• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Get your own personal BnB BF Champion and one-on-one BF support here!

Maybe her gums are aching or she is getting used to feeling the teeth scrape on things in her mouth. Or maybe she is just playing! Try distracting her like playing with her toes or counting fingers, where's your nose, etc.

Hello,

New Mum here. I am breastfeeding my 2 1/2 week old and really starting to get fed up. Last night he was awake for 4 hours and feeding non stop. Will this get easier? even today he wont settle for longer than 30 minutes.

Sounds like you're heading into the 3week (approx) cluster feeding phase, it is normal and more importantly it DOES pass!!! This helps build up supply for your baby's new demands as they grow. Keep up the good work mama!! :)

Just wanted to say great job to the new moms who recently posted! I'm sorry I did not get a chance to post recently,but youre all doing fantastic!!! :)

Hi my name is Amanda I had my baby girl Dec 22nd and doing really good breastfeeding but was wondering if its normal for my boobs to be sore an hour after feeding almost like they r full again . Alap when I'm feeding my nipples start to hurt. When she first latches it hurts but only for a second but about five mins into feeding they hurt.

Hi Amanda, how are things going now? It can be normal for your boobs to fill up quickly and feel a bit sore in the early days, your milk supply is mainly controlled by hormones at the start and it can go a bit crazy. Once they settle down and it's controlled more by what baby demands it should get better for you. If you are getting pain during the feed it can be a few things but the main thing to check is positioning and attachment, the more of the breast baby takes into their mouth the better as they will less likely to be nipple feeding and causing you pain x

Ty loopy for responding everything is going amazingly well now. I don't get engorged as much any more as she's been feeding alot more now. N it no longer is painful since I switch from the football postion to the cradle position. I went on Monday to a lactation consultant n she said I'm doing fantastic perfect position perfect latch n perfect swallowing. I do get a little sore in the middle of night feed on left nipple but is all better when I wake in morning

I will post this here too, in hope of an advice. Maybe someone has heard of similiar situation and can give me advice.

I just had my son 2 weeks ago. It was a wonderful homebirth that went really well. He was big at birth 4860 gr and 56 cm (10 lbs and 11 oz and 22 inches). He took the breast an hour after the birth and has been willing to take the breast ever since.

Soon I realised that he was not swallowing. I thought that my milk hadn't come in yet so I wasn't nervous and let him bf on demand. He did that a lot but at 4 days he had lost 10 % of his birthweight. I started to express milk and feed him with a supplemental nursing system. It turned out that I had milk and after 2-3 days of pumping I had plenty of it. He needs 80-100 ml per feeding and most of it he gets with the supplemental nursing system. He will only get about 10-20 ml on the breast each feeding, sometimes nothing. He has only been abel to get the let down about 4-5 times after he was born, he will stop sucking as soon as the flow slows down. Even with the supplemental nursing system he stops sucking if the flow is slow.

I need to wake him up and keep him up during feedings.

I've had midwives, nurses and lactation consultants look at him. The have no idea why he can't get the milk.

I pump easily and have plenty milk.

I've tryed some hormone spray in the nose to stimulate the let down but it doesn't work. He needs to suck to get the let down and he doesn't to that properly.

He looks healthy, he is gaining wheight, after I started to feed him the expressed milk.

He doesn's seem to be tounge tied.

He latches on very well and my nipples are never sore, even though he is on the breast a lot (both to try to get the milk himself and also to feed him with the supplemental nursing system.

He never had a bottle or a pacifer.

He is my third and I breastfed the other ones without any problems.

He sleeps a lot and he is lazy so I might think it's his personality but he needs to be abel to feed himself....

I'm so sad about this, I really want him to EBF. I wonder if he will be abel to do so in few days or weeks.

I'm taking him to the doktor tomorrow to make sure that there is nothing else wrong, but really he looks strong and healthy.

Any advice??

No ideas I'm afraid if he doesn't appear to be tongue tied .... but have you perhaps tried pumping to "initiate" the let down and then letting him feed from there?

I used to have to use my pump to get things 'started' before letting LO latch on early on just because the initial latch pain was far too intense otherwise for me... once it was started though there was no problems.

Maybe something to try?

I have probably a stupid question what is the let down. I've been ebf for a month now n still haven't figured it out

Let down starts soon after your baby starts to nurse. It's when the flow starts. You can hear the baby swallow a lot during the let down, almost in every suction.

Let down starts soon after your baby starts to nurse. It's when the flow starts. You can hear the baby swallow a lot during the let down, almost in every suction.

You can sometimes feel letdown in the opposite breast too... like if your little one is feeding on the left you might even feel tingling on the right. It also means the milk is flowing more easily and if your little one pulled off the milk might still trickle (or spray) out.

Hi there!!

I am a new mother and new at breastfeeding and I can't stop being incredibly nervous about the whole process.
My beautiful daughter was born rather small (6.2 lbs) and she is now almost two weeks old and about 6.7 lbs. I know she is gaining weight pretty well, but she does not seem to eat that much and when she does eat, it seems to be for only about seven mins. Is this normal and how do I make sure she is getting enough hind milk ?

Thanks for any advice!

Hi little I have only been breastfeeding for a month n two Weeks. But since I seen u had a fairly small I thought I would put my input in. my dd2 was born 4lbs 8ozs full term. At the beginning she was doing the same thing only feeding for five to ten minutes when I went to see a lactation consultant she told me not to worry about the time. She said to not even look,at the clock. She said as long as she is drinking she will b getting the amount she needs. Plus if ur in the early stages there's quit a few growth spurts were they cluster feed. So my advice is to not worry about the amount of time just let her feed as long as she wants.

Hi there!!

I am a new mother and new at breastfeeding and I can't stop being incredibly nervous about the whole process.
My beautiful daughter was born rather small (6.2 lbs) and she is now almost two weeks old and about 6.7 lbs. I know she is gaining weight pretty well, but she does not seem to eat that much and when she does eat, it seems to be for only about seven mins. Is this normal and how do I make sure she is getting enough hind milk ?

Thanks for any advice!

One of the tough things about breastfeeding is the uncertainty of never knowing exactly how much they are eating. You really have to trust the baby and not watch the clock too much. Some babies eat quickly, others more slowly. Also, some women have a fast letdown others a slow letdown. It sounds like your baby is gaining weight amazingly!!! Over her birthweight already. Congrats! You are clearly doing something right and it sounds like breastfeeding is a great fit for you :)

bbygurl, that is really relieving to hear! I am living in Germany, but my German is still not all that good, so it is difficult for me to find support around me. My mother in law lives near by, but she used formula and so when I have worries, she seems to think formula is the easier option.

Jokerette, you made me feel incredibly positive about breastfeeding! I actually had to read the last part of your comment to my husband, just because it made me feel empowered, and I have been feeling pretty insecure about feeding so far :)

Little I formula fed DD 1. I breastfed for three Weeks with her having tongue tie in pain. Formula is an easier option. But with breastfeeding dd2 I would much rather do the harder option. Its stage to feel confident enough to respond to u cuz I was in the same position as u a few Weeks ago n feeling insecure. When everyone say it gets better it truely does. It becomes second nature

bbygurl, that is really relieving to hear! I am living in Germany, but my German is still not all that good, so it is difficult for me to find support around me. My mother in law lives near by, but she used formula and so when I have worries, she seems to think formula is the easier option.

Jokerette, you made me feel incredibly positive about breastfeeding! I actually had to read the last part of your comment to my husband, just because it made me feel empowered, and I have been feeling pretty insecure about feeding so far :)

Youre very welcome! PM me if you ever want to talk , xoxoxox

Little I formula fed DD 1. I breastfed for three Weeks with her having tongue tie in pain. Formula is an easier option. But with breastfeeding dd2 I would much rather do the harder option. Its stage to feel confident enough to respond to u cuz I was in the same position as u a few Weeks ago n feeling insecure. When everyone say it gets better it truely does. It becomes second nature

True, at the beginning Formula might seem like the easier option because other people can help out and you can measure how muvh they are drinking, but trust me before long BFing becomes way more convenient and is by far the easiest! No bottles to warm or wash or bring with you. And its nutritionally the best thing for them! :)

Hi there!!

Thanks for any advice!

It is normal. Small babies eat very little. Jade was 5.8 oz at birth, and I was also worried that she wasn't eating enough. To this day she only drinks 4oz of milk in every feeding (unless she's on a growing spurt). She is still little for her age (still wears 3-6 when she's 7mo) but she is healthy, chubby, and developing very well. Your baby will know how much she wants to eat. If you feel she's not getting enough, just offer it more often. She won't eat much if she's hungry. If you already made the decision of breastfeeding, don't give up! We all had our struggles, but it does pays off :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->