Gestational diabetes diet ideas?

mk8

Reaction score
Hello all

I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes a few weeks ago (second pregnancy). I was diagnosed at around 19 weeks with my first pregnancy and managed to control it with my diet. I was so careful the first time and I gave birth to a healthy baby boy. However, he was reeeeeeally skinny. It made me wonder if I went OTT with the carb control. So this time round I'm careful but less so as I don't want a skinny baby again. Low birth weight is a concern too.

But I have had more high readings this time round. I find cereal, pasta and bread really bad for my glucose levels. Before, eggs, sausages etc for breakfast did wonders for my sugar levels. But this pregnancy the thought of fry ups and meat makes me want to throw up and i crave porridge and a healthy meal. I want veggies, carbs and fruit. Whilst healthy they make my blood sugars spike. Wondering what you ladies do?

Mostly I just suffer, lol. I hate meat and eggs, so unfortunately the diet is rough on me. I do try to eat a lot of hard boiled eggs as well as handfuls of nuts for snacks. They are high calorie without being high carb. But yes, it's very hard when all you want to eat is a bowl of spaghetti! Also there are some awesome recipes for low carb soups, pizzas (I made one with cauliflower that was actually really good), and other dishes that are really tasty. It just involves a lot of cooking, which I'm usually too lazy to do. Haha.

And I forgot to say, my babies were 7lbs 1oz and 7lbs 3oz. So not tiny, but not at all big either. I'm not sure in my case whether that is because of the diet or because OH and I are just smaller people. I will say that the GD diet makes it hard to gain weight during pregnancy, and I have wondered if that's why my babies have been on the smaller side.

Thanks justplay. Nuts for snacks sounds like a good idea. I've mainly been eating cheese but I'm sick of it now. I like the cauliflour pizza idea. Will give that a try!

I think hard boiled eggs are a better option. Fried eggs just make me wanna throw up right now. I might also try cracking an egg onto my porridge. Maybe take a stroll after breakfast too to help digest, improve sugar levels and also to get fitter for the birth!

Good luck with your pregnancy!!

Hi ladies, I've had GD with both pregnancies and carbs have really made me feel ill. The thought of ice cream makes me want to heave! I love protein & veg but hate leftovers and right now with DD and this twin pregnancy I'm also tired alot to cook. I don't find veggies spike my blood but fruit does. I can't eat fruits or carbs without having 5-10 bites of protein first. My protein snacks and meals are pretty varied:
-crab stuffed mushrooms with melted cheese
-salad with hemp hearts (hemp hearts have a HUGE amount of protein for just a small bit). They're great on popcorn, soup, salads, virtually anything that you'd throw some Parmesan over.
-borritos (thin wrap) shredded pork/chicken, cheese, lettuce, salsa, sour cream (any veggies you like celentro
-breakfast favourites turkey scrambles with veggies & cheese (I react badly to eggs even though I eat them from time to time), protein pancakes (pinterest) with 0 sugar syrup from my local diabetic store), muffin egg pops with veggies & cheese,
-nuts
-Costco has turkey pepperoni sticks that I like to snack on
-chicken cordon blu (costco)
-greek yoghurt (check the protein to carb ratio, usually anything fruity will have waaaaaay high carb content -mostly sugar - whereas liberte usually has 18g protein to 6 g carb). Add this to soups or baked potato in place of sour cream.

I can handle some carbs as long as I eat the protein from my plate first. But as for oatmeal, I've always been hungry in an hour after eating it, same as cereal as it's mostly carby food. I had to give both up right in the start of first tri as I'd need to hug a toilet half way through. It converts straight to sugar, my body can tell, I've always been sensitive to sugary, carby foods and don't do well even without being pregnant on this type of meal. I shared a peach with my DD a few weeks ago first thing in the morning and immediately heaved it all up. Protein always first. She was born at 7 lbs 5 oz and I gained 24 lbs with her pregnancy. I'm currently 15 lbs up with this twin pregnancy and just hit the 20 week mark today.

I hope you can find a balance that you're happy with. Do experiment with eating some protein first and then carb if you find that straight carb spikes your sugar levels too much. Even a protein drink ie chocolate milk might help curb the spike. Good luck with it!

Thanks so much 2have4kids. That's incredibly helpful.

I also find that just jogging for 5 minutes or brisk walking for 10-15 minutes after a carby meal really brings my sugars back down to a normal level.
And protein before carbs is another great tip! Always works for me!

I'm on my second GD pregnancy (diagnosed at 13 weeks this time!)
I find the gestational diabetes UK website and Facebook group really helpful for ideas and support. Worth looking up!
I also had a skinny baby first time around but I've put that down to being induced at 38 weeks, he really needed more time to cook!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->