Gestational diabetes. Pls help so upset

jw1555

Reaction score
I was happy this morning as the consultant discharged me back to midwife care and said that she thought it highly unlikely that I have gestational diabetes. However the diabetes midwife just called and she said that I do have diabetes. I have to go in to see her tomorrow but am now in a panic. I've lost a few family members to diabetes and whilst I know that gestational diabetes usually goes away after pregnancy it has really upset and terrified me. I'm also so worried for my baby, I know I only have to wait until tomorrow to see the midwife but I wondered if anyone else had experience of gestational diabetes and what happens next? I'm 34 weeks 3 days x

I was diagnosed at 12 weeks. Relax, as long as you are careful about what you put in your system, you and baby will be just fine. The main thing is to limit Carb and sugar heavy foods as much as possible. Eat every 3-4 hours and be sure to include good carbs (whole grains, veggies) and proteins (meats, cheeses, other dairy) when choosing meals and snacking. Your typical meal will have 2-4 carbs (each "carb" is 15 grams of carbohydrates according to package labeling). Snacks should have 1-2 carbs and should always include a protein.

I'm sure your midwife will go into more detail, but maybe that will get you through today with peace of mind. I promise it's not something that is detrimental when kept in check and the main effect from the gestational diabetes is having a big baby, which is why they check this late in pregnancy.

I was diagnosed at 12 weeks. Relax, as long as you are careful about what you put in your system, you and baby will be just fine. The main thing is to limit Carb and sugar heavy foods as much as possible. Eat every 3-4 hours and be sure to include good carbs (whole grains, veggies) and proteins (meats, cheeses, other dairy) when choosing meals and snacking. Your typical meal will have 2-4 carbs (each "carb" is 15 grams of carbohydrates according to package labeling). Snacks should have 1-2 carbs and should always include a protein.

I'm sure your midwife will go into more detail, but maybe that will get you through today with peace of mind. I promise it's not something that is detrimental when kept in check and the main effect from the gestational diabetes is having a big baby, which is why they check this late in pregnancy.

Thank you so much, that does make me feel better. I think it all just came as a shock and losing my last relative to diabetes was only recently so it's all still a bit raw. But then I know gestational diabetes isn't the same thing.
Have you been offered an induction or caesarean or are you still allowed. Normal labour?

I'm so sorry you're so worried. I felt the same way when I was told I had it as well.

You're in the homestretch though so that's great! Whatever you end up needing to do, at least won't last long. You'll start monitoring your sugars, probably 4-7 times a day which just involves a finger prick when you wake up and an hour or two after you eat. They'll tell you what ranges they'll want you in. A lot of women can easily control their levels with what they eat. Pairing whatever you're consuming with good amounts of protein is often times all you need to do (so if you're going to eat an apple, you also eat a couple slices of cheese).

If that doesn't work there are oral medications to try, and insulin. But if you made it to 34 weeks with no trouble I'm thinking you won't need to go that far.

I know how overwhelming, disappointing and scary it can be but you're in good hands and they'll walk you through everything you need tomorrow. Accept the guidance and don't be afraid to tell her you're scared. Take notes and try to stay positive. You've can do this, you're almost there! :flower:

I was told that the likelihood of having a Csection is increased, but that they're going to let me labor naturally and a section will only be necessary if baby grows too big or any complications arise that could put her at risk. I am overweight too, so that's another strike against me putting me at above the 50% chance mark of csection, but my doctor seems confident that unless anything new pops up, that I shouldn't have any problems delivering naturally.

I developed symptoms from my blood sugar dropping too low which is how mine got caught so early, but most cases aren't caught until your stage in Pregnancy and many do go on to have natural births

I'm so sorry you're so worried. I felt the same way when I was told I had it as well.

You're in the homestretch though so that's great! Whatever you end up needing to do, at least won't last long. You'll start monitoring your sugars, probably 4-7 times a day which just involves a finger prick when you wake up and an hour or two after you eat. They'll tell you what ranges they'll want you in. A lot of women can easily control their levels with what they eat. Pairing whatever you're consuming with good amounts of protein is often times all you need to do (so if you're going to eat an apple, you also eat a couple slices of cheese).

If that doesn't work there are oral medications to try, and insulin. But if you made it to 34 weeks with no trouble I'm thinking you won't need to go that far.

I know how overwhelming, disappointing and scary it can be but you're in good hands and they'll walk you through everything you need tomorrow. Accept the guidance and don't be afraid to tell her you're scared. Take notes and try to stay positive. You've can do this, you're almost there! :flower:

Ahh thank you so much that has really put my mind at rest and your kindness has made me feel alot better. Thank you ladies for your reassurances. I wasn't showing it at my first GTT test 6 weeks ago and only on this second test which was done as baby was big so fingers crossed it will go after LO is here xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->