Gestational Diabetes Birth Questions

justplay91

Mama to Kai and Zoe!
Reaction score
Hi, everyone.
I was diagnosed at around 26 weeks with gestational diabetes. I guess my blood sugar numbers were high enough at my 2 hr glucose test that my doctor decided I needed medication as well as a diet plan. Now I'm 30+2 and on 2.5 mg glyburide. With the diet and medication, my bs levels have been pretty good.
So far, my doctor hasn't talked to me much about the birth plan, other than to say if he measures big at growth scans we'll have to consider a c-section. I'll go in in about 2 weeks for my first growth scan, and then I'll have another at 36 weeks. I guess my questions for you lovely ladies are mostly related to the birth itself. If he isn't measuring too big for vaginal labor, will they want to set an induction date? Or will they let me go full term (40 weeks) or over and birth naturally? Or will they want to do an induction earlier, around 38 weeks? I've done a little research online and it seems like if the diabetes is just diet controlled, they don't do much intervention. But if there's medication involved, it's a more serious situation. I was just wondering if anyone else has been through a pregnancy/birth while medicated for gestational diabetes. Thanks for taking the time to read and reply.

-Hayley

Hi, everyone.
I was diagnosed at around 26 weeks with gestational diabetes. I guess my blood sugar numbers were high enough at my 2 hr glucose test that my doctor decided I needed medication as well as a diet plan. Now I'm 30+2 and on 2.5 mg glyburide. With the diet and medication, my bs levels have been pretty good.
So far, my doctor hasn't talked to me much about the birth plan, other than to say if he measures big at growth scans we'll have to consider a c-section. I'll go in in about 2 weeks for my first growth scan, and then I'll have another at 36 weeks. I guess my questions for you lovely ladies are mostly related to the birth itself. If he isn't measuring too big for vaginal labor, will they want to set an induction date? Or will they let me go full term (40 weeks) or over and birth naturally? Or will they want to do an induction earlier, around 38 weeks? I've done a little research online and it seems like if the diabetes is just diet controlled, they don't do much intervention. But if there's medication involved, it's a more serious situation. I was just wondering if anyone else has been through a pregnancy/birth while medicated for gestational diabetes. Thanks for taking the time to read and reply.

-Hayley

Hi, I was just diagnosed today and told by my midwife to arrange any plans because I would be induced at 38 weeks if I hadn't gone by then. I'm in the uk so don't know if it's different. Are u in the us?
I am seeing the obstetrician and diabetes doctor tomorrow so I will have more info then so I can update you.

How are u feeling about it all? I was so upset today when I got my results but better knowing and now I will have the best care. Just felt like I've failed my baby by not being healthy enough :(

Hi, Rcx. Thanks for the reply! I'm sorry about your diagnosis; it was rough on me when I found out, too. I am in the US, so I'm not sure if procedure will be similar or not? But a lot of what I had read did say inductions around 38 weeks are common.
Now that I've known for awhile, I'm feeling better about it. Sometimes I still get kind of upset because I worry about my baby's health, and I too worry I have failed him in some way. But I've been pretty good about keeping my sugars controlled so I bet he's doing fine in there. I do get mad at my body a lot though, for not being able to do what it's supposed to do! I hope you get lots of good info from your doctors tomorrow, and I'd love to hear more from you as your pregnancy progresses. Good luck!

Hi, Rcx. Thanks for the reply! I'm sorry about your diagnosis; it was rough on me when I found out, too. I am in the US, so I'm not sure if procedure will be similar or not? But a lot of what I had read did say inductions around 38 weeks are common.
Now that I've known for awhile, I'm feeling better about it. Sometimes I still get kind of upset because I worry about my baby's health, and I too worry I have failed him in some way. But I've been pretty good about keeping my sugars controlled so I bet he's doing fine in there. I do get mad at my body a lot though, for not being able to do what it's supposed to do! I hope you get lots of good info from your doctors tomorrow, and I'd love to hear more from you as your pregnancy progresses. Good luck!

Thanks! It's good to know I'm not alone in the way Im feeling. My midwife said it was normal to get upset at the results because it is scary to hear you have a complication. Not to mention I hadn't eaten anything since 9pm the night before, felt sicky and it was unbelievably warm in the hospital!!

I will put an update on tomorrow if I have any more information.
Thanks again for your reply :)

I think everyone that gets this diagnosis goes through the same feelings - but it's better to know and be able to control it rather than risk any complications!

I have been told that I will be induced at 38 or 39 weeks depending on baby's size, how the sugar control is going, the level of medication etc. They aren't going to make a call on the exact date until around the 36 week mark (after the last growth scan) unless something major changes in the mean time. I'm in the UK.

I'm back from app today, they said if I can diet control they will let me get to my due date and then induce unless there are other issues, if I go on tablets then it will be 38-39 weeks and if I need insulin it'll be no later than 38 weeks.

I have a scan next week to check size, my final height is measuring 34 weeks!! I know that's not accurate so will see next week. I've to monitor my bloods for the week and then they will see if I need the tablets or insulin.

Huh, thanks for the information! I wish my doctors would be as straightforward with me! I guess maybe they're waiting to see if I'll need a c-section before they're going to tell me about other options. So if my docs have the same plan as yours and I don't require a cesarean, I'll hopefully be induced at 38 or 39 weeks. I have a fear of having to deliver a huge baby! Right now my fundal height is measuring about 34 weeks also, and I've consistently been about a month ahead since around 27 weeks or so. We'll see what my growth scan says next week. Good luck monitoring your bloods; it's not too bad. Though I must admit, I'm getting really sick of this diet already!

Well my fundal height is measuring 34 weeks!! So I am anxious to get my scan next week to see if it's accurate!
Hoping you're doing ok and get some more info from your doc soon. I will update u next week once I know what's happening with my bloods and the scan etc.
The dietician said my diet is good just to cut down on the carbs a tiny bit. I found out today I was very close, the fasting cut of is 5.5, I was 5.7 and the 2 hour result is less than 7, I was 7 on the dot, so hoping I can manage through diet alone, but dr said that being on medication is not an indication of failure so I've not to worry too much.

Your doctor gave great advice - sometimes your body just needs a little medical help to stay under the recommended levels - it's not you failing at all! Once I was diagnosed my diet was excellent but still the levels were just over what they like, so I am on small doses of medication and now my levels are excellent (better then what the doctors expected).

It will be hard these first few weeks working out what triggers your sugars as different people have different tolerances to different food. What works for someone may not work for you - there will be some trial and error while you work it out. And do experiment with it as otherwise, you do get a little bored with the food (I was diagnosed early so have been doing this for a while now).

Your doctor gave great advice - sometimes your body just needs a little medical help to stay under the recommended levels - it's not you failing at all! Once I was diagnosed my diet was excellent but still the levels were just over what they like, so I am on small doses of medication and now my levels are excellent (better then what the doctors expected).

It will be hard these first few weeks working out what triggers your sugars as different people have different tolerances to different food. What works for someone may not work for you - there will be some trial and error while you work it out. And do experiment with it as otherwise, you do get a little bored with the food (I was diagnosed early so have been doing this for a while now).

Thanks for your advice! My sugars have been fine since yesterday's test but i am still going to see what it good for me or not. I had stirfry with noodles for dinner last night, tonight is salmon with new bouled potatoes and veg so hoping this will be under my limit too. X

Hi Rick

I live in Australia and was diagnosed with GD at 27w . The diagnosis was rough on me and I was paranoid but I had the most amazing OBG who told me not to worry unless he asked me too.. At 36 weeks my dr told me that I had to be induced at 38 weeks as that is when the placenta usually stops supplying nutrients to the baby when mum has GD.. My induction went smoothly and baby was born 3 hours after starting the pitocin my dr had asked the anaesthetist to give me an epidural before administering the pitocin .. Had absolutely no pain whatsoever .. My princess was born weighing 6lb and is a healthy 6 month old weighing 14lb..all the diet control and exercise helped me stay fit as well .. I gained only 10 kilos through out my pregnancy had an amazing birth experience and would nt have it any other way .
Good luck to you :)

Hi Rick

I live in Australia and was diagnosed with GD at 27w . The diagnosis was rough on me and I was paranoid but I had the most amazing OBG who told me not to worry unless he asked me too.. At 36 weeks my dr told me that I had to be induced at 38 weeks as that is when the placenta usually stops supplying nutrients to the baby when mum has GD.. My induction went smoothly and baby was born 3 hours after starting the pitocin my dr had asked the anaesthetist to give me an epidural before administering the pitocin .. Had absolutely no pain whatsoever .. My princess was born weighing 6lb and is a healthy 6 month old weighing 14lb..all the diet control and exercise helped me stay fit as well .. I gained only 10 kilos through out my pregnancy had an amazing birth experience and would nt have it any other way .
Good luck to you :)

Thank you so much for your reply!! Great to know it all went smoothly for you, gives us all hope! I am hoping my doctors will be as good as yours, it all seems promising at the moment so I am happy thus far. Looking forward to getting more answers next week. X

My doctors won't let me go past 40 weeks but they have not mentioned an early induction and definitely no talk of a C section. I get weekly ultrasounds and non stress test and just had a growth estimate at the 22 percentile. Diet controlled for me.

I got told my baby was huuuge, and convinced that I needed a c-section. If I had stuck up for myself and asked to have a VBAC (my first was an emergency section) I would have had to have given birth by 40+6.

Mine was diet and metformin controlled.

I did choose the c-section and it was booked for and done successfully at 39+2. She wasn't huge either :).

It seems in the US that they like to get baby out at the 38 week stage.

I've been on insulin and was supposed to be induced at 38 weeks.
But my hospital is a total shambles and I'm still day at home waiting for an induction bed to 'become free', which is unbelievably stressful.

I hope everything goes smoothly for the rest of you :hugs:

I've been on insulin and was supposed to be induced at 38 weeks.
But my hospital is a total shambles and I'm still day at home waiting for an induction bed to 'become free', which is unbelievably stressful.

I hope everything goes smoothly for the rest of you :hugs:

Oh no that is so crap :(! Hope you're ok :(.

Does anyone know the process re keeping blood sugars below cut off with bloods, if I I'm close to cut off if I'll be still put on medication or if it's only if I'm actually over the cut off? I'm managing to keep under control with diet but just want to prepare for what they say on Tuesday xx

Sorry not of much help but I just could not keep my BS levels under control inspire of the insulin, diet control and half hour walks in the morning noon and night .. Was beyond the cut off limit most of the time

Rcx, my doctor seems to be pretty pleased as long as I'm technically under the limit, even if it's close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peanut2024
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->