Gestational Diabetes?

Perplexed

Mommy of 2
Reaction score
While I haven’t been diagnosed, I’ve been feeling very unwell especially after meals so I might request to have the glucose tolerance test early. I have access to a blood sugar monitor and decided to try testing when I first get up in the morning and before and after a meal. My early morning result seems to be an indicator for gestational diabetes and while it was high after some meals and norma after some.

I know it seems like I’m jumping the gun by taking matters into my own hands but I figure nothing is wrong with learning to use a blood sugar monitor even if I don’t end up needing it soon- diabetes runs in my family in both my parents’ sides. And I feel it would make more sense to tell my dr that I would like to have the gtt done early because of actual data than just an “inkling” that something doesn’t feel right.

I was just really curious to know, is it common for gestational diabetes to show up this early (12 weeks though I was probably at 10 weeks when I noticed the symptoms) and if diagnosed early does it mean you are more likely to require medication to lower your blood sugar later in pregnancy?

Were you tested for diabetes before you got pregnant at all? Gestational diabetes usually doesn't show until around 24 to 28 weeks. What were your blood glucose levels after eating? You should wait at least an hour to test after you're done eating. If you get a high reading 1 hour after eating then retest again 2 & 3 hours after.

My GD in pregnancy 2 turned up at 12 weeks and in pregnancy 3 at 16 weeks - I refused GTT after the first pregnancy and just monitored myself :)

Were you tested for diabetes before you got pregnant at all? Gestational diabetes usually doesn't show until around 24 to 28 weeks. What were your blood glucose levels after eating? You should wait at least an hour to test after you're done eating. If you get a high reading 1 hour after eating then retest again 2 & 3 hours after.

I was tested for diabetes but nit recently- maybe last year in the summer.

I was generally testing 2 hours after meals. Earlier in the day the results were between ans 108. Later meals were 127 & 138. The 138 was actually more like 2 and a half hrs after my last meal. My fasting ones were 98.

I saw indicators of of gestational diabetes needing to be below 95 fasting and below 120 2 hours after meals. I have to say at 138 I was feeling pretty unwell, fatigue, dizziness and seeing spots. I hope it’s a coincidence.

My GD in pregnancy 2 turned up at 12 weeks and in pregnancy 3 at 16 weeks - I refused GTT after the first pregnancy and just monitored myself :)

I guess if you are able to monitor and know what to look for, then there is no need for gtt!

I had GD with my last pregnancy and with this one I was borderline. The cut off point they used was 140 after 1 hour. I made it to 140 with my 1 hour test but I passed the 2 and 3 hour tests. I escaped having GD with this pregnancy. Diabetes also runs in my mother's side of the family, my grandmother is also full-blooded Native American so that's another risk factor. I swore up and down that I had GD early in this pregnancy but ended up just being regular pregnancy symptoms. I even had a meter and tested my sugar levels myself as well. If you're borderline type 2 diabetic or have type 2 diabetes it really makes a difference in early pregnancy.

I had GD with my last pregnancy and with this one I was borderline. The cut off point they used was 140 after 1 hour. I made it to 140 with my 1 hour test but I passed the 2 and 3 hour tests. I escaped having GD with this pregnancy. Diabetes also runs in my mother's side of the family, my grandmother is also full-blooded Native American so that's another risk factor. I swore up and down that I had GD early in this pregnancy but ended up just being regular pregnancy symptoms. I even had a meter and tested my sugar levels myself as well.

My friend had the same symptoms and also did not have gd in her last pregnancy. I guess I’ll take my notes to my dr next week and see what she says.

My friend had the same symptoms and also did not have gd in her last pregnancy. I guess I’ll take my notes to my dr next week and see what she says.
If you get really worried you can request to have the test done early. From what one of the nurses told me the blood test is a lot more accurate than the meters. I believe her because when I was around 11 weeks pregnant I got a reading of 170 - 1 hour after eating. I don't have GD obviously from what I said before, so it must have been a fluke. That was with the most popular brand on Amazon. Even having something as simple as hand sanitizer on your skin before you take the meter test can effect the results.

Last edited:
Wow! That’s so surprising! Definitely better to get tested at the hospital! Will request at my next appointment. Thank you.

Wow! That’s so surprising! Definitely better to get tested at the hospital! Will request at my next appointment. Thank you.
Good luck! I hope everything works out for you. I hope you come back and update on your results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->