Gestational diabetes diet ideas

mk8

Reaction score
Hello all

I'm 24 weeks pregnant and have gestational diabetes. Currently diet controlled.

Thought I'd set up this thread to see whether others would like to share meal and snack ideas.

Also, I wonder whether you do your blood sugar test 1 or 2 hours after the start of your meal or end of your meal.

In terms of what I eat:

BREAKFAST
- Porridge with whole milk and water and egg cracked into it.
- omelettes
- scrambled eggs
- bacon
- sausage
- slice of small toast with egg or bacon

LUNCH/DINNER
- roast dinners
- roast chicken on salad
- chicken and veggies with pesto pasta (very small portion of pasta
- meat with noodles (very small portion of noodles)
- quesadilla with lots of cheese and meat. Wholemeal small tortilla
- grilled meat like kebabs on salad
- lasagne with aubergine instead of pasta sheets
- pan fried salmon with veggies (not potatoes)
- chicken or steak pie (eating more the filling than pastry!)
- chicken curry with very little rice

SNACKS
- cheese and ham
- half a hot cross bun (hard not to scoff the other half!)
- nuts
- small apple
- cocktail sausages (not the healthiest I know)

Any other ideas ladies?

I was early diagnosed with GD at 15wks as I had pre-existing insulin resistance. Since my fasting #s were the problem I went straight to insulin use, but am still moderating diet ofc.

Breakfast
steel cut oats with 1%milk, some kind of nuts and a dollop of natural
2 eggs on a whole grain english muffin
scrambled eggs with multigrain bread (1 slice)
omelette with veggies

30-35g carbs

Lunch Marble or Dark Rye (lower GI)
lean meat of some kind or egg salad
low GI fruit like berries or grapes
greek yogurt
40ishg carbs

Dinner
lean protein usually chicken with sweet potato or brown rice or quinoa (small portion) and some kind of green veggie usually I like to experiment with different spices and low sugar sauces

soups are also good since we're in fall now and then i have the bonus of taking them for lunch
30-50g carbs

Snacks
apple with pb
hummus and rice crisps or baby carrots
greek yogurt
cucumbers or grape tomatoes with salt and pepper
also nuts and i have dried fruit on hand in case I get a sugar drop suddenly
15g carbs

I try to keep it to 180g or less carbs in a day as best i can

I'm a creature of habit so tend to eat same or similarly each day. I'm also trying to keep my carbs constant and steady

Hi Ellivort. Thanks for sharing.

Hope your pregnancy is going well so far.

I was wondering whether you do your tests one or two hours after your meal and whether you time from first bite or when you first finish?

Hi Ellivort. Thanks for sharing.

Hope your pregnancy is going well so far.

I was wondering whether you do your tests one or two hours after your meal and whether you time from first bite or when you first finish?

Oops sorry I did mean to comment on that.

I started out doing 1 hours, but I kept getting highs and I was like for crying out loud!! :dohh: So I asked my doctor if could go 2 hours and she said yes. My 2 hour numbers are great. In my case its taking the rapid insulin longer to take effect, most likely because of resistance issues.

If you are strictly diet controlled then 1 hour after taking your first bite (assuming you don't linger on a meal) is probably a better indicator or try alternating and see if there much difference. If diet controlled I think 1 hour and 2 hour should both be in range. If unsure ask your doctor, but maybe spend a few days getting both 1 hr and 2 hr numbers so your doctor has some info to go on.

Good luck with your pregnancy and managment!

I believe you are suppose to test it 2 hours after finishing your mean. Your body is still digesting the sugar from the carbs you eat, so if you take it one hour after you start eating, and you don't finish eating for 30 minutes, then your body will be digesting the sugar when you take it, and doesn't have enough time to react to naturally lowering your sugars by then. Also, most doctors don't want you testing at one hour because even people that don't have diabetes usually have a higher number at that point. It is usually recommended to do two hours after eating, especially because you are not on insulin, and everyones body works differently. Also, if you are not down to a normal level by two hours then you know your body is struggling with what you are eating, and you learn what to stay away from. Hope that helps!

As a general rule you would test 2 hours after eating but during pregnancy they say 1 hour I'm the worst tester ever I always forget :wacko:

Thanks for all your responses ladies.

Well I tested at the one hr mark (from first bite) and it was just within range. I think my diabetes is getting worse as the pregnancy progresses(which I know it's expected). So this morning I tried half a wholemeal wrap with omelette. Will update here how my readings are in case it helps anybody.

Hello! I had gd with my pregnancy with ds. I am expecting to get it again this time, but fx I don't. I was diet controlled with ds and plan to start a less strict gd diet soon just in case.

So basically I am just going to follow along with you ladies! I'm happy to send support in any way I can. Good luck!

Hi rubysmommy and welcome! Congrats on your pregnancy. How far along are you?

I was gd with my last pregnancy and fear I will be again. I'm still in first trimester and eating absolutely horribly to stave off the nausea. But I'm hoping to reign it in soon and start a modified gd diet and hope to pass my test. It also seriously helped my weight gain last time and I lost all 60lbs (I had twins) within 6 weeks. So there is a plus side to it!
I'm going to follow for ideas

I am 14w3d now! I have a mw appt on wed and I am sure she will have me test early maybe around 20w again this pregnancy.

Lanet: I was surprised how little I gained with ds only 9lbs! And it came off fairly quickly but my eating habits went south pp and I gained it all back lol. But was able to lose it again plus a few more lbs

Hi ladies, well, being pregnant in the winter is hard. I just want biscuits!!

Omelette for breakfast now. Farewell porridge, I don't think I tolerate that very well anymore sigh.

Good luck with your test ruby!

The cravings are the worst!! All I wanted was pancakes and chipotle burritos when I was pregnant with ds....

Thank you. I had my a1c done today and it's totally normal, so I wint be tested for gd until 26 weeks. Which is Jan 23 lol. At least I'll get through the holidays with less restrictions lol.

Good luck with the cravings!!

Thanks ruby and congrats with your results. Enjoy turkey with all the trimmings and lots of dessert!!

So I have had three highs this week. One was due to a takeaway at a friend's house (couldn't really be that fussy there). Two were fasting readings (5.3 and 5.4, so borderline). Though I have a cold, which affects readings. Will see what doctor says tomorrow. Ideally I'd like to see how the readings are once my cold has gone (they are slightly elevated when I'm not well) but if the doc recommends meds, I will be guided by him.

Did any of you take meds before?

I didn't need any meds. But I had a few high readings on occasion. I only had a few borderline fasting levels. But was VERY restricted on my diet. The nutritionist was concerned I was cutting out too many carbs, but I only had keystones once. I would eat a Greek yogurt right before bed and it seemed to help my bs stay stable overnight.

I'm not GD but my go to breakfast is a middle eastern dish called shaksuka. I do a very quick lazy version so the spices may not be right but basically dice some onion (spring or normal) and whatever veg I might have on hand, today it was a chilli and mushrooms. Lightly fry. Then add a tin of chopped tomatoes. Add seasoning, for me that's salt, pepper, chilli flakes, paprika. Make 2 wells in the mix and crack an egg in each. Sprinkle spinach on top then add a lid and leave until eggs are cooked (runny is my preference but I know we aren't really supposed to in pregnancy). I eat straight from the pan with a spoon. Good fats, protein, iron and vit c all in one tasty dish. My husband likes to add diced chorizo too.

If you are eating runny eggs (which I am because Nhs site says no risk to baby just could give me salmonella- which would be the same pregnant or not) then boiled eggs with steamed asparagus soldiers is another favourite here.

Oh and my on the go breakfast is a smoothie with berries, Greek yogurt (total or Skyr have the lowest sugar) half an avocado, almond milk and optionally a squeeze of lime. Yum and full of healthy fats again :) nuts could be used instead of avocado.

Kanichen: yum!! Those are great ideas. I did a similar egg/ veggie sauté with summer veggies when they were in season and it was so good! Thanks for sharing!!

Thanks kanichen.

My doc wasn't concerned about my readings because I had a cold and they were borderline. However since then I've had two highs in past 6 days. It's definitely harder this time round(had gestational diabetes with first baby).

My fasting readings are high 4s, low 5s. Not sure what to do about it. Some have suggested late night snack.

I agree with a late night snack. I think that helped me with my fasting readings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->