Get yer mitts off my baby name

Glitch

Mummy and expecting!
Reaction score
Half joking rant post :haha:

I told my fiance I was pregnant when he got home from work, on the day I found out.
He tried to wait and lasted just under 24 hours before announcing it on facebook.

A few weeks ago, one of his friends messaged him veryy interested to know what baby names we had picked out.
Of course he told him. (we've had a boy and a girl name picked out for about 6 years)
The friend then went "oh no don't have that one! we picked that name out too for when we have kids!" (I fookin' doubt it, it's not exactly a common name :haha: )

He told me about the conversation and I told him you shouldn't really tell people early on in case they beat you to it. But oh well.

GUESS WHO JUST ANNOUNCED THEY'RE ALSO EXPECTING AND DUE THE SAME MONTH AS US :dohh::haha:

I never thought I'd be one of those people worried about a name being copied, but we have a lot of the same friends and now I can really see theirs coming first and taking the name and us looking like we copied :coffee: :haha:

Use the name anyways. Post it to Facebook and make it known what you are naming the baby. That way no one can say they are surprised once the baby is born.

When do you find out what you are having?

I purposely havnt even told my best friend my names because of this!
I like really unusual names so doubt people would pick them but i’d Never chance it

Might be worth announcing the name on FB just in case. At the end of the day, names are duplicated and there's no reason why you shouldn't keep a name because they like it. There's no copyright to baby names and you wont have the same middle/last names.

Make it clear that you wont be changing and then they might pick something else.

Hopefully find out what we're having on the 18th July :happydance:

And yeahh, I've started referring to it as "is it a Dante or an Alyssa" (our two names :haha: ) rather than is it a boy or a girl, just so it's known by our shared circle that they're the names we've picked out already :haha:

I wouldn't even mind if they did choose the same name (i'd actually prefer it if Dante was a little bit more common, just because family aren't too keen on anything that isn't standard). Just that after the conversation fiance mentioned, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they tried to say we copied :coffee:

I haven't mentioned to anyone what we're naming our son; at this point it's our business <bitchy, I don't care! Anyways, as someone mentioned before it's not like the names will be identical, do you have middle names picked out? It's not worth arguing over and chances are you could have the opposite sex! Good luck to you!

I think the problem as I see it is names are very personal, they asked for the names and gave none yet made out like they owned a certain name and didn't want Glitch to use it which seems grossly unfair. There is also the risk that if there baby comes first and is the same sex and they use the name, Glitch will be asked if she copied the name when its just not the case.

I think the problem as I see it is names are very personal, they asked for the names and gave none yet made out like they owed a certain name and didn't want Glitch to use it which seems grossly unfair. There is also the risk that if there baby comes first and is the same sex and they use the name, Glitch will be asked if she copied the name when its just not the case.

Yes! This is what worries me a bit.

They would have known they were expecting when they started prying to my partner about what names we were thinking of. And then trying to ask us not to have that one, I can just really see theirs coming first and then telling our shared social circle that we've copied them :dohh:

I wouldn't dream of asking someone not to have a name because we liked it (i'd actually like it if there were more Dante's in the world - our families don't like names that aren't popular), I just don't want to go with a name we've had for the best part of 6 years only to be accused of copying :haha:

I purposefully announced the names we would be using the second we knew becuase of this very reason! We chose a very common name (Elizabeth) but I didn't want anyone else naming their child that and then later assuming we copied. Let it be known up front! :)

Also, my cousin's son is named Dante! I absolutely LOVE it.

I like what you're doing (the is it a Dante or an Alyssa?)! That way it's well known what your name choices are.

Also, people will ask you way before the baby is due anyways. It's always the second question or third question I get. When are you due? Do you know what you're having? Do you have a name picked out?

I know some people wait until birth to tell everyone (because everyone has an opinion on names), but we tell them anyways. I don't care what their opinion is. If I did, they would be involved with the name picking process lol!

I asked and didn't tell DH's cousin, because I knew she was picking something similar. I didn't want to tell ours because I didn't want her to pick it! I just wanted to see if she was considering it. So that is why someone might ask but not tell theirs.

We had picked Harvey for ours, she was considering Hank and Henry and a couple other H names, I wanted to know if Harvey had crossed her radar WITHOUT planting the seed in her head, because we didn't tell anyone until he was born. We did tell that it was similar to what cousin picked (she settled on Henry, but told us Hank when we asked, so I'm glad I didn't give her the idea of Harvey). That said, they live in another state and we don't see them often, the kids are second cousins, so not terribly close.

Harvey and Henry are close, but different, so it worked out fine. But like I said, I didn't want to plant any ideas. We were due within a week of each other.

I would have said, well it looks like if we have the same gender then they'll have the same name. Don't even give the notion that your willing to change it. Just act like you don't care and are sticking to it. Most likely they will change their minds because they'r probably thinking the same way you are...that if you announce the name first then you have proof they copied. lol

We announced name ideas pretty early on each time. I got some comments because people feel like they have an opinion on what we name our kid? I just didn't respond and didn't budge, noone has said anything since as they know it's set in stone at this point.

Let me just tell you, Dante is an AMAZING name &#128515; My almost 15 year old is named Dante and we could not have chosen a better name for him. I love it particularly BC it is not a John or Mike. Dante has only ever had ONE Dante in school with him, and he is actually a year older. Even he loves that he has a different name from everyone, but its not so uncommon that people get it wrong. He is the only Dante other than the one at his school that I have ever met. Granted, I'm into uncommon names with powerful meanings (Dante means enduring... And my child most def lives up to his name). The name we have chosen for his little sister to be doesn't even rank on the baby charts as that's how uncommon it is, but its meaning is powerful (victor of the people). I tend to fall in love with names meanings first and then the name. :)

Buttttt may I ALSO say that I totally understand not wanting someone to name-jack you!!! My girlfriend called me up a few weeks ago frantic BC she thought a celebrity had taken my baby name!!! I FREAKED OUT and went into a frenzy looking it up. THANKFULLY, the name is not the same Lol. Similar, but different. I was worried that people would think that's where I got the name from and I would just be a copy cat. Especially since it was a celebrity using it. Meanwhile, I got it from my favorite musical since I was about 10 years old. The name just came to me one day and I fell in LOVE. Also, before that I was convinceddddd I was having a boy... As soon as I thought of her name, I just knew she was a girl. My suspicions were confirmed a few days later when they called me with my genetic testing results almost a week early. :)
If you are 100% that's what babys name will be, just start referring to baby as Dante or Alyssa now. Let your other friends worry about it.

My son is called Dante too... I don’t know anyone else personally called Dante. It’s a beautiful name and it suits my little boy beautifully.

My DH's cousin totally snagged my girl name assuming we'd not have anymore. spelling and everything lol! I say use it anyway, I'm pretty keene on doing the same myself. But for all I know we're having a boy so it'll be under the bridge one way or another ;)

Use the name anyways. Post it to Facebook and make it known what you are naming the baby. That way no one can say they are surprised once the baby is born.

When do you find out what you are having?

This. I wouldn&#8217;t even wait to know. I&#8217;d just say ___ days until we find out if baby is boy name or girl name!

I also say use it either way. You should love the name you give your kid, so don&#8217;t change on account of a potential glory thief.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->