Gestational diabetes diet ideas

What did you ladies have a midnight snack?

So my diabetes is harder to control it seems. I need ideas for breakfast. I'm eating so many eggs. Haha

Breakfast wise it's still eggs I'm afraid but I've been having burritos. Frying off spring onions, tomatoes, mushrooms, chillis, a little chorizo until cooked, then adding an egg or 2 - mixing until the egg is cooked then folding it into a wrap. Could also add sour cream/guacamole. Hopefully the wrap wouldn't be too carby for you? And it tastes very different to an omelette or plain scrambled eggs.

To be fair I will eat anything for breakfast, if you can switch to a '3 meals a day' mindset as opposed to breakfast/lunch/dinner that may help? I've been known to eat curry with broccoli instead of rice for breakfast.

Thanks for the breakfast burrito idea. Wraps are ok but breakfasts can be a bit unpredictable in terms of my sugar levels. Sometimes I can take bready things, sometimes not.

I always have eggs for breakfast too. Whether it's an omelette, a wrap, in porridge (if I know in going to go for a long walk) etc.

Hi. Just received my GD diagnosis today and gutted. Can I join as I've no idea what I'm supposed to be eating. See dietician on wed. Breakfast burrito sounds delicious

Hi all,

Just injecting some life back into this thread as it's gone quiet. Broodymrs- so sorry didn't realise you posted. How are you getting on?

So I'm almost 35 weeks and still diet controlled. Baby's tummy is above average (last scan 34 weeks) and head and legs below average. Eek.

So what have I been eating:

Breakfast
Porridge with egg
1 slice seedy bread with almond butter + boiled egg
Slices toast with ham or bacon
English fry ups (sausages eggs bacon)
Omelettes (ham and cheese and sometimes with tomato and mushroom.

Lunch
Steak with salad
Roast chicken with salad
Quiche (don't eat much of the crust)
Sausages
Fajitas with half large wholemeal tortilla

Dinner
Roast dinners
Stir fry with small portion basmati rice
Stews with vegetables and small portion potatoes/rice

Minimise sweet corn, baked beans and carbs

I do crave sweet things and admittedly naughty over Xmas. But now I'm trying to be good and if I do want a sweet treat I have fruit (1 piece) or two rich tea finger biscuits (3.6g carbs each).

For snacks I have almonds, cheese, cocktail sausages, tea, fruit.

Those are great ideas and choices!

My glucose test is Jan 23, but I have been checking my blood sugars the past week and had a few high numbers. I was very sick with a cold that turned sinus infection :( but since taking the antibiotics and eating more frequently all my #s have been normal. So I'm hoping it was the sickness that was the issue.. I have my fx I'm going to pass! Lol

Good luck rubysmommy! My numbers spiked with colds too and the docs said that is normal

What were your cold and normal numbers out of curiosity?

During my cold I had numbers go up to 170-180s and normally if they are high it's barely over 140s. Recently they have been anywhere from 80-120 unless I eat a lot of carbs and don't walk around after. I had a 153 last night and 141 the morning before after shredded wheat cereal and a small cookie.

Also if you want something tasty for breakfast.... I've been making 1 slice of toast and sautéing halved cherry tomatoes in a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar until soft. Place on toast and top with 2 fried eggs! It is SO good :)

Thanks rubysmommy. Will try the cherry tomatoes with balsamic vinegar and eggs on toast. Sounds yum!

Thought I strangely just want a bowl of crunchy nut cornflakes or porridge with a teaspoon of jam!

Dinner tonight is roast duck with green beans, courgettes and couple of roast potatoes. Will see how I get on there.

Yesterday I had ribs in a barbecue sauce- high reading!! The sauce obviously had lots of sugar. Damn easy jar food!

Sounds delicious! It seems like convenient food never works the way we want :( have you tried store bought pesto? That was my favorite with a hot turkey or chicken, mozzarella and tomatoes on a sandwich thin.

I have lots of pesto but never on sandwich thin. Good call! I tend to have open sandwich with chicken/turkey, cheese and cucumber. That works well for numbers usually. Will try the pesto for some variety! Thanks!

I also made roast duck yest and had it with one roast potatoes, green beans and roasted courgettes. Numbers were fab and it makes a change from the usual chicken roast I have.

I don't have GD *knocks on wood*, but I'm not far enough along to have been tested for it yet. However, I have a little recipe I'd like to contribute. It's something I came up with and I call it a low-carb pizza.

All you do is take whatever toppings you like on a pizza (I only like meats, but I'm sure lots of people love it loaded with veggies) and heat/cook them in a pan or microwave. Then add a bit of mozzarella cheese and a spoonful or so of pasta sauce. Throw it in the microwave to melt the cheese and there you go. Tastes just like pizza.

Dunno if that fits into the GD diet guidelines, but I thought I'd share it anyway.

I had to take my 1 hour glucose test last week and failed that. I'm currently sitting at the lab doing my 3 hour GTT... My doc made be do this early because of my weight. I'm so scared if I fail how I'm going to handle the next 6 months...

I had to take my 1 hour glucose test last week and failed that. I'm currently sitting at the lab doing my 3 hour GTT... My doc made be do this early because of my weight. I'm so scared if I fail how I'm going to handle the next 6 months...

Hang in there!! I have faith you will handle it well if you do have to follow a gestational diabetes plan.

There is help to manage it with diet but if that doesn't work you have metformin or insulin. Hopefully you will be ok!

I failed my 1 hr test and go back for my 2 hr on Wednesday morning.

Passed my 3 hour but still want to try and follow the diet

Good news gagrlin! I also have been trying to follow the gd diet. Even if I somehow pass the 2 hr one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->