeks as well, but so far am managing to stay controlled by diet (now 35 weeks)

At first I was a bit up in the air with no real info as to what was gonna happen with the birth, but I think half of that was cos THEY couldn't tell me until they had a better picture of how I'm doing! At 32 weeks I had a scan and by then had been controlling my glucose levels by diet for 4 weeks, so THEN I got answers from my ob; as long as I continued fine, and baby continued to measure fine, then there is no reason I can't have a normal pregnancy and birth. Which for me was a huge deal; it means I can stay at my local birthing centre (3 mins walk from my mums back door!) Rather than having to drive 1.5 hours to the closest hospital!!!

If I have to go on to medication/insulin then I will have to go the long drive to the hospital. I imagine if my blood sugars go really crazy, despite medication/insulin, then they'd be pushing for an induction or something sooner than if it was maintained OK, but I haven't enquired about those details!

The issue seems to be more about the control; if your blood sugars are under good control, either by diet or with the help of medication/insulin, then they let you go further. Here anyway!! If you are struggling to control your levels then it becomes safer for baby to be born a little early (38-39 weeks) than stay in there with wonky blood sugars.

I am just hoping I pop on time/a little early this time (last time I went way overdue) cos while I'm confident to stand up for myself and not be induced for sheer convenience/unfounded fears, I am not looking forward to fighting that battle with a GD pregnancy adding to the doctors harassing....! Come on baby, not long now! Lol.

There is a fantastic group on Facebook for GD mammas if you're on there; its very active and has a lot of help. Fasting numbers seem THE most common to cause issues in GD, and are almost impossible to really control by diet, so don't feel bad needing medication for them especially!!

I was diagnosed at 28 weeks as well, but so far am managing to stay controlled by diet (now 35 weeks)

At first I was a bit up in the air with no real info as to what was gonna happen with the birth, but I think half of that was cos THEY couldn't tell me until they had a better picture of how I'm doing! At 32 weeks I had a scan and by then had been controlling my glucose levels by diet for 4 weeks, so THEN I got answers from my ob; as long as I continued fine, and baby continued to measure fine, then there is no reason I can't have a normal pregnancy and birth. Which for me was a huge deal; it means I can stay at my local birthing centre (3 mins walk from my mums back door!) Rather than having to drive 1.5 hours to the closest hospital!!!

If I have to go on to medication/insulin then I will have to go the long drive to the hospital. I imagine if my blood sugars go really crazy, despite medication/insulin, then they'd be pushing for an induction or something sooner than if it was maintained OK, but I haven't enquired about those details!

The issue seems to be more about the control; if your blood sugars are under good control, either by diet or with the help of medication/insulin, then they let you go further. Here anyway!! If you are struggling to control your levels then it becomes safer for baby to be born a little early (38-39 weeks) than stay in there with wonky blood sugars.

I am just hoping I pop on time/a little early this time (last time I went way overdue) cos while I'm confident to stand up for myself and not be induced for sheer convenience/unfounded fears, I am not looking forward to fighting that battle with a GD pregnancy adding to the doctors harassing....! Come on baby, not long now! Lol.

There is a fantastic group on Facebook for GD mammas if you're on there; its very active and has a lot of help. Fasting numbers seem THE most common to cause issues in GD, and are almost impossible to really control by diet, so don't feel bad needing medication for them especially!!

Thank you!! i guess its different all over as my dr seems keen on induction early and def not past 40 weeks. my diet control is going well but fasting not so good, they are talking about putting on metformin at next app to control them.
I will add the Facebook group for advice!! thanks again :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"