Gestational diabetes???

BabyMcRayRay

Reaction score
Okay so I got flagged by my doctor for a good chance to get gestational diabetes which caused for earlier screening. I am nearing the end of my 13th week so I wasn't sure if 1st or 2nd trimester board but figured I'm close enough to the next one. So here I am. Anyways. I had the screening last week which is a lot earlier than the pregnancy with my son by about 7 weeks. (Never had gestational diabetes with him but was also a lower weight). I got with my husband about 2 years ago and I guess I gained a lot of happy weight, that I'm not exactly proud of let's just say I hit my don't go over this much weight line. I am currently 230 lbs after dropping a few pounds with this pregnancy. I got my results and they said they want me to do the 3 hour screening because the cut off for the test was levels of 130. I was at 131..... How likely do you think I will actually test positive for gestational diabetes since I'm on the line of yay or nay for having it elevated. I haven't taken the 3 hour yet but I am nervous because I have no clue what to expect if I have it or anything. Can anyone shed some light or guidance I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advanced.

With my last pregnancy I weighed more than you and I missed the cut off by a few points but I passed the 3 hour test. Good luck, dont stress (I know, I know lol) I am scheduled for glucose test end of July at 27 weeks. My Dr's office advised me to watch my carb intake the week of my test.

With my first 2 kiddos, I failed the 1 hour by 2 points, but passed the 3 hour "with flying colors". What they didnt tell me, was that my "flying colors" were actually really bad. They werent high, but I went very reactive hypo and my levels dropped incredibly low. Which explains why I always felt like crap afterwards.

I skipped it with this baby and opted for 2 weeks of glucose monitoring. Its better this way. 1: its not as hard on your body. 2: it gives a better look long term. and 3: I dont know of anyone who sits and consumes 100g of sugar in a 5 minute period (just for reference, a candy bar has about 23g, a can of soda around 33.)

In any case, my numbers were a little elevated with my monitoring, so they're treating me as GD since it was elevated early on. I have PCOS, so I know Im insulin resistant to begin with. And I wanted to get on Metformin in the hopes of increasing my chances of successfully nursing this baby, so I was happy. I take my meds, watch what I eat, and my numbers are perfect now. Baby is doing great and measuring a little small - around the 30th percentile - and I have lost weight which is freaking awesome haha.

Honestly, even if you DO end up with GD, its not bad. Just watch your carbs, eat lots of protein, and limit sugar intake. :hugs:

chickenmommy- curious how metformin has influence on nursing? I'm on the borderline of PCOS and really want to breastfeed so this is really interesting to me.

chickenmommy- curious how metformin has influence on nursing? I'm on the borderline of PCOS and really want to breastfeed so this is really interesting to me.

Insulin resistance plays a huge role in milk production. So getting that under control can help you produce more milk. With my first, I didn't make anything. With #2 I maxed out at 1 ounce per day. I'm hoping things will be different this time now that I've done more research. Fenugreek is horrible for me because of my pcos and possible thyroid issues. And I was taking a crap ton of it with both kids before. I think I have a little bit of IGT going on as well, due to the spacing and lack of tissue in the bottom of my breasts, but I've noticed an increase in tissue since starting the metformin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->