Gestational diabetes!!

Reiko_ctu

Reaction score
Not sure how active this part of the forum is, but since it's a complication thought I'd post here.

I've had GD 2 times before and am pregnant with #3. 12+2 along and my blood sugars are still measuring good. I didn't get hit with high sugars until passed 20 weeks previously but am just being safe by checking early.

I've had 2 diet controlled pregnancies, went away after delivery, and hoping to do the same this time as I'm aiming for a home birth with midwives. Insulin would be a transfer to OB and hospital birth.

So hoping to pass the time with some other GD mamas and support each other, no matter where you are in your pregnancy :)

I've always been hypoglycemic, and it was the same for my last two pregnancies. I just found out I failed my glucose screening test! Even if I pass the 3 hour (this Friday), I'm wondering if I should start paying more attention to my diet and stop treating myself like I have low blood sugar....

Wow that's really interesting! DO you feel like any of your risk factors have changed since your last pregnancy? I hope you pass your 3 hr test xx Could've been a one off... I hear a lot of women don't pass the 1 hr and pass the next one.

Here we only do a 2 hour test. Fasting blood sugar, drink the sugar juice, 1 hr reading and 2 hr reading. One high reading is a fail.

I failed my one hour and have to do the 3 hour one... Blah. Same thing with my DS#1. I passed the 3 hour one with him though. I have been doing some research just in case to get my mind around it if I do end up with it. Im slightly higher risk as type 2 diabetes run in my birth family.

I took my 3 hour test today. I should have the results Monday or Tuesday. I didn't feel sick, but I was extremely exhausted!

I was diagnosed with GD 2 weeks ago and have spent the past two weeks trying to get my levels under control but they are all over the place. I have to see the dr on Wednesday and most likely will be put on medication for it I think. This is my third pregnancy and 1st time with GD. Have so many things I feel uncertain about at the moment.

I passed my test! I was just told to watch my carb/sugar intake and to increase my protein at meals

Gezi that is awesome!! Way to go!!

Lily - can you write something examples of what you're eating? Do you get to meet with a dieticitian? I would for sure request some help from a dietician before going straight to medication!

I always found I could eat 1 serving (15g) of carbs at breakfast, and 2 each at lunch and dinner. Any more and I would spike. And make sure it's whole grains and not white carbs. I would do a nice big omelette with veggies and cheese for breakfast with 1 piece of whole grain toast. 2 pieces of whole grain bread as some sort of sandwich, veggies and dip for lunch. Meat, veggies, brown rice for dinner. Yogurt, apples with nut butter, nuts, veggies and dip for lunch. Diet drinks aren't really good so If you crave soda, do sparkling water with lemon or lime, or even a dash for fruit juice but most sugary drinks need to avoid.

Oh and Lily - how are your fasting numbers when you wake in the morning?

Gezi that is awesome!! Way to go!!

Lily - can you write something examples of what you're eating? Do you get to meet with a dieticitian? I would for sure request some help from a dietician before going straight to medication!

I always found I could eat 1 serving (15g) of carbs at breakfast, and 2 each at lunch and dinner. Any more and I would spike. And make sure it's whole grains and not white carbs. I would do a nice big omelette with veggies and cheese for breakfast with 1 piece of whole grain toast. 2 pieces of whole grain bread as some sort of sandwich, veggies and dip for lunch. Meat, veggies, brown rice for dinner. Yogurt, apples with nut butter, nuts, veggies and dip for lunch. Diet drinks aren't really good so If you crave soda, do sparkling water with lemon or lime, or even a dash for fruit juice but most sugary drinks need to avoid.

My fasting numbers are generally ok although the past 2 mornings they have been over - just! UI have met with the education team and also a dietitian and been through my diet. I usually have a piece of toast for breakfast or a bowl on untoasted muesli with milk. I don't have time in the mornings to do anything fancy. I work and have 2 little ones to get organised as well. Lunch is usually a low GI multigrain wrap with salad and ham, or some low GI crackers and fruit. Dinner is always meat and veg and occasionally pasta which surprisingly doesn't put me over!

I think I will be seeing the dr at the hospital tomorrow and then Thursday to discuss options and see where to from here. I really don't want to be on medication if I can help it.

Well sounds like you're eating a pretty good diet carb wise... you could maybe try some different brands of bread and see if you react better. It's great that pasta doesn't spike you! I think I remember pasta was a lot better for me than rice or potatoes... or maybe potatoes were good. I can't remember. Breakfast is a tough one if it has to be quick. I hope the Dr gives you some help and maybe your team can give you some new ideas to try. Are all your meals cause you to go pretty high? Or is one particularly bad? I remember I couldn't drink milk in the morning, it spiked me. Oh and fruit, strawberries I think are a good fruit if I remember? I could never do anything like granola or muesli, even like 1 tbsp would shoot my numbers up! So I would do plain greek yogurt with strawberries for breakfast sometimes and that was ok. The greek yogurt has protein which helps keep glucose levelled.

Saw the dr yesterday and I am now on insulin 3 times a day. Started with just low doses so hoping that will be enough to settle things for now. I know things often get worse as the pregnancy progresses so will see how things go. Off to see the obstetrician later this morning and hopefully get a scan to check on bubs size.

Saw the dr yesterday and I am now on insulin 3 times a day. Started with just low doses so hoping that will be enough to settle things for now. I know things often get worse as the pregnancy progresses so will see how things go. Off to see the obstetrician later this morning and hopefully get a scan to check on bubs size.

Aw that's hard to have to move to medical management. But on the plus side you will be able to eat!! I heard the insulin injections are actually not even as bad as taking your levels lol!! Jsyk the estimates on ultrasounds can be like a full 2 lbs off on weight estimates so :/

Aw that's hard to have to move to medical management. But on the plus side you will be able to eat!! I heard the insulin injections are actually not even as bad as taking your levels lol!! Jsyk the estimates on ultrasounds can be like a full 2 lbs off on weight estimates so :/

Yea the injections aren't too bad. The finger pricks hurts more for sure. so far my bsl have been better except for my lunch time ones which are still over so might have to increase the dosage tomorrow. Been feeling soooooo tired these days though and haven't been sleeping well so I am hoping the weekend will let me catch up a little. The scan yesterday showed baby is about the average size for this stage of pregnancy but a scan in 3 weeks will be a better indication of birth size. Also the hospital said their policy is to induce at 38 weeks which means this bub will be very close to Christmas. My birthday is the 29th and my daughters the 30th so hoping we can avoid all these dates. Maybe boxing day they said.

Ugh, I have my 3 hour test in the morning. I have to be at the doctors office at 7am since the lab is only open until 11am. Kinda weird but whatever. Had a high protein lunch and dinner and little sugar all day. Really hoping I pass my 3 hour...

GL cews xx hope those 3 hrs pass quickly and you dont feel too yucky :(

Well did my 3 hour test this morning. First hour was a little rough but after that I felt normal but hungry. Now I am just tired but that could be from waking up at 6am. I should find out Monday if I pass or not. Fingers crossed!

I passed!!! :happydance::happydance::happydance::cloud9::happydance::happydance::happydance:

Levels were normal and I am so happy! I hate needles so the thought of giving myself shots was really making my anxiety so much worse. Cant believe I had to wait all weekend to find out but I am so flipping happy!

Good for you cews!! That's awesome. Enjoy the rest of your pregnancy xx

Thanks! Im still going to watch my carb and sugar intake since DS#1 was a big baby and he was early (almost 2 weeks). Im going to talk to my doctor about inducing at my next appt since DS#2 is already measuring 1 1/2 weeks ahead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->