gestational diabetes what to eat?

flosie

Reaction score
I have my gtt test coming up but I want to be mentally prepared for the kind of food I will need to eat of I am diagnosed with it. Google isn't giving much information

I just try to eat a good amount of protein with a small amount of carbs so for example here's what a day might look like for me
Breakfast-eggs,ham and toast
Lunch-sand which but only one piece of bread, some vegetables
Dinner-main protein (steak, chicken...just protein) green vegetable and a small starch, either a roll or very small amount of potatoes

I drink water and maybe a very small amount of milk, it's important to snack too to keep your sugars stable, in the beginning, I was having problems with my numbers actually being too low, I try to eat every hour and a half but it doesn't have to be something big, I was worried about weight gain at first but I have yet to gain anything in this pregnancy and I have actually continued to lose a little bit...

Thank you for the reply. That's really helpful. So its basically cutting down carbs and sugar, increase protein?

Thank you for the reply. That's really helpful. So its basically cutting down carbs and sugar, increase protein?

Yep pretty much, you always want a protein with a carb and you need to snack more often to keep your levels balanced, I usually have a Quaker oats peanut butter granola bar with some water for a snack in between meals.

Any reason why you think you might be diagnosed with it?

Ya if you eat any carbs have protein with it always if you have gd. My dietician limits my fruit to only mid day and milk any time but breakfast, she said in the morning you are more insulin resistant from cortisol while you sleep so my breakfast is usually a uniform whole wheat toast with margarine and either eggs with salsa or a turkey sausage. They also want you to snack between meals with 1 carb and 1 protein choice. Hopefully they'll have you meet a dietician soon and she'll give you a meal plan to follow :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->